Long Term Effects of Using Miconazole Nitrate (Monistat) on Scalp?

Has anyone checked into the long term effects of using Miconazole Nitrate (Monistat) on the scalp? Although I have seen some good results from one person's pictures, I must admit it sounds a little bizarre. While I'm down for experimentation I'm just wondering if anyone looked into this? Don't we need a certain amount of bacteria on our skin (including scalp) to protect it and keep it balanced? Could using MN for months at a time cause damage over the long run?

Can anyone offer insight on this?

seraphim712

As much as I would like to try this out, I am sorely afraid that I might get brain cell damage or some other terminal illness. Is there a natural form of MN that's not chemically altered and can be used on hair?

hothair

It seeps into your scalp and eats your brains and may GROW coochie on your head!

:lachen:
j/k:look: well it was the first thing I thought when I saw the title *kicks pebble out of thread*

Evazhair

Has anyone checked into the long term effects of using Miconazole Nitrate (Monistat) on the scalp? Although I have seen some good results from one person's pictures, I must admit it sounds a little bizarre. While I'm down for experimentation I'm just wondering if anyone looked into this? Don't we need a certain amount of bacteria on our skin (including scalp) to protect it and keep it balanced? Could using MN for months at a time cause damage over the long run?

Can anyone offer insight on this?

Miconozole Nitrate is an anti-fungal, not antibacterial.
If you do a google search, you can find some studies pertaining to its use. I have seen in the past, I believe HoneyDew or someone posted links in at least one of the many threads on this subject. I am not sure how long term the studies are. I think most people don't intend to use it long term. HTH

mrshicks2002

Miconozole Nitrate is an anti-fungal, not antibacterial.
If you do a google search, you can find some studies pertaining to its use. I have seen in the past, I believe HoneyDew or someone posted links in at least one of the many threads on this subject. I am not sure how long term the studies are. I think most people don't intend to use it long term. HTH

I agree and here is a link also that tells more about it and hair growth.
http://www.womanhairgrowth.com/miconazole-nitrate-hair-growth.htm

naturalhigh

I was seriously considering using mn. I was in my local health store yesterday and started talking to the owner about hair etc. I was using ultra hair plus w/msm and gaining weight so changed to the w/o msm version. Anyway.....I brought up the subject of mn, he was bald. This is is what he told me....he used mn for a period of time (months) and woke up one day with no feeling in one side of his face....he went to the doc, he had Bell's Palsey! He said DON'T use it on your head....period. Too many unknowns!!! Just thought I'd share....

My Friend

I was seriously considering using mn. I was in my local health store yesterday and started talking to the owner about hair etc. I was using ultra hair plus w/msm and gaining weight so changed to the w/o msm version. Anyway.....I brought up the subject of mn, he was bald. This is is what he told me....he used mn for a period of time (months) and woke up one day with no feeling in one side of his face....he went to the doc, he had Bell's Palsey! He said DON'T use it on your head....period. Too many unknowns!!! Just thought I'd share....

Seems like Herpes may cause BP or an infection

Some viruses are thought to establish a persistent (or latent) infection without symptoms, e.g. the Zoster virus of the face[3] and Epstein-Barr viruses, both of the herpes family. Reactivation of an existing (dormant) viral infection has been suggested[4] as cause behind the acute Bell's palsy. Studies[5] suggest that this new activation could be preceded by trauma, environmental factors, and metabolic or emotional disorders, thus suggesting that stress - emotional stress, environmental stress (e.g. cold), physical stress (e.g. trauma) - in short, a host of different conditions, may trigger reactivation

MsMwana

I'm a final year medical student... not claiming that my word is gospel but my knowledge about mn is that the active part is the nitrate. Nitrates are vasodilators which means they open up blood vessels and encourage blood flow where they are applied. People here have often referred to MN as an oxidising agent, not strictly true...only in the sense that more oxygen reaches you scalp when used as outlined above. Similarly people who have heart attacks are given nitrates to encourage blood flow to the heart. Bell's paulsy is unlikely to be related... HTH just my humble 2 cents...

ThickHair

Nothing will make your hair grow any faster than what it is going to grow. Save your money and eat right and exercise.

MsMwana

Nothing will make your hair grow any faster than what it is going to grow. Save your money and eat right and exercise.

I disagree, if your hair is clean and you create the right environment (by increasing blood flow, with the right proteins etc) you can optimise the speed of hair growth. Just as if you don't eat right or are anemic for example your hair will grow slower.

Ms. Thujone

Um, there are many of people that would beg to differ.....Do you have proof/facts to back this up?...Nope, you sure don't. This is a blanket statement & is VERY untrue. I had 12 inches of NEW GROWTH in 8/2010 (not including what I have trimmed so far) and it hasn't been 2 yrs since I went natural again (11/2008). This rapid growth is due to the vitamins & herbs I have taken internally. (hair grows 6in/yr:0.5in/mo)

I did not use any growth oils or scalp treatments either. I wish I had, I would definitely have even more growth. I would love to find something to apply externally to my scalp, but I have yet to find anything worth trying or buying. I have a VERY open mind, if this MN is working for these ladies then good for them. I may not be brave enough to try it myself but I wont sit up here & say it doesn't work just because it sounds far fetched.

charmtreese

I just recently started using MN, trying to fill in a breakage spot. I don't plan on using it for more then 90 days at a time( if that long).

aa9746

I just started using it once a week (3 or 4 times so far). So far my scalp is healthier and no dandruff. I don't know yet if it's helping my growth.

Carisa

I havent had any side effects....I guess i assumed if i could use it in the "area" its supposed to go in then i could use it anywher (but then again i could be wrong lol)

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I am not sure why people continually question the safety of MN. It was developed as a topical treatment for skin absorption. Your body will not differentiate between placement on genitals or on your head. In either case, its still used topically as an anti-fungal.