Let me introduce myself:)

PraiseGod

Hello everyone! I just joined the forum after viewing it for a couple of days. I have to admit, I was a little reluctant to join due to the dangers of posting personal information online. I decided not to post too much information for safety reasons;) Well enough about that. Let me tell you a little about myself. I am a graduate study studying to be a child psychologist. I have two more years left (huray!!!!!) For years I would burn each time I got a relaxer (scabs, puss, etc.). In fact, many times the hairdresser would be in the middle of applying my relaxer and my hair would star to burn. Several beuticians would resort in washing out the part that was burning and continuing to apply relaxer on the rest of my hair. Over time I had associated getting a relaxer with burns and scabs. It seemed as though the two were inevitable for me. All of this torture lead me to consider going natural. My hair has always been shoulder length but I just could not stand getting a relaxer. I would even try and prolong my relaxers (every 9 weeks verses 6) as much as possible, even after being told over and over again by stylists that this was not good for my hair.

After switching from stylist to stylist with every relaxer application, two months ago I finally was led to a beutician who sympathized with me in terms of my past experiences and frustrations. I told her that I had been searching for a good hairdressher for years and honestly had not found one. I also told her about my burning issue. She told me that the burning was due to bad application. She instructed me to trust her. I quickly told her that I will be trusting God and said my usual prayer;). In applying the relaxer first she based my scalp with a cool tea tree solution. Then she applied the entire relaxer without touching my scalp. Next, she went through and combed the relaxer through (concentrating on the new growth only)touching my scalp for a short period of time). When it came time to wash the relaxer out I couldn't help but to say thank you Lord out loud:). I them went on to thank her for her care (it took a lot longer since she did not just slop it on my hair) and told her that I thank God for her. She appreciated the compliment. For the first time ever I left the salon without burning and no puss. I let her know that I would definitely be a regular cutomer and would be passing her name onto others.

Since that time I came across Motowngirl's (motowngirl.com) website and also checked out curvessalon.com. Both of these websites made me consider going natural in order to achieve length. Most people (black) consider my hair to be long but I don't. I want to grow it to 17 inches. and figured that I could not due this as long as I had a relaxer. Then I came across the Long Hair Care Forum. After reading up on hair products and viewing before and after photos I came to the conclusion that I can have long hair with a relaxer. Tracy and Caramela's hair photos were really encouraraging. The three of you have beutiful hair that looks extrememly healthy. So now after preparing a list of hair products I plan on going to Sally's this afternoon to make some investments
. I went ahead and did a preshampoo treatment with a little olive oil and some Organics olive and clove oil therapy oil last night. I also sprayed some water and Wonder 8 shea butter moisterizing mist on my hair before tying it up for bed.

It's been 10 weeks since I had my last relaxer (I use Affirm) and my ends are extremely dry. They look like they are split but when I look at them closely I find that they are not. I have seen the word "see through ends" on several websites and that is exactly how my hair looks. I don't know if it's because it's been so long since I've had a relaxer or damaged ends. Is there any way that you can grow long hair without see through ends? Can you restore them to health simply by caring for them and conditioning them intensly (versus taking a big Chop)? Also, I noticed that a lot of you all wait 10 to 12 weeks before getting a relaxer. Is this good? Even with my new fabulous beutician, I would love to wait as long as possible before getting a relaxer. Please give me some feed back. P.S. God is so good. He truly answers prayer-sometimes before you even relealize your prayers have been answered. It just dawned on me that I had been asking Him to grow my hair and in the last couple of weeks I have aquired a wealth of information not to mention encouragement through various websites (this site especially). God truly is faithful!!!!! Thanks in advance. -Praise Him

PraiseGod

After viewing my post I realized I left Relaxed Brown Hair out in the section that lists the three photos that were most inspiring to me. Sorry about that. I also want to thank Beverly for the welcome. I have entered in my profile info. I'm excited about what's to come:)

JenJen2721

Welcome PraiseGod!

Finding this board has also been a blessing for me. Be careful not to fall into the "temptations" of this board such as becoming a PJ (product junkie) or becoming addicted. (like me.).

Glad to have you aboard!
Jen

lunalight7

Welcome!!!! I am working on my doctorate degree in School Clincal-Child Psychology. we can motivate one another to achieve both healthy hair and professional success!!!!

miss_brown

Welcome, PraiseGod

I'm not relaxed, so I can't really offer an advice on how long to wait between touch ups, but I'm sure some of the lovely relaxed heads will come to your rescue

nita4

PraiseGod, Welcome to the board. First of all thank God for a good stylist. Second...

It will untilmately depend on if & how long you want to wait in between your relaxers. I wait simply because I don't have enough of outgrowth and because I don't like having the chemical applied to my hair often. I don't have any real problems waiting. I'm doing 12 weeks now slowly working my way up to 16 because I only want to get my hair done three/four times a year. I personally think it's healthier for my hair. It's growing and thick. I keep my hair pinned up and moisturized daily especially my ends. You are going to have to learn how to style and work with your hair when you wait. If you find that you are loosing alot of hair you may not want to wait, it doesn't bother me. I perfer to wait and not use heat, but lately I've had to blow dry in order to manage. My normal routine would be to shampoo, condition, use my leave in's, braid - take out in the morning, lightly spray a moisturizer in, and pin up. This works best for me. Best to you and yes, He is faithful.

PraiseGod

Thanks everyone. Man, this is great. Nita thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think that beauticians tell you that it is manditory to get your hair relaxed every 4-6 weeks so that they will have a guaranteed $55 dollars every 4-6 weeks:). Well, I'm off to sally's.

nita4

Actually, the stylist I go to now suggested that I wait 10 weeks before she would touch up me the first time. That was the first time I had ever heard about waiting that long and I thought I would pass out. But now 10 weeks is a breeze. Its just getting beyond that now. There are several ladies on this board that go beyond the 4 little months I want to accomplish. How they do that is beyond me. I just keep reading for pointers on what to do and how to do it. Enjoy your shopping.

leejure

Welcome! You are going to love it here. As a matter of fact, be careful, you may become addicted (like me)

-lee