Ladies who BCed leaving 2-3 in. of hair...

Ms_Twana

....what did you do afterwards??? This is also for those that BCed leaving hair even shorter. What did you do when you got 2-3 inches of hair?? I am thinking VERY HARD about BCing between now and January. I'm 5 months post now, and will be 7 months post in January. But, I only have 2-3 inches of hair. I am thinking about buying a couple curly half wigs/wigs and wearing those with a headband/scarf. I'll do that until I'm comfortable wearing my hair out. I just wanted to get some feedback and ideas from you ladies!! TIA!!!

PaperClip

I had about 3-3.5 inches of hair at my BC in late July. I wore half-wigs and was able to slick/wave my hair back and put the comb in. I wore cloth and plastic headbands with the half-wigs.

I think the cooler months are great to wear wigs because it keeps the head warm and then the hair can be left alone under the wigs instead of trying to expose it to the harsh winter elements.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I BC-ed to about a half inch of hair(maybe) and just wore it out. There was really nothing else for me to do w/ it

Chinagem

I shaved my head bald and word head wraps and I tried wearing a wig but I couldn't get with it. Now that I have 1 1/2 to 2 inches, I just wear it out (if it's not too cold). I usually put fantasia gel on it while it's damp and wear it like that for a 3-7 days before refreshing it.

Ms_Twana

Wow. I don't think I can do the TWA. I don't have the confidence to do that. I want a nice sized afro puff before wearing it out. But who knows, I may absolutely LOVE my hair when I cut it. I do like the comb coils though. I friend of mines keeps her hair short, and she wears them a lot. I love 'em!!!

ETA: And braids kind of scare me because someone suggested not getting braids until you have at least 5 inches of hair to grab. Do you ladies have problems with the braids slipping out??

sunshinebeautiful

When I was natural, I BC'd to 2 inches of hair. I got it shaped up and wore it out. I lost my confidence and got a weave for a hot minute (5 days, I think) but it was in too tight so I took it out and went back to wearing my own hair.

carameldiva

Actually my hair was much shorter than 2-3 inches when i did the bc. I actually just rinsed with water and then applied parnevu leave-in conditioner and that was it.

keluric

I didn't BC to go natural because I've never had a relaxer but I did want to get rid of some damaged heat-styled hair. I had about an inch or two of hair when I chopped it off. I wore braids for a long time.. had no problems with them slipping out but then again, I went to VERY talented braiders.

Ms Lala

I didn't like my hair at that length so I didn't take pics but I used to brush my hair down w/gel and sit under the drier for slick look, I used to wear baby locks/single strand twists, wash and goes, headwraps w/pretty fabric, and braids w/extensions.

edited: my head is big which is why i didn't like my short hair

Last edited:

belle_reveuse28

i just did this in October, a bC leaving 3 inches of hair... fortunately becuase my hair is curly, i just wore it in a little curly fro.. i still do, being that my hair is now only an inch longer...

MeechUK

MeechUK
Hi Ms Twana,
I bc'd down to near baldness, a number 1 with shears. It was a real lesson in confidence for me! I rinsed my hair daily and deep conditioned weekly. I wore my hair without combing it and it has now reached 2inches. It was much easier to maintain as well as cooler in the summer. I'm really glad I had the courage to do it.

HHG,
MeechUK

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I just wore it curly or slicked down w. gel as my avatar shows. I had 1" of hair for my avatar pic. There is no pressure for you to BC w/ a TWA if you don't want to. Just continue to transition until you are ready. January was going to be my BC date, but the tangles in my hair made it impossible for me to stand it. Do what's good for you. Either way, I know your hair will look fabulous! :)

Forbidden

I BC'd in October as well with about 3 inches of hair. Since then I've been wearing a wig, which also took some getting used to because I had never worn one before, but I'm finally used to it. I wore a twist out for a few days, but thats the only time my hair has been out. I need a few more inches to be comfy.

CurleeDST

I just did it in September and I just wear it out or a headband in the front to push the hair back. I plan to grow it out again but decided to start over once I found out I was expecting my 2nd child in 5 years.

glamazon386

Ms_Twana said:
....what did you do afterwards??? This is also for those that BCed leaving hair even shorter. What did you do when you got 2-3 inches of hair?? I am thinking VERY HARD about BCing between now and January. I'm 5 months post now, and will be 7 months post in January. But, I only have 2-3 inches of hair. I am thinking about buying a couple curly half wigs/wigs and wearing those with a headband/scarf. I'll do that until I'm comfortable wearing my hair out. I just wanted to get some feedback and ideas from you ladies!! TIA!!!

I had about 3 inches of hair. I went and got a weave the next day. I had already made the appt before I decided to cut my hair though. I cut it on a whim. I wasn't even sure I was transitioning. I just was seeing how long I could go without a relaxer. About a month later I started playing with it since it had grown some. I wore half wigs then so I could still have access to my hair. I just recently was comfortable enough to wear it out. I BCed 2.5 months ago.

tropicexotic

free @ last
I BC'd to around 3 inches of hair, and I did alot of twistouts w/ headbands or flat twists w/ twist out in the back.

Ms_Twana

I am loving the fact that so many of you had the confidence to wear your hair out so short. And I've had a short style before (shaved in the back). But I guess it wasn't as short as it will be when I BC!!! :ohwell:

jtsupanova

When I first BC'ed I wore my hair out for a day then went right back up in twist extensions
after about a month of that I wore my hair out mostly in twist, twist outs shake n goes and puffs
I had about 4in you can do alot with that length

arizona

I just BC'd Sunday evening and I only have 1/8" of hair! I just put some Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey in and go! :) I have pics in my album. Only 3, but I'm happy. Today I got a million compliments from students and co-workers alike. The compliments from students I value most as they will say whatever is on their minds! :-D

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I would just water rinse or cowash my hair daily and apply either S-Curl, jojoba oil, or nothing at all.

Check out my 2005 album in my fotki for pics of my hair when it was super short. ;)

Carlie

What did I do? Wash/Shake/Go The most easiest/convenient thing ever! Enjoy your natural hair!!! The TWA Stage is the best stage, IMO. :yep:

ekomba

Ms_Twana said:

Hey Ms_Twana i big chopped bald and enjoyed it a lot as there was nothing else to do lol :lachen: i just colored it caramel blond till i grew tired and rechopp it again. (and another thing every one thought i was gay with my hair short bald lol :cool: )then i waited to grow 2 inches so i could put micro braids ( they were the only ones i could do where the braider could actually grab some hair:lol: i remember losing them everywhere hahaha one there one on the train cause they were holding to dear life lol) i never thought about wigs but its okay i mean i did not like the in between stages before i reached 2inches maybe cause it was the first time growing hair natural i looooved the polished look of the bald head with color but i did not like my twa and as soon as i reached 2inches i kept it in braids doing the crown and glory for a year and now today marks 1 year and 5months since i big chop here s some pix for the BC when i felt comfortable:

i had just shaved it with a clipper and colored it and when i grew tired of the color i let it grow a little then i chop it again really short

then i was decided to let it grow to my waist and as soon as i had 2inches just braids first tiny; but thanks to vits and mtg, baggie method keeping my hair moist, i was able to switch to just 10 cornrows that s my best crown and glory as braids were too time consuming, too much build up but its ideal when you only have 2-3inches of hair

So girl i would advise you if you big chop to first enjoy the hair short to get used to it then as soon as u have 2-3 inches to do tiny braids, wear wigs cause to me it was a shock dealing with my natural hair, i was not comfortable at first it took me a while but eventually i realized it s how u care for the hair basically. and in the meantime do a lot of protective styles (wigs), i was washing my hair daily :grin: cause it felt so liberating to chop i felt free!!!!:lol: :lachen: good luck with your decision Ms_Twana!!!!:p ;) :D

Ms_Twana

Poohbear said:
I would just water rinse or cowash my hair daily and apply either S-Curl, jojoba oil, or nothing at all.

Check out my 2005 album in my fotki for pics of my hair when it was super short. ;)

Girl, I have stalked your album a thousand times now!!! :lachen:

Aaahh, ladies thank you so much for all of your support. You ladies make is sooo easy to wear the TWA!!! And from your words, I can tell that you all were very confident in doing it.

But I think I have officially decided to BC. I don't think setting a date would be good for me though. I would have to do it spontaneously. Otherwise, I'll chicken out from a date!!

Last edited: