LONG HAIRED NATURAL 4A/B's

mrsgreene

Hey this is my first post. I've been lurking for a very long time. Anyway I am a natural 4a/4b. While my hair is healthier than it has ever been in my life and longer too (my hair has never been passed nape length and currently grazing my shoulders) thanks to you ladies. I really could use some encouragment from naturals who have grow long healthy strands without any chemicals. I am constantly hearing negative comments about my hair's potential any advice will help. Thanks

hey, welcome aboard mrs. g! my hair isnt particularly long, but we have some ladies here who can offer you tons of advice! :D

Hey:wave: welcome! First I'd like to say congrats on growing out your hair! While I'm not a natural (currently texturized) I can say that there are so many beautiful options for natural sistah and the ladies here are really inspiring! Whenever someone says some thing negative about naptural hair just shake it off I think they do if for the following reasons 1. Ignorance/shame (shame of themselves and beautiful African hair) 2. jealousy (probably because they abuse their hair it will never grow out beautifully whether natural or not). So be possitive and keep growing...my person favorite naturals are Kha and Netta1. Their hair is beautiful inspirations for all to admire.:)

A shout out to Jessy55. I currently correspond with her concerning my naps. After banding I, too saw that my hair was at it's longest point. Actually in ONE year of being natural I went from almost bald to the longest length that I had when relaxed, even with the botched up haircuts that I had. When I wore a relaxer, I ALWAYS had severe breakage. If I get shoulder length hair I will be amazed!! I think that you have already proven others wrong by obtainingthe length that you now have. When I took my bands out, I was surprised to see that the ends of my hair touched the bottom of my collar. Now, armed with the help that I got from Jessy55, I KNOW that I can get great lengths. It is all about length RETENTION. Our hair GROWS, but we often break it off just as fast as it grows. Hope that helps.

Stay positive, sweetie. I am hoping to grow my natural hair longer than my relaxed hair was. We will get there.

I've never had an issue growing my hair out without chemicals- I could go several months without relaxing but as soon as I relaxed my hair would all break off. You can definitely do it- keeping your hair moisturized is the key. I'd check out the albums mentioned above- also Faith has a great album even though she's relaxed now she grew her hair quite long natural.

Brush off anyone that doubts your hair's potential- they'll be wowed when they see how long your natural healthy hair grows on out :)

What they said!

I never really paid attention to my hair until a couple of years ago lol...I definitely recommend moisturizng your ends and being careful with severe ponytails/buns and those elastic band thingies.

Is there a natural grow out challenge? It would be a good idea for us newly naturals to have a goal in mind. My hair type is 4a/b

sbaker said:
Is there a natural grow out challenge? It would be a good idea for us newly naturals to have a goal in mind. My hair type is 4a/b

That's a good idea! How would we measure? Stretching, braids, temporary straightening (would have to be after a while though to prevent excessive heat!)

mrsgreene said:
Hey this is my first post. I've been lurking for a very long time. Anyway I am a natural 4a/4b. While my hair is healthier than it has ever been in my life and longer too (my hair has never been passed nape length and currently grazing my shoulders) thanks to you ladies. I really could use some encouragment from naturals who have grow long healthy strands without any chemicals. I am constantly hearing negative comments about my hair's potential any advice will help. Thanks

Hi there and welcome to the board! Stay strong! It is definitely possible for 4a/4b hair to grow. Check out my album!

Hello and welcom! My hair sounds like it is at the same length as yours.

It also sounds like your hair is proof already that it can certainly grow without the chemicals. It took a year to grow from 3 inch BC to 8 to 10 inches long. With a perm...I just could not get that. It would break off constantly. My hair just does not do well with the chemicals, no matter how much I "coddled" it.

I have tons of links and fotki friends in my album that are living proof that natural "4a/b" hair can grow, florish, be worn long or big, and survive just fine without pressing it or relaxing it.

It also might be good to find old photos on the web of hair of our natural ancestors before the relaxer was invented. Their hair is AMAZING!!! They had long healthy hair...and THEY didnt relax it.

Welcome. There are many members here who have beautiful long natural hair, you must visit mkstar's album, she was the first member to inspire me to strive for great growth. Also if you are familiar with fotki or nappturality.com. You must check out Carefree, Jentel, Law, Micarae, SweetAfrica, they all have awesome heads of hair and started with the big chop. :)

Welcome to the forum! I'm also a natural 3c/4something. My last relaxer was in late 2002 so believe me it doesn't take very long to grow your hair out- just be patient. Check out my album!

your already shoulder lenght so you've made great progress so far. if i can give you any advice just remember these 4 important things:

conditon
moisturize
avoid heat
have patience

good luck!

Back