Coarse hair/Fine hair- terms.

ActionActress

Hello ladies,

I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page.

Something I notice is that we use the term COARSE when refering to very tightly coiled hair, which is incorrect.(This leaves the impression of our hair being steel wool which is the stereotype of our hair. It is actually a soft woolen texture, no matter the coiliness, when taken care of, clean and moisturized.)

The actual use of the term coarse refers to hair that has thick strands. i.e. Asian hair/E. Indian hair. Or some of our hair which can have thick, individuals strands.
The coarseness of their gives the glass like shine because the strands are bigger to reflect light.

African/African Americans tend lean towards finer strands of hair.

Tightly coiled hair is just that--tightly coiled--with often times, fine strands.

Armed with this knowledge we can treat our hair accordingly.:yep:

AA

Yep you're right. I think people refer to our hair as coarse because one of the definitions is that its rough in texture and so many believe our hair is rough which is sooo not true.

Good post!

I totally agree.
I have 4b/c and it is soft AS A CLOUD. so soft that my SO prefers it than the pillow for sleeping.
I don't have coarse hair, hard like a carton.
and it's fine. hard water doesn't help it :( but i'm in search for remedy this problem.
in my avi you can see a big afro, but I swear when I do twists, they are so skinny. and fine hair is weak, prone to breakage.
whatever OP you're so right !! ;)

Yep you're right. I think people refer to our hair as coarse because one of the definitions is that its rough in texture and so many believe our hair is rough which is sooo not true.

Good post!

I agree, people sees what they wants to see. but It's not true.

Back