Longer Hair = Longer Time Between Relaxer Touch-Up

ellennicole

I don't know if anyone has posted this question before. I've noticed that my friends and even most of the women on this board with below the shoulder or more length hair, wait a longer period of time between relaxer touch-ups. I've also noticed that women with shorter hair tend to relax every 6-8 weeks. Is this because it's easier to wait when you have longer hair or does waiting the 6-8 weeks break your hair off? I've heard many beauticians say that if you waited longer than 8 weeks it will break your hair off. Any thoughts?

prettygirl

my hair is shortand I go up to three months without breakage ,because this is what I am use to doing in Jamaica ,I deep condition my hair to make my roots softer and this causestless breakage to occurs. butif your hair starts breaking after a certain period, then you should get a relaxer in a shorter time. the reason I still wait this long for a relaxer is to minimize over procesing which will result in breakge.So if you relax your hair in a less period of time then your hair care professional should try his or her utmost not to overlap on the already proceed hair, as you have less new growth in 6 weeks than u would have in 12weeks.

Zahira999

I think waiting a long period between relaxer touch-ups is good for the hair. Waiting three months doesn't harm the hair. When your hair has grown at least an inch, it is better to comb your hair more slowly because the hair will not break that much. I use organic products and these products make my natural growth softer. But honestly, I think if you're going to relax your hair less than three moneths(at least two months) I will defintely deep condition my hair every time aI wash it to make it stronger...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Re: Longer Hair = Longer Time Between Relaxer Touc

Well,

There's a fine line when doing this. Some ladies have mastered waiting lengthy amounts between touch-ups. Some have found great products that help to keep the new growth manageable. Some may even use a little heat on the new growth to tame it.

Me personally--I can not go for a super-extended time without a re-touch. I have experimented and it just doesn't work. When I used to blow dry my hair, it was not a problem waiting long between relaxers because I was straightening my new growth each week with the dryer. But now that I air dry--it just doesn't work anymore. I can only wait about every 10 weeks. .

Peachtree

Personally, I've always allowed 4-6 mths between touchups...even when I sported a 2" long back shaven "Halle" do. Of course back then I didn't have a regime... I was into hot curling, blow drying, etc, so the direct heat made it much easier for me to manage the new growth.

Now that I have more length, I still wait 4-6 mths between touch ups. I haven't used direct heat in 10 mths; I haven't used my hooded dryer in 3 mths. I'm 12 wks post touch up with approx 3" growth in some areas. I really need a touch up, but as long as I'm not "breaking" nor excessively shedding, then I plan to stick to my guns and allow my usual 4-6 mths before touching up.

Beauticians will make hair generalizations to anyone that will listen. I, of course, don't listen to them only cuz I know different & what's best for my hair.

BTW, a lot of times, beauticians / stylists will "scare the pants off of u" with that "your hair will break" after 4-6 wks tactic. Often times, it's just the "dolla' bill $$$$ signs" rolling around in their heads...

ms_kenesha

It definitely depends on hair texture. I think for the most part the women that wait the longest have a hair texture that allows the strain between unrelaxed and relaxed to not be as harsh and therefor they can wait longer which may in turn lead to longer hair. Those who cannot wait longer may have shorter hair because of their not being able to wait longer and or the fact that (don't anyone beat me up
) with a "coarser" hair texture it seems more of a "project" to grow long hair than having a looser curl pattern. I am one of these people who cannot wait a long time and it also requires extreme dilligence for my hair to make it past shoulder length and look like something (i.e. be healthy as well).

katie

I agree.I think hair texture does make a big difference in how long one can go without a touchup.
I also agree about it being more of a "project"to attain long hair,the coarser your hair is.The reason for that being that the textures are just too differnet and you are therefore more prone to breakage the more kinky your hair is.

EmeraldSky

I wait anywhere from 10 weeks to 16 weeks depending on the season and how my hair is feeling, but I try not to go any sooner than 10 weeks. Doing this works for me because there is less chance of overlapping also I believe that the less often a chemical is applied to my scalp the healthier my scalp is. I waited 17 weeks once, but I did that in the fall so my hair was in protective styles most of the time. In the summer I get it done sooner. I agree with everyone who said that it also depends on hair type and how moisturized the new growth is.

peacelove

I am torn with this. I just waited about 10 weeks and got my touch up yesterday. My hair growth is noticeable, however, I have quite a bit of breakage at the crowm of my hair. My hair grows quicker in the crown, and although I tried to keep it moisturized, it still broke. I think you just have to use your judgement and know when its time to go for that touch up. I really wish I could wait longer, but I think I am going to have to settle at about 8 weeks between perms.

ComfortablyNumb

Before talking to friends in college and looking at this hair board i had no idea that people's hair breaks when they go long periods of time without a touchup...when I had a relaxer I would get a touchup every 6 months or so. I have a 3-ish hair type but I believe anyone could succesfully go longer...just look at all the 4's that transition to natural rather than cutting off all the relaxed hair in one swoop...If everyone's hair breaks uncontrollably after 8 weeks, no one would transition.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
Before talking to friends in college and looking at this hair board i had no idea that people's hair breaks when they go long periods of time without a touchup...when I had a relaxer I would get a touchup every 6 months or so. I have a 3-ish hair type but I believe anyone could succesfully go longer...just look at all the 4's that transition to natural rather than cutting off all the relaxed hair in one swoop...If everyone's hair breaks uncontrollably after 8 weeks, no one would transition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think everyone's hair breaks uncontrollably after 8wks, but speaking as a 4 I know that MY hair breaks after 8 wks. I once tried to wait 14 wks and it was the worst possible thing I could have done and it was a major hair setback for me because I had to get at least 3 inches cut. Like Peacelove I have a little breakage at the crown because that's where my hair grows the fastest and my relaxer/natural demarcation line split. Don't forget everyone's hair is different and if what worked for one worked for all we'd all have the same favorite products and regimes, but we don't because we're all different.

nita4

I have to agree with Emeraldsky, no sooner then 10 weeks and trying to learn how to go longer. Why? Because I feel it's better for my hair and scalp. I'm a 4 and I have to be very gentle with my hair after 10 weeks. Its really just a matter of finding what works for you.

beana3

Reflective of Supergirl and Ms kenesha's views.. I tend agree that for most 4 type heads (myself included) there might not be any benefits in waiting longer in between touch ups. since most 4's hair differs greatly from the texture of their relaxed hair.. this may cause breakage (b/c of dramatic difference in textures)and waiting too long in between touch ups may spell out Unnecessary breakage.

I'm actually a firm believer in relaxing the hair whenever i accumulate 1 inch of growth.. be it 4 weeks or 4months. This is not something i would actively recommend (4 weeks), BUT for my 4a hair its necessary or else i'll experience lots of breakage and end oup having to trim my hair when it could have been avoided.

Personally 8 weeks it is what generally goes.. 10 weeks max

Stormy

I guess it just depends on the person's hair and how they handle it after so many weeks because I'm a type 4A and the longer I wait the better. My hair gets stronger and I have less breakage the next time I relax my hair. I wait on average 10-12 weeks.

Now...I do have to be extra gentle with it and moisturize it A LOT! I use products that keep my new growth extra soft so combing is easier. After 8 weeks I wear nothing but protective styles. This way I'm not manipulating it too much. If I didn't do these things then yes I would get a lot of breakage.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it just depends on the person's hair and how they handle it after so many weeks because I'm a type 4A and the longer I wait the better. My hair gets stronger and I have less breakage the next time I relax my hair. I wait on average 10-12 weeks.

Now...I do have to be extra gentle with it and moisturize it A LOT! I use products that keep my new growth extra soft so combing is easier. After 8 weeks I wear nothing but protective styles. This way I'm not manipulating it too much. If I didn't do these things then yes I would get a lot of breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same for me. I try to wait at least twelve weeks and I am also a type 4.

Karonica

I prefer the 6-8 week method and my hair is actually touching my bra-strap at the moment, although I want it to grow a little longer all over in the back before I officially claim it "brastrap length."

My new growth is very curly, a slightly loose coil, and although my hair is straight when it's wet, the difference between my new growth and straight, permed hair when dry is enough to cause breakage when combing. That's why I've been stressing over the underprocessed hair, and that's also why I prefer not to go past 8 weeks for a perm, unless my hair is in protective styles week after week.

gvsugirl

My hair only began breaking off around the 6-8th week but that was when I was airdrying and there was lots of frizz. Now that I'm flat ironing weekly, I can go longer without breakage and my new growth is softer

Sweet C

For me I typically wait 8 weeks. I am in the process of trying to stretch it a little longer, but for me, 8, maybe 9 weeks max is the most I can afford in the summer time especially. When my hair starts gets to the 6 week mark, I make sure I am extra gentle with it, and often times deep condtion my hair slightly longer when I was it. I believe that waiting a little longer helps, but that is something u must "train" your hair to do. Quick Question: What is a protective style?