:::LITTLE GIRLS AND BOB CUTS:::

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
That cut is not what's up for a little girl :nono:

What's wrong with letting kids be kids? Sheesh! Girls are growing up way too damn fast these days.

Cichelle

I had my daughter's hair cut into a bob a few months ago after she deliberately put gum in it that could not be removed. It wasn't as short as the pic in the original post, though. It was a bob just above shoulder length, with very slight layering in the back. She is a little peanut and hardly looked "grown". But she did act like a brand new person, swinging her hair around. She loves having short hair. Go figure. I was :cry: inside. But I didn't let her know it. I probably have a pic around here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now.

secretrose

This style is not too grown, it's too much work! Who in their right mind would want to blow dry/flat iron and wrap their kids hair at night to maintain this style. On little white children, this is a low maintainance style. They can go to sleep and wake up with the style with minimal effort. I think it makes sense for parents to choose styles with the least amount of effort for their kids.

lisana

Interesting post. Before bobs were all the rage, I would sometimes see little white girls with bobs and I thought they were so cute. It wasn't until later that I noticed bobs became popular as a slick, sophisticated style for adults. Bobs are actually really easy to maintain for someone with naturally straight hair. For a child with a natural hair type that would carry a bob, it would be a perfect style for a mom to maintain, she would have style for her kid that is always nice and have to do very little upkeep except for getting it cut. On the other hand, people who have hair that is not naturally conducive to a bob would look at a bob as a high maintenance style because it would be. So I think it just depends on who you are and your point of reference.

Anew

I see bobs on little white girls all the time. I think they are fine for young girls and probably done for manageability. It's easier for whites to deal with a bob than waistlength hair on a 7 year old, I'm sure. On the flip-side, it would be more work for a 7 year old black girl with 4a hair for ex, to wear a straight bob style--so that's why we (black people) see it as a more grown-up style.
That's not why for me, lol

Southernbella.

Actually this was normal for me growing up in reference to my white girlfriends (I'm 21 now).

This looks less grown to me than some of the weaves little black girls are sporting! :nono:

If I saw a young girl who liked soccer, gymnastics, etc. and preferred shorter hair to get her "score" on...why would I think she was being "grown"?

Even if she didn't like those things, I'd still think she was being less grown than if she had "pageant hair" spiral curled, back-combed, and teased into place with ribbons down her back!

I think we as black women associate these styles with woman hood far more than the white mothers of these children do, as, let's face it -the stereotype of all of us not having long hair comes from the fact we often wear fierce (but short) cuts.

More than anything people would think she has a "soccer mom" cut! :lachen:

Exactly. She was doing what was best for her child. Who are we to judge? :giggle:

glamazon386

Interesting post. Before bobs were all the rage, I would sometimes see little white girls with bobs and I thought they were so cute. It wasn't until later that I noticed bobs became popular as a slick, sophisticated style for adults. Bobs are actually really easy to maintain for someone with naturally straight hair. For a child with a natural hair type that would carry a bob, it would be a perfect style for a mom to maintain, she would have style for her kid that is always nice and have to do very little upkeep except for getting it cut. On the other hand, people who have hair that is not naturally conducive to a bob would look at a bob as a high maintenance style because it would be. So I think it just depends on who you are and your point of reference.[/COLOR]

Exactly. You have to work with your hair not against it. Also, most little black girls wear braids, ponytails, twists, etc. and if you cut the hair too short (especially if they're natural and have shrinkage) it won't be long enough to do those styles. Little white girls typically wear their hair loose. We do not.

malachi74

the little girl on Atonement's hair was like that wasn't it? i think it's fine, their face will make it youthful and boyish looking, not sexy.