Miconazole Nitrate (Monistat or Neosporin AF) Side Effects

cocoberry10

Has anyone had any "side effects" from using this? I'm not sure if it's this or some other product I'm using, but I had a little breakout of about 3 pimples on the left side of my face, right near my scalp. I NEVER GET PIMPLES, so I'm thinking it might be the castor oil moisturizer or some of the oils I mixed into my mix. Hopefully they will be gone soon.

amwcah

I have been using it for about 3 weeks now. I noticed an itch scalp at first, but no breakouts.

cutiebe2

the most common side effect is headaches. One poster recently reported that is a normal consequence of nitrate products. I found that when I used pure MN instead of NeoAF (which must have some other chemicals besides MN), my headaches stopped.

cocoberry10

cutiebe2 said:
the most common side effect is headaches. One poster recently reported that is a normal consequence of nitrate products. I found that when I used pure MN instead of NeoAF (which must have some other chemicals besides MN), my headaches stopped.

Luckily, I haven't had any headaches. I have good skin normally, so the pimples are clearing up fast.

Where do you get pure MN? Lately I've been using a 4% MN mix. The MN is in the "monistat" creme. Is that pure MN? If not, where can I get pure MN? Thanks!

HoneyDew

I got headaches. Not lingering throbbing ones, it was different. For example, if I put it on my scalp before bed and then tied my hair up as I normally do, the scarf felt too tight and my head would start to hurt - you know how it feels when you tie the scarf on too tight. Also I would get a head rush kinda headache. Like while I was doing my regular Pilates work and had to hold my breath or strain or something, I would get a head rush. I sometimes woke up with headaches, too.

This decreased when I stopped using it everyday. I started using 2 times a week instead of daily and these side effects stopped for the most part.

Then I stopped using MN all together and I feel totally normal. I have not been using the MN now because I don't want to be bothered anymore. I keep wanting to because it does CRANK out some hair, but it became more of a nuisance for me.

It also can cause dryness of the hair, but that can be solved my adding it to products or using the moisturizing MN products that some ladies use.

Other than that I never noticed anything. But, headaches are enough!

HoneyDew

To add, you might want to do a search. There is a thread out there with ladies talking about side effects.