Ladies who never had long hair before LHCF

Since visiting these websites, my hair has grown to my collarbone but I'm having problems with it getting any longer and I believe it's because I don't protect my ends during relaxing. I've suffered a tremendous setback in October 2009 and have been wearing braids since December 2009 to get my hair to grow back completely. I'll relax again in/after 2011 and I'll come back to say just how long my hair will get.

@teysmith, You be the judge of it!

From this, a round bowling ball head, with "Peachy Peach Fuzz":

newbabygirlme.jpg

To this, Not much more, in I think 7 years. I'd say, Uh, Neck length, maybe, and thats a huge "Maybe":

newbiggirlme.jpg

Now, since LHCF, and this is with 3 set backs, one worth "3 Inches", yes, "3 Inches", Oh, I hate thinking about it, but still, to this:

newgrown.jpg

So, in retrospect, I Owe every strand of hair on my head, as of now, to this site, of course I put in the foot work, but still, had I not found my cousins here at LHCF, I would probably still look like "Pic" number "One"! Lollll!

I know my Head is Big, Don't laugh:grin:, If it were smaller I may have more length!!! Lolllllll!!!:lol:

Last edited:
I hope I remember to come back to this thread with pics at the end of next year when I FINALLY make APL. I love threads like these.

I even had a hairstylist tell me one time that since I didn't have long hair as a child I will probably never have long hair. But I now know thats not true. Some people may have to put more effort into it than others but I think everybody can make at least BSL.

Last edited:
My hair was taken care of for the most part and would grow, but I didn't retain much hair past SL my whole life, until I found the boards almost 4 years ago.

My hair was plagued with bald spots since I was a little girl.

When I joined LHCF (in 2008) I was going to see a trichologist and I had decided to chop my hair to neck length and start all over again. I thought having HEALTHY hair pass my shoulders was impossible.

Today, I have zero bald spots and I'm in the "MBL 2011" Challenge. To God be the glory! LOL.

Wowkinkylove! Care to share your story?

I think my issue was stress when I was younger. I grew up in a "turbulent" environment, so I was an emotional wreck and my hair suffered.

I haven't had a perm since I was 12 (can't remember how old I was when this lady gave me the kiddie perm) but I wore my hair pressed a lot, and didn't know how to take care of it. And because my hair is the first thing that really suffers drastically when I'm under stress, I kept getting bald spots.

Once I started educating myself, and commanding my hair to grow in Jesus name, it did. I now just wig it, with cornrows underneath. It's really thriving.

I was always known to have short hair (approx neck length) by my friends during my schools days until I decided to wear it in a weave for five years straight when I started university. My hair never saw the light of day during those years because I, very sadly, just couldn't be bothered it. I developed a very negative attitude towards my hair whereby I felt I couldn't do anything with it unless there was some extensions in it.

THEN I took them out for the first time this year and my natural hair is now approx BSL. People who never knew me during my school days assume I've always had long hair and that I must be either mixed, Carribean, or something - I am not. With 4B type hair and Nigerian in ethnic origin, I see myself as proof that Black hair really can grow. I think the plight that seems to affect hair growth for a lot of black people is not our genetics but our PRACTICES and ATTITUDES towards our own hair. It's amazing, for instance, how black people have the most fragile hair type out of all races, yet we are the ones out of all the other races who treat our hair the most harshly. From glueing, pasting, relaxing and texturising, to plaiting and combing too tightly on a regular basis, I think the key to successful growth for black hair is to banish the practices and attitudes towards our hair that we subconsciously pick up from mainstream beauty advice in beauty adverts, magazines and music videos. Instead, ACCEPT the fact that we cannot be manipulating our hair on a daily basis like white people can and instead LOVE the fact that the genetic makeup of our hair different, beautiful and a mystic wonder for limitless versatility that no other hair type can dream of achieving. It is only when we learn to understand and accept a uniquely different attitude and relationship towards our own hair than that of white, asian and oriental hair can we truly be at peace and happpiness with the beauty of afro hair. Listen and love your hair for what it IS, not what you want it to BE, and it will soon reward you for it. That's the sort of attitude I'm currently learning to try and develop with my own hair anyway since deciding to wear it out natural for a bit and joining LHCF.

Boy did I go off on one a little just there - many apologies for this! Many congratulations if you managed to make it towards the end of this post without falling asleep though! Lol!

I also am at my near longest length which is shoulder-ish. Trying to break past this point but I am happy to work out fullness as well. Up til I started working on this, my hair was thin and fine. A not so nice combo.

Aww you ladies are so wonderful and a big inspiration!! THe only time i had hair an inch past my shoulders was when i was natural. then i decided to relax my hair again and it staggered above shoulder length for years. so this is y i have been transitioning back to natural. My hair is 1.5 inches to APL which will have been the longest my hair has ever been. Once i bc in two weeks it will just be past my shoulders but still longer than it ever was period.

Bumping......I never had hair past my shoulders growin up, then i had a set back last year and cut it to ear lenght. Now its scrapping apl.

The longest my hair was before I decided to go natural was a little below shoulder length. Now I am all natural and BSL. Took me 2 and half years to get to this length.

My beginning pic in my Fotki was generous. (ETA my beginning pic is here in my avatar) That was when I was getting more rollersets and blowfrying at the DR salons which led to more length but thin, see-through ends.

I found a TRUE average length in a program book. I was amazed! Wow, and I thought I was cute too! Most def. will have to post. (ETA still haven't do so, maybe I will put it in my Fotki this evening.)

I think my hair always had the potential to get long but never given a chance as a child and later on as a young adult. I always had a lot of hair though...Got it from my momma. My dad has thin hair and fine strands.

Last edited:
bumping for updates. I hope I can one day say I was once a neck lengh diva and now I'm a bsl diva....sigh...

I had the same issue. My sister's dad was a 5 ft tall Miles Davis clone with wavy blue-black hair that was midback length. As for me, well:

twoyearoldapril.jpg

That's me at two and that was probably the longest it got. in case you blink and miss them, there are bangs there. Excuse the size. I'm resizing and it's not working.

The pic is small but I can still tell you were such a cute child :yep:

The longest length I every had was during my jheri curl days when it was a little past shoulder. Otherwise, it was always shoulder.

I never had hair longer than SL before finding the hair boards.
I was able to grow my relaxed hair to BSL after finding my cousins on here. THis was such a major feat - my family were always feeling up my hair trying to find tracks because they could not believe that my hair type (a mix of thin 4b and 4c) could grow that long.
I have since cut off the relaxed hair and I am now fully natural past SL. Turns out my hair is not thin either. My ultimate goal is a full natural MBL. I am aiming for APL / BSL for the end of 2011.

My hair is not real long at all but i have to give thanks to lhcf for getting me this far...and as time goes on my confidence that i can grow longer hair increases.

Last edited:
This is longest my hair has ever been. A little past APL :YAY: Hair has been stuck at shoulder length most of my life. I thought it was healthy before, but my standards weren't LHCF's standards.:lol:

I love old threads

My hair was long as a child until my mom relaxed my hair when I was ten in 1981. From 81 thru 2006 my hair was forever shoulder length, dry and full of split ends. It was a combination of too much heat, relying on stylists cuz I was lazy, and relaxers.

I went from perpetually SL to past waist length. The second I stopped relaxing my hair I could see a major difference in my hair. People look at me and assume that just because I'm black Latina I got that "good hair" that just grows long. If that myth were true I wouldn't have had dry, shoulder length hair for 26 years.

Sent from my fancy iPhone using LHCF

I didnt have long hair as a child. My parents didnt know what to do with it so it was always in a very short boy cut or a TWA when i could avoid getting it cut. I managed to get it to around APL dry and breaking when i found this forum.

Finally reached WL in 2009 and almost HL last summer before i cut it back to APL. You may think im crazy for cutting but i realized that having healthy hair is more important than having length.

A friend said to me that I always had long hair and I then said to her that it has been damage for the past 20 plus years and won't grow past my shoulders. Anyway I showed her Toy and Princessdi pics and she was floored.
I told her that anybody can have hair and that us women espectially black women do to much to our hair preventing us from retaining legnth.
I believe that low manipuation, protective styles, daily moisturizing, DC, and stetching relaxers is the key.
I used to be a hairbraider and women would retain amazing growth then when they would come out of braids they would go back to their bad hair habits and start all over.

i never had long hair as a child. my mother was into styling, but didn't know much about healthy hair care. it was always at neck length or barely touching my shoulder. i have since been able as an adult to reach APL, but that was with the help of stylists. i had the knowledge to obtain, but allowed them to execute the practices. now i am trying to do this all on my own. so i plan to reach APL by my birthday, maybe sooner?

My hair is the longest I can remember it being (almost bsl). My mom got me my first perm at around 5 years old and it was pretty much downhill ever since. I went natural in 2008 before I found lhcf--I figured out on my own that constant psing was the way to go for me.

Back