Let's talk the maintenance of kinky twists

SimpleKomplexity

Yay or nay? I've been thinking about about giving my hair a break for the next 3 months and getting kinky twists. I am scared about my edges though. Last time I had braids, was before LHCF, but my hair didn't do so well :( I was completely bald, but I never moisturized sealed or anythign to them. I was just "washing" them with dry shampoo.

What are some tips if i do decide to get braids? What should I be wary of? Are there any other braids i shoudl look into besides kinky twists? What's a safe regimen for braids?

glamazon386

Washing or not washing and sealing and moisturizing doesn't have anything to do with your hair coming out. If they braid too tight and your hair can't stand up to the pulling, your edges may come out. They shouldn't be braiding that tight to begin with. Also the type of hair that is used can cause problems. I had that cheap synthetic braiding hair (not the kanekalon) eat my hair up twice when I was younger. Most places use kanekalon synthetic hair as the standard. Kinky twists are usually done with Marley Braid, Hand Braid, Puffy Screw, etc. so it should be fine.

IMO, putting too many products on braids causes build up and makes them look old fast. I only wash mine maybe once every 2 weeks and spray them with a non oily braid spray as necessary. Braids are supposed to be low maintenance. You really shouldn't have to do anything to them but keep them clean and cover them up at night. If you're going to have a complicated regimen with a bunch of products you might as well not get them put in.

SimpleKomplexity

Yeah I wwas thinking about washing every 2 weeks with diluted poo and using braid poo, but I hear of people deep conditioning and such with braids so I was just askin

-Love Love*

Whatever you do....make sure the edges aren't TOO TIGHT. I'm recuperating from my kinky twist mishap. AND DON'T LET THE PERSON USE BEE'S WAX. NO!

SimpleKomplexity

Whatever you do....make sure the edges aren't TOO TIGHT. I'm recuperating from my kinky twist mishap. AND DON'T LET THE PERSON USE BEE'S WAX. NO!

You know I actually got my kinky twists with LOCK gel one time!! And then was devasted when my hair locked together!

tailormade84

i've only had kinky twists 4 times - but i'll let you know what i've learned:

BEFORE:
1. deep condition your hair to help strengthen it for the process
2. moisturize your hair well the day before so you have dry, non slippery but still well moisturized hair the day of twisting
2a. if you do your own twists and your are natural, then you might find it help to pretwist your own hair first (and then when its time to add extensions, untwist the twists one at a time and add in the hair - that way your hair is pre-sectioned and detangled already :) )

DURING (twisting):
1. only use a dab of gel and only add gel to fake hair
1a. do not add a bunch of product in your hair - no mouse, no hair spray, no oils
2. keep your hands taunt during the twisting process - keep it tight :)

AFTER (twisting):
1. lightly spray your hair with braid spary (or whatever non-oil/light oil spary you use to moisturize your hair) - only about 7 pumps for your whole head
1a. do this every night
2. immediately tie your hair (but not so tight that it hurts
2a. tie your hair down EVERY night (i tie down the front with a scarf and then but on a bonnet to protect the back)
3. don't excessively style and tightly pull (ponytails) your twists - keep your hands out of your hair and be gentle
4. shampoo and condition your SCALP weekly (do not vigorously rub!) and just rinse your hair with water
4a. immediately after washing just squeeze the water out with a towel, spray your hair with braid spray and tie down your hair

AFTER(removing the twists):
1. gently remove the twists
1a. i lightly spray my hair with water and put oil on my fingertips as i unravel the twists and moisturize each section of my hair after i remove the twists
2. DC after all the twists are removed
2a. i henna and then follow up with a moisturizing DC
3. have a low-mani style the week after twists
3a. i wear twists (just my hair) - no puffs, no ponytails, no clips, nothing, just let my hair rest :)

HTH!

Last edited:

SimpleKomplexity

BEFORE:
2. moisturize your hair well the day before so you have dry, non slippery but still well moisturized hair the day of twisting
2a. if you do your own twists and your are natural, then you might find it help to pretwist your own hair first (and then when its time to add extensions, untwist the twists one at a time and add in the hair - that way your hair is pre-sectioned and detangled already :) )

DURING (twisting):
1a. do not add a bunch of product in your hair - no mouse, no hair spray, no oils

AFTER (twisting):
1. lightly spray your hair with braid spary (or whatever non-oil/light oil spary you use to moisturize your hair) - only about 7 pumps for your whole head
1a. do this every night
2a. tie your hair down EVERY night (i tie down the front with a scarf and then but on a bonnet to protect the back)
3. don't excessively style and tightly pull (ponytails) your twists - keep your hands out of your hair and be gentle
4. shampoo and condition your SCALP weekly (do not vigorously rub!) and just rinse your hair with water
4a. immediately after washing just squeeze the water out with a towel, spray your hair with braid spray and tie down your hair

1a. i lightly spray my hair with water and put oil on my fingertips as i unravel the twists and moisturize each section of my hair after i remove the twists
3a. i wear twists (just my hair) - no puffs, no ponytails, no clips, nothing, just let my hair rest :)

HTH!

You don't know how much that helps me!! Thank you soooo much!

I got my kinky twists in the shape of a wrap. Because of that I won't be putting them in a ponytail or anything. They will be down everyday to not put stress on my supe fine tresses. I think I'm finna go look for that African Royal braid spray right now because I bought African pride. And yup I'm tying up my hair every night to keep the looking good as long as I can. I'm going to try to keep them in until the end of July.

Last edited:

Cassandra1975

BEFORE:

DURING (twisting):

AFTER (twisting):
1a. do this every night

HTH!
This is great! I wish I had been on LHCF when I got kinky twists in 2007. I ended up doing a BC in September of that year, because I was not happy with the condiiton of my hair when I took the twists out. I'm going to have to save this to my computer.