Let me introduce myself... *pics*

petitefille

Hi everyone! I've been lurking this board since 2008 and finally decided to join in the hopes of being inspired. My progress has been extremely disheartening. I've tried every other bandwagon and was a real hair nazi for the first couple of years. When I didn't see results I gave up. Granted, thanks to all the advice I've gleaned from this board and many others, as well as Youtube videos, my hair is longer and healthier than it's ever been---but, after four years of hair care, it's grazing shoulder length.

Here's a little background:

-I've had short hair (neck and ear length) my whole life. My hair was always damaged and unhealthy and I wouldn't dream of wearing it "down" because the back was so broken. My mom has resigned herself to the "fact" that black women can't grow hair and if they have long hair, they must be mixed or an exception. I set out to prove her wrong 4 years ago, but all I've done is make her more certain with my lack of progress.

-In 2006 I cut my hair short and had an overprocessed relaxer that left me balding in some areas.

-A friend introduced me to BHM in 2008 (which subsequently led me to LHCF), and I had my last relaxer in January 2009. I did not transition, I did not big chop. My ends just broke off. It took a long time for me to get the courage to finally trim my hair (by which time I already had no relaxed ends), which I have done three times in the past year and a half.

-I've tried Mega Tek, biotin, Claudie's Elixir, various ayurvedic powders, a truckload of oils and products, MSM, etc. etc. Since 2008 I've been a product junkie and bandwagon hopper and haven't been seeing results. For the first time I'm going to try to stick with something consistently for a few months.

-I'm anemic (my most recent iron count last week was 11, which I think is the bare minimum for normal) and have high thyroid levels.

-I've had numerous setbacks with my hair falling out in patches, leaving bald spots.

-I know my health has been the biggest obstacle in growing my hair. In the past 2 years I've become more conscious about eating a healthy diet and going to the gym, working out and practicing yoga. I drink green tea or matcha everyday and have recently (thanks for LHCF) discovered bamboo tea.

Current Regimen:

-For the past two weeks I have consistently been taking 5000mcg of biotin, 1000mg of MSM, 1000mcg of B12, iron, and GNC's multivitamin. I plan to continue to take vitamins consistently because I think my sporadic use of vitamins in the past led me to not seeing results.

-My hair has been in a full sew-in for the last 4 weeks or so. Prior to that it was in braids for 6 weeks. I haven't been moisturizing daily as I know I should be. As I said, I'm incredibly disheartened and so ready to just shave all of it off and forget about it.

-Between hairstyles I typically pre-poo with coconut oil, wash with Giovanni, protein treatment with Mega Tek or Aphogee 2-step, deep condition with Silk Elements (sometimes mixed with amla powder). This is usually once a month but sometimes I do some of these steps once a week. My regimen has been pretty much the same for the last 2 years, with very minor changes here and there ocassionally.

-Oils currently in my arsenal: jojoba oil, castor oil, EVCO, EVOO, peppermint oil, lavender oil, tea tree oil, and possibly others I'm forgetting.

-I was using Elasta QP Mango Butter (which I love) but I recently acquired Kinky Curly Knot Today and will be trying Kimmay's leave-in recipe.

Okay so without further ado, here are the pics. I look forward to getting to really learn from all of you ladies.

(Since I can only attach 5 pics at a time I will make another post).

Pic1: When I cut my hair back in 2006.
Pic2: January 2011 twist out
Pic3: January 2011 length check
Pic4: January 2011 twist out close up
Pic5: May 2011 shrinkage

Attachments

• shorthair.jpg
    shorthair.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 257

petitefille

Pic1: May 2011 Flat iron
Pic2: May 2011 (sorry, I accidentally named it Jan 2011) length shot
Pic3: First week of June 2012, after wash, no product
Pic4: First week of June 2012, after wash, no product
Pic5: First week of June 2012, after wash, no product

Attachments

• IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 156
  • janhair.jpg
    janhair.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0206.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

petitefille

Pic1: First week of June 2012, blow dried
Pic2: First week of June 2012, flat ironed
Pic3: First week of June 2012, flat ironed length check

As you can see, from May 2011 to June 2012, there is very little difference. I protective style 99% of the time with braids, wigs, and weaves. My hair growth is very miniscule and very discouraging. And to be honest, my mom does my hair (for free, lucky me) and sometimes I feel like she's sabotaging me to prove a point (that I spend too much time, money, and effort on hair). When I took down the last braids I had, a few around the front took 6-7 inches of my own hair with it. When I showed it to her she denied it at first, and when she could no longer deny it was my own hair, she shrugged it off with a laugh, as though I was caring too much.

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMAG0223.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG0226.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Lynnerie

Hey petitefille ! Welcome to the board! I'm going to give you a few suggestions.

1. Get your thyroid addressed if you haven't already.
2. Its good you drink tea but you should try to eat more protein and dark green veggies. I drink a protein shake daily to get an extra boost of nutrients.
3. When you are protective styling you have got to keep moisturizing your hair in those braids. (You can use a sponge dipped in infusium or a liquid moisturizer and squeeze it down the length of the braid.) www.growafrohairlong.com
4. Learn to be a DIY stylist- do it yourself.
5. Lay off the heat
6. Its good that you are natural so keep up with that.
7. If your mom isn't encouraging about your hair journey I would stop talking about it with her and stop letting her do your hair. When she sees the results and progress you get then she'll become a believer that black women can grow and retain their hair.
8. Join the NJoy hair growth sulfur challenge. If you are a slow grower this growth aid will help.

petitefille

Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice! It's funny, I just joined Njoy's challenge. I live in Canada so I will be on the hunt for sulphur today.

Hey @petitefille ! Welcome to the board! I'm going to give you a few suggestions.

1. Get your thyroid addressed if you haven't already.
2. Its good you drink tea but you should try to eat more protein and dark green veggies. I drink a protein shake daily to get an extra boost of nutrients.
3. When you are protective styling you have got to keep moisturizing your hair in those braids. (You can use a sponge dipped in infusium or a liquid moisturizer and squeeze it down the length of the braid.) www.growafrohairlong.com
4. Learn to be a DIY stylist- do it yourself.
5. Lay off the heat
6. Its good that you are natural so keep up with that.
7. If your mom isn't encouraging about your hair journey I would stop talking about it with her and stop letting her do your hair. When she sees the results and progress you get then she'll become a believer that black women can grow and retain their hair.
8. Join the NJoy hair growth sulfur challenge. If you are a slow grower this growth aid will help.

virtuenow

This hair thing is a difficult process, welcome. You're protective styling which is great; But if I were you, I'd reevaluate the products & technique. Shampoo's are very stripping. Unless you are diluting it, then its probably drying your hair out and causing breakage. By the way, coconut oil as a pre-poo does nothing unless your hair is already damp w/water or aloe vera juice (preferably). It needs the wet base to soak into your hair.

Your cond'r is a regular commercial conditioner as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't replace the moisture stripped from the shampoo process. It's kind of a big deal b/c it takes moist, well hydrated strands to be able to retain hair. You may have a hair type like mine that needs truly organic deep conditioning once a week whether you are in a weave or not. The products you named are too wimpy for my hair type. You gave regimen for "between hairstyles", but what is your regular regimen-- how often do you wash & deep condition? Oh, and did you say your mother cut your braids out along w/6inches or hair? You need to never let her style your hair again.

petitefille

This hair thing is a difficult process, welcome. You're protective styling which is great; But if I were you, I'd reevaluate the products & technique. Shampoo's are very stripping. Unless you are diluting it, then its probably drying your hair out and causing breakage. By the way, coconut oil as a pre-poo does nothing unless your hair is already damp w/water or aloe vera juice (preferably). It needs the wet base to soak into your hair.

Your cond'r is a regular commercial conditioner as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't replace the moisture stripped from the shampoo process. It's kind of a big deal b/c it takes moist, well hydrated strands to be able to retain hair. You may have a hair type like mine that needs truly organic deep conditioning once a week whether you are in a weave or not. The products you named are too wimpy for my hair type. You gave regimen for "between hairstyles", but what is your regular regimen-- how often do you wash & deep condition? Oh, and did you say your mother cut your braids out along w/6inches or hair? You need to never let her style your hair again.

I actually just bought this shampoo on the recommendation of someone else because it was sulphate free or some other thing. I've only used it twice. Prior to that I was using a shampoo from an Indian grocery store made with Shikakai and amla powder, but then I realized there was no ingredient information and stopped using it immediately. As for the coconut oil prepoo, I do spray with a mixture of aloe vera juice, water, and glycerin first to wet my strands. I'm pretty sure my hair type is 4B, fine strands, but I'm not sure what else lol. Your hair does look very similar to mine and you are probably right about me not using the right products.

As I said, I've stopped caring about my hair while it's in a protective style, just because I feel like it's a waste of effort and money. I just graduated from university, and just felt that I spent a ridiculous amount of money and time I could have spent studying on hair, with nothing to show for it. I used to wash my hair while in braids or in a sew-in, and moisturize nightly, and apply Mega Tek or Claudie's Elixir to my scalp nightly. This was over 2 years ago. I just gave up.

My current boyfriend has been really cool about my hair and is okay with my wearing a wig. I plan to switch up my hairstyle and will switch to a wig, where I will actually focus on things that will be better for my hair.

I usually shampoo once a month and deep condition 2-3 times a month, depending on how my hair is. And yeah, you're absolutely right about my mom lol. She didn't take my braids out---I took them out myself, but she puts so little of my hair in such a big braid that they broke at the root.

I'll add a picture of the braids.

I thought my regimen was okay but I guess I'm in desperate need of help. Suggestions? Products?

Attachments

• gradhair.jpg
    gradhair.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

daviine

Welcome! I look forward to seeing your progress pics in the near future. I think the ladies here have given good advice and you will be successful yet. Happy hair growing!!!!!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Welcome! You have gotten some wonderful advice and the ladies here are great. Any questions or anything you need just ask and everyone is there for you hun. Looking forward to seeing your journey:)

virtuenow

Your pre-poo sounds good, its my fav recipe (except glycerin). Add to that Aubrey Organics GPB (protein-moisture balancing deep cond) and Aubrey Honey Suckle Rose (moisturizing dc); and oil rinses (w/castor oil) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965 Oh, and here's another link explaining why a reconstructor like AO GPB might be the way to go; and why its far better than doing hardcore protein like the 2-step. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=16673037&postcount=25 It will give your hair strength enough to begin to hold moisture and help to build your strands up. The effects last about a week, which is why I encourage to deep condition weekly. Your DC should be the main source of your moisture so that you will not be struggling the rest of the week to find moisture. You can do daily water spritzes and seal w/very light coating of castor oil as a good source of moisture. What do you use for daily moisture now?

Last edited:

virtuenow

Also, you may need to do a big chop of your ends to get rid of the splits or whatever keeps eating your hair up. It sounds like you have a chronic case of reoccurring trichorrexis ndosa. Look it up b/c it may apply to you.

Last edited:

Evo-ny

As you can see, from May 2011 to June 2012, there is very little difference. I protective style 99% of the time with braids, wigs, and weaves. My hair growth is very miniscule and very discouraging. And to be honest, my mom does my hair (for free, lucky me) and sometimes I feel like she's sabotaging me to prove a point (that I spend too much time, money, and effort on hair). When I took down the last braids I had, a few around the front took 6-7 inches of my own hair with it. When I showed it to her she denied it at first, and when she could no longer deny it was my own hair, she shrugged it off with a laugh, as though I was caring too much.

Maybe your hair doesn't like extensions? I wore my hair in braids and weaves for a decade and only had raggedy barely-shoulder length hair to show for it. I found out (the long and hard way) that the extensions cut into my hair and it just can't handle them. I was basically taking a knife to my hair each time I had it braided up.

I protective style by bunning with hair sticks. I try not to use scrunchies too often.

(Welcome to the boards! :wave:)

Last edited:

Leslie_C

Welcome! virtuenow gave you solid advice and those are good products. Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie has been my saving grace as a moisturizer and has given my transitioning hair life. You can recover from this, Ive been around here for years and have bounced back from setbacks. Its funny that this time around since I started transitioning, Ive learned lots of things about hair and a regimen that I didnt seem to learn when I came to the boards the first time. I was so focused on growing my hair that I missed the big picture, which is retaining. No matter how fast or slow your hair grows--it isnt relevant if you arent retaining length.

If you are going to start wearing wigs, I think good regimen for you would be to prepoo, wash, and DC weekly and twist or cornrow underneath the wig. You should moisturize and seal your hair underneath daily. I am sure that with that you can start to see some progress. Good luck and looking forward to updates.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
welcome!

1. i would lay off shampoo. or dilute it with water and just rinse it through your hair.

2. your regi seems very protein heavy to me. you need some moisture.

3. re-read what virtuenow said. her points are 100% on target IMHO

4. give moms a hug, buy her lunch, love her always and fire her as your stylist. for REAL! right now.

5. don't give up on your hair. your dedication will pay off. you just need to find a regi that works for you not against you, and then be dedicated to THAT regimen.

6. definitely become a self stylist. don't let anyone else touch your hair. get on youtube and learn to style, trim and take care of your hair yourself so never again will someone ruin your progress.

:)

SmilingElephant

:welcome:

Im just going to say...start with a super simple regimen.

Get you a moisturizing shampoo, a thick moisturizing conditioner and a moisturizing deep conditioner as well as a moisturizer or leave in.

That's what i started out with when i first joined LHCF....work with those products for 3-4 months and see where you are...then add an extra if you'd like or as needed (like protein...u might not need it so much) in fact...if after using all the moisture you feel you need protein...put your moisturizing DC in a cup and add an egg to it.

Do not jump on bandwagons until you have mastered knowing your hair. That way...when a new bandwagon comes along, you'll know if you should jump on it or not.

I always advise ppl with curly or kinky hair to give the Curly Girl Method a try...at least a month. It will hydrate your hair:yep:...then if you're not too fond of it...you can go back but i haven't heard anybody say they absolutely hate the CG Method. Its the most gentle form of haircare, imo. (That's one bandwagon i will advise:D)

HTH :)

P.S. fire yo mama:grin:

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Welcome to the board! :wave:

You have been given excellent advice, so I won't repeat the eloquently stated previous posts. However, I must stress that you don't involve mom in your hair talk and trials. She just doesn't get it, and she may never come around. Don't waste your time and information on her.

Secondly, moisturize, moisturize, MOISTURIZE! Your hair will thank you tremendously if you focus on the health of your hair, and then the length will come. Join a length challenge, deep condition more, and try to find uses for all of your products.

I hope that helps to encourage you and I look forward to seeing yourhair change. Good luck, and again, welcome!

karenjoe

Hi,

I was a anemic also really bad.
I thought it was a new relaxer I tried. I was blowing my hair out of my head as I blow dried.:lol:
it took me a while to relaize it was my anemia. :sad:
I was put on 3 iron tabs 65 mg. per day for 2 weeks.
then 2 per day, to one maybe a month later.+ eating better spinach more meat, protein
my hair started growing & staying on my head....
I should have known better I've been a heavy shedder for yrs & I thought it was the relaxer, DC, the water anything but my health...
A lot of women are anemic & have no symptoms for yrs.... i was one....
I thought "oh I just have a heavy days":spinning:
WE lose iron monthly & have to replace it:yep:

petitefille

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and advice!! I knew I did the right thing by finally suscribing. I love my mom, but yeah, I think it's time to really learn how to do my own hair.

I look forward to going on this journey with you all :drunk:

Sunshine77

I'm anemic as well. I 've been as low as the high 8's and my hair was falling out in clumps at one point. I've been on the forum and lurking since 2008 and I know how you feel. I'd hit a goal and then my iron would drop and set me back to where I started. I started seeing results when I consistently took my iron supplements. I would stop taking them because they caused digestive problems. Drinking green smoothies helped me to reduce the amount of pills I take.

I started doing protective styles where I could get to my scalp/hair. Weaves, extensions, and twists caused breakage. Mini braids and wigs worked for me. My parts are not very tiny because I have fine thin hair, but my braids are thin (mini). I can easily moisturize my ends and squeeze my WGO (or whatever) wherever I want.

If you try this. Please dilute your shampoo and be very careful when washing. Try to moisturize daily, wear a satin bonnet under your wig (or a dome cap) and trim your ends as your hair grows to even things up.

I remember my family members talking about my hair that wouldn't grow and how I should stop doing all this crazy stuff to my hair so I hid it from them. When they saw that I hit full SL many of them jumped on the bandwagon. HTH!