:::LITTLE GIRLS AND BOB CUTS:::

Anew

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here but yesterday while out at a company luncheon I noticed a little white girl, she looked to be about 7 or 8, and she had one of the best bobs I've ever seen, lol. Think of Victoria Beckham, that's her hair. So I asked my coworkers if they've ever seen any little black girls with cuts like that. Never.

Now the cut on the little girl was cute, but I thought it was too grown. I was just trying to imagine my daughter who is 9 and about the same size as that little girl with a fly cut like that. I think I'd have a fit and everyone else too :lachen:

How do you feel or what do you think about little girls with bobs

The girls hair was exactly like this

Ediese

I dont' know how I'd feel about it. I don't think it's age appropriate for a little girl though.

LivingDoll

Whites and asians have been cutting their kids hair into bobs for ages. It's nothing new really. For them I think its an issue of manageability. I doubt any black people would do this for obvious reasons. I know black women who can't care for their own hair and can't even pull it into a half decent ponytail...their daughters definitely won't be rocking a bob. I think it's a way more high maintenance style for some than others. Also, for many black people long hair is synonymous with beauty. Most black parents wouldn't cut their daughters hair that short.

The VB style pictured above is way too sophisticated for a child, imo. But I do like bobs on the kids I've seen.

Last edited:

Anew

Yeah, most kids I see with the bob cuts may have a little bang or it may be even all around, but I've never seen anything like the VB cut on a little girl.

LivingDoll

Yeah, most kids I see with the bob cuts may have a little bang or it may be even all around, but I've never seen anything like the VB cut on a little girl.

Me neither...I couldn't imagine. These kids nowadays are spoiled rotten half the time. She probably threw a tantrum to get her hair cut like that.

MonPetite

Actually this was normal for me growing up in reference to my white girlfriends (I'm 21 now).

This looks less grown to me than some of the weaves little black girls are sporting! :nono:

If I saw a young girl who liked soccer, gymnastics, etc. and preferred shorter hair to get her "score" on...why would I think she was being "grown"?

Even if she didn't like those things, I'd still think she was being less grown than if she had "pageant hair" spiral curled, back-combed, and teased into place with ribbons down her back!

I think we as black women associate these styles with woman hood far more than the white mothers of these children do, as, let's face it -the stereotype of all of us not having long hair comes from the fact we often wear fierce (but short) cuts.

More than anything people would think she has a "soccer mom" cut! :lachen:

wannabelong

I have a 7 year old and I think that hair cut is a bit too grown for her. The haircut is FIERCE! Plus like Daephae stated, I would NEVER think of cutting my daughter's hair that short.

jndurieux

I think that there is a double standard with white girls and black girls with grown up hairstyles. If I ever bought my daughter around with a bob hair cut especially like victoria beckham, I would be seen as ghetto and ignorant...now a white little girl has the same hairstyle and no one bats a eyelash... I usually see little white girls with haircuts exactly like their mother's. I used to work in Supercuts( that was a disaster...but I digress..lol) and the white mom's would always walk in there with their daughters as little as 3 and get their hair cut just like their's and think it was so adorable..i thought it was a hot mess. let kids be kids...sorry for the rant.

Anew

Actually this was normal for me growing up in reference to my white girlfriends (I'm 21 now).

This looks less grown to me than some of the weaves little black girls are sporting! :nono:

If I saw a young girl who liked soccer, gymnastics, etc. and preferred shorter hair to get her "score" on...why would I think she was being "grown"?

Even if she didn't like those things, I'd still think she was being less grown than if she had "pageant hair" spiral curled, back-combed, and teased into place with ribbons down her back!

I think we as black women associate these styles with woman hood far more than the white mothers of these children do, as, let's face it -the stereotype of all of us not having long hair comes from the fact we often wear fierce (but short) cuts.

More than anything people would think she has a "soccer mom" cut! :lachen:
You don't think that VB cut with hair cut down really low in the back is grown on a 7 y/o? Not a regular bob most of the little girls wear but the one in the picture.

I've never seen little black kids with weaves, lol. Braids or 2 strand twists maybe but not a weave. I'd have a fit, lol

Anew

I can understand the bob cuts for those little girls, its cute sometimes. But this particular hair cut was not age appropriate I don't think. Picture yourself at 7 with that hair cut in the pic posted.

Oh I won't touch on stereotypes, lol

crazydaze911

OMG - this is so funny. my god-daughter has been telling her mom she wants to cut her hair like Rihanna for MONTHS now. She is 5 and has hair past her butt - her mom tells her "only 10 year olds can cut their hair" - lol.

ladybug71

Victoria's cut is a little too grown and sexy for someone under 10. However, I do like the more longer bob cuts on little girls like how Suri's hair is cut (chin length). I always hear stylist on tv describe it as "little french school girl"-type cut.

MonPetite

You don't think that VB cut with hair cut down really low in the back is grown on a 7 y/o? Not a regular bob most of the little girls wear but the one in the picture.

I've never seen little black kids with weaves, lol. Braids or 2 strand twists maybe but not a weave. I'd have a fit, lol

No.

"Really low in the back" doesn't automatically equal "grown" in my mind. At least as it pertains to hair. Especially when I see twice as many little boys wearing the same look. :lachen:Let us not forget Posh's look is UNISEX.

Another 2.5 inches off the front and it would be GAMINE.

Just because Black women may wear it often doesn't change that.

Come to think of it...a LOT of the short cuts often seen on Black women could be sported by non-black men with metrosexualized ease.

As another poster mentioned there IS a double standard for white vs. black girls in terms of hairstyles as many people see "little black girl" styles as some kind of banded look, loaded with beads and barrettes.

And YES some people are putting weaves on young girls. :nono:

I agree kids should be kids (my mom kept me in french braids until high school, though other Black women WANTED her to get my hair cut in a "style"!!)...but a unisex hairstyle does not a "grown-acting" child make.

Divine_Order

Dang, I can remember being a kid and begging my mom to cut me some bangs. She would say, "no, that's too grown"....she said the same thing about my being able to wear one ponytail too (up until I turned 10).:nono:

I thought my mom was so mean!

Anew

Oh wow, I'm just trying to picture a little black girl with that same cut, only her hair would be something like Rhianna's length in the back or shaved

brittanynic16

I saw a little girl with this hair cut too, and I thought it was fly. I think she was 3. Having a great cut is the best way to look put together. I see many little girl (and/or their mothers) trying to hang on to every inch and sometimes it is not flattering at all. Having a good hair cut can improve your self image and make you feel great. I don't see anything wrong with it, and I would totally do it. More Black women need actual hair styles IMO. I think it's a great idea to encourage little girls that style and health are more important than length. If more BW learned that we and others wouldn't think we are suppose to be bald.

JustKiya

I don't think it's too grown, at all, but then I've never really understood the concept of 'too grown' anyhow, when it comes to hair. Are children not allowed to have their own sense of style? :look:

:lol: I'd rather see a little girl with a bob than a weave, that's for danngone sure.

Sha76

I thin that a layered bob like vicotria beckham is too grown definitly, but a even bod at the shoulders is not.

Anew

I don't think it's too grown, at all, but then I've never really understood the concept of 'too grown' anyhow, when it comes to hair. Are children not allowed to have their own sense of style? :look:

:lol: I'd rather see a little girl with a bob than a weave, that's for danngone sure.

...kids with micros, quick weaves, stacked bobs, colored hair, etc...

When my daughter was 7 and when I used to get a sew in she wanted one. I wish I would, lol

JustKiya

...kids with micros, quick weaves, stacked bobs, colored hair, etc...

When my daughter was 7 and when I used to get a sew in she wanted one. I wish I would, lol

I don't think kids should wear micros because they are bad for the hairline (hell, I don't think anyone should, most times).
I don't think kids should wear quick weaves because it's bad for their developing self-image (or get elective plastic surgery for the same reason)
I've got nothing against stacked bobs or colored hair, if that's what the child wants.

:lol: Still don't get the 'too grown' thing, but thanks for trying to help. I'm odd. :lol:

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
The hairstyle would be too grown for a little black girl if she didn't have naturally straight hair. Otherwise consistent flatironing or a relaxer would be too much to me.

If if was naturally curly or kinky it wouldn't lay like that so it'd resemble a puff or a little fro. Neither of which I see as too grown.

glamazon386

I had my hair cut in a bob when I was 12. Mother let my cousin braid my hair for vacation that summer and the braid hair jacked my hair up. It was really uneven when I took them out. When they evened it out I had a bob. I didn't have all those layers and stuff like Posh but it was cute though. And it grew out quickly. I was just excited that I got to wear my hair down. Before it was always braided up.

I think 7 or 8 is too young to have a layered/stacked bob like Posh :look: But if that's the child's length then I would leave it alone. Maybe give her a little bang in the front and even the rest out. You can style it appropriately for the child's age for an older child. I was only allowed to wear my hair down for special occasions until I was 11 or 12. Then I wore it down regularly. 7 or 8 is too young.

Last edited:

NikStarrr

I see bobs on little white girls all the time. I think they are fine for young girls and probably done for manageability. It's easier for whites to deal with a bob than waistlength hair on a 7 year old, I'm sure. On the flip-side, it would be more work for a 7 year old black girl with 4a hair for ex, to wear a straight bob style--so that's why we (black people) see it as a more grown-up style.

RegaLady

I have seen a little white girl with a bob, and she really stood out of a pool of other long hair girls. She never struck me as 'grown', or I never questioned why she cut it. It just looked so cute and put together.:yep: I wouldn't cut my daughters hair like that because it would be too high maintenance for a little black girl. As someone mentioned before, that would be alot of flat ironing. Just as black women wear hairstyles that look 'too young' on them, little black girls can also wear hairstyles that can go shorter:look:.

SignatureBeauty

I don't see nothing wrong with it, it is alot of styles that are considered "too grown", alot of little girls want to be like their mom, it will grow back out, I have seen little black girls at 5 years old with a weave or phony pony wearing colored lipgloss. I am sure by the time she starts running and playing it will look a "kid" mess.

Soliel185

I think how "grown" something is or looks depends alot of the rest of the child's dress and demeanor....most of the little girls with bobs I see look and act their age otherwise so the hair never strikes me as being "grown"

As far as multi/unnatural colors, sticky shellacked hairstyles, or weave on little girls -- I think that's just tacky as opposed to "grown"

Allandra

Whites and asians have been cutting their kids hair into bobs for ages. It's nothing new really. For them I think its an issue of manageability. I doubt any black people would do this for obvious reasons. I know black women who can't care for their own hair and can't even pull it into a half decent ponytail...their daughters definitely won't be rocking a bob. I think it's a way more high maintenance style for some than others. Also, for many black people long hair is synonymous with beauty. Most black parents wouldn't cut their daughters hair that short.

The VB style pictured above is way too sophisticated for a child, imo. But I do like bobs on the kids I've seen.
This is so true (bolded).