Ladies with Coarse/Thick strands

BlaqKitty

Does your hair like butters?

I had a theory that maybe my hair would be a lot happier if I stopped using shea butter, so the other night I sealed with castor oil instead and my hair is super soft, still moisturized and looks better. To my knowledge, shea butter is a very heavy sealant so I'm not sure what the issue is with it since people with thicker strands can normally tolerate heavy products.

Also, I'm starting to think it contributed to my knots by acting like a glue once it got wet.

summertimewine

*sips tea*
I've always thought that my hair is so thick that it does not absorb heavier products enough and they are left sitting on my strands. Castor Oil and heavy butters can make my hair feel coated and look lifeless. *shrug* Maybe your hair actually didn't like shea butter and you found a better alternative!

biznesswmn

I thnk castor oil is thicker and heavier than shea butter. If u melt shea to become 'oil' u will see what i mean

iVR

My hair is super thick but it doesn't like butters very much. They're too heavy for my hair unless I'm wearing it up. Butters and heavy oils, like castor oil, make my hair super staticky too. My mom's loved them though. Oh well.

ail221

It depends on what I am using Shea butter for. If I am using it for keeping my end neat in Senegalese twists it's perfect. Otherwise it needs to be cut down with other oils.

Amarilles

I tend to not use heavy anything...rich products don't spread well at all for me. Jojoba is my favorite oil, very light and fairly odorless.

It could also be related to porosity. Mine is technically normal (as per both Live Curly Live Free and Komaza) but the hair acts somewhat low, my strands take awhile to absorb just because they're large and many. For that alone I prefer lighter consistencies over thick ones.

kupenda

I like castor oil. Softens well. I only like shea mixed with other things. By itself, I hate it

LoveLiLi

I can use butters for bunning, but that's it. They're too heavy and I feel like I need to wash my hair after a couple of days. My hair doesn't tolerate shea butter or castor oil; using those products is just asking for trouble.

I'd like to find a moisturizing hair lotion. Mixed chicks leave-in would be perfect if it had more moisture.

BlaqKitty

I like to use Curls Creme brulee as my moisturizing lotion. It works really good, and smells like... a vanilla custard or something! It's only 7 bucks too. :)

Also, I have high porosity hair so maybe that has something to do with my hair liking castor oil to seal. With Shea butter my hair feels dry, and I normally cut it down with other oils. I noticed I get a more fluffy appearance with my twist outs when I use Castor oil, but when I use shea butter it's thicker and not fluffy.

I can use butters for bunning, but that's it. They're too heavy and I feel like I need to wash my hair after a couple of days. My hair doesn't tolerate shea butter or castor oil; using those products is just asking for trouble.

I'd like to find a moisturizing hair lotion. Mixed chicks leave-in would be perfect if it had more moisture.

MsDee14

My hair is really thick and it loves shea-butter whether it's whipped(with other oils) or alone.
I, of course, have to spritz my hair with water or my avj mix before applying though.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
My hair is good with heavy products. I do have to be careful with some products to ensure it doesn't snap my strands. Castor is one of those type products. However, my hair loves it after it's applied. I coat the hair with a little water to make it slide/glide better.

BlaqKitty

Yeah, that makes sense. Castor oil goes on weird but when it dries my hair feels soooo smooth. It felt a little waxy when I tried to use it without any moisturizers on my hair.

LoveLiLi

I like to use Curls Creme brulee as my moisturizing lotion. It works really good, and smells like... a vanilla custard or something! It's only 7 bucks too. :)

Also, I have high porosity hair so maybe that has something to do with my hair liking castor oil to seal. With Shea butter my hair feels dry, and I normally cut it down with other oils. I noticed I get a more fluffy appearance with my twist outs when I use Castor oil, but when I use shea butter it's thicker and not fluffy.

Thanks! I'm going to give this a try. I saw it a few days ago but I was feeling too indecisive to buy it, lol.

yamilee21

I have mostly coarse strands, though I have lost density with stress and age. My hair responds well to butters, especially avocado butter, and to castor oil. When I am low on products, I can get away with using just castor oil, nothing else. I believe I have low-porosity hair - the kind that won't take dye or relaxers. I can go a few days without re-moisturizing and sealing, as long as I don't wear my hair out in windy conditions.

Butters and castor oil work well on my medium-strands, medium-high density hair kids, but not so well on the medium strand, low-density one.