Fine Strands but Thick Hair??

brownsuga_91

Hey ladies, I need help assessing my hair lol. I have pretty thick type 4 natural hair. It is actually extremely thick, but very soft. Its pretty medium porosity and can absorb most products well and stay moisturized. But I'm pretty sure I have fine strands. When i detangle my hair sometimes I'm quite concerned by the amount of hair left in the wide tooth comb. Its not coming out from the root, and im very careful. I can detangle pretty easily- wet or dry- but its always more hair than i would like to see out. I use motions cpr for my protein DC every other week and every couple months do aphoghees two step treatment. I moisturize with shea butter and coconut oil with is prob the only combo that keeps my hair moisturized. Is this normal? Am i doing something wrong, should I add more protein into my regimen? :perplexed

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
You should take some of that protein out of your regimen as you are using too much and get some moisture in there. Shea butter is good, but it can be too thick and waxy for some so you may need to get an actual moisturizer or whip it a bit. Coconut oil penetrates the strand, so it may not be ideal and also allows the hair to hold on to protein by preventing hygral fatigue.

You need more moisture. Elasta QP mango butter is pretty good at moisturizing and try to get a good moisture DC. This may help as it seems you have breakage issues.

Also, you could have thin strands and dense hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sparkle25

I personally feel that some hair needs more protein than others. Has your hair always broke like this?

brownsuga_91

You should take some of that protein out of your regimen as you are using too much and get some moisture in there. Shea butter is good, but it can be too thick and waxy for some so you may need to get an actual moisturizer or whip it a bit. Coconut oil penetrates the strand, so it may not be ideal and also allows the hair to hold on to protein by preventing hygral fatigue.

You need more moisture. Elasta QP mango butter is pretty good at moisturizing and try to get a good moisture DC. This may help as it seems you have breakage issues.

Also, you could have thin strands and dense hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

thxx for the response, Ive used elasta qp before as well as cantu leave in and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, but none leave my hair as soft and managable as shea butter and sealing with coconut oil :ohwell: :perplexed. They often dry out my hair. I dont know if its necc over protein aswell because my hair is always very soft- not too soft to the point of mushy- but very manageable and i only use cpr every other week with aphoghee every 2 months. I believe my strands are thin and hair dense thoo :up:

I personally feel that some hair needs more protein than others. Has your hair always broke like this?

I long term transitioned for about 2 years so i expected this kind of breakage during some of the rougher stages but its been on and off. Yes i think i may need more protein :perplexed About 2 weeks after i do my two step aphoghee my hair is very solid, i dont see as much breakage in the comb, but after that until the next time i use it a few weeks later, more breakage appears even with the cpr every 2 weeks.