on a two year braid regimen...2 months in sick of braids

ZLUVSNEWZEE

I have braid extensions and I was planning to wear them for 2 years but I am getting sick of them already. I BCed 4/30 and I don't have the courage to wear my 3 inch hair out and I just can not do weaves or wigs. Any suggestions? I braid my hair myself and it ends up being a lot of work if you want to look cute in your braids. My hair is back t oits natural state and will not stay in the braid so I have all my natural hair sticking out of the braids. I'm no professional but I am pretty decent so I'm not willing to pay to get my hair braided. I'm wondering if there is something I can do to look cute without having to re-braid all the time. I find I am neglecting washing and dcing because I don't feel like re-braiding. HELP LADIES!!!

JJamiah

I am in my beehive braids 2 weeks and I am tired of them so you did it for two months wow that is awesome. Maybe some twist, or crochet braids might be and option for you.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
I'm a twister myself but hats off to you for keeping braids in for 2 months. I've never made it past a month with braids. I don't know why.

ycj1

I know how you feel about the braid thing, but I think with more patience you will get use to them. But you must keep up your hair care routine to see positive results as well. I've been in my yarn braids since Feb of this yr and plan on going for another 2 yr's myself......Dec 2012. The key to yr braids is that you will have to find different styles you can sport so you won't get so tired of them so quickly! There's all kinds of magazines out and also you should check on youtube as well for inspiration.

Don't give up so quickly! By the time Dec of this yr rolls around you will not believe the positive effects of the braids will have for protective styling. It has enhanced my growth immensley.

Just don't throw in the towel so soon. But honestly, if you do plan on continuing wearing braids as a protective style then do it right girl and wash at least once a wk, light condition and keep yr braids moisturized and bagged at night. It does make a world of difference.

I take all of mine out every month and a half! I can't hang the whole 2 months. And every time I take them out to clarify and wash and dc I am amazed at the growth it's gained. That's why I am telling you not to give up so fast. Patience and fortitude is the key here.:yep:

hopeful

Don't back yourself in a corner with "I can'ts," focus on what you can and are willing to do. Why not pay to have them done to give yourself a break and maybe get ideas? Why not try a wig? Or wear a twist out with a pretty flower or scarf and earrings and nice makeup? If you want to be natural you will need to be determined to make it work. You'll need to be positive, creative, flexible, determined.

ksk_xs

You definitely may want to try yarn braids. I've found that they blend the best for me bcuz of the texture of the fiber. I did micros a month ago for my graduation and I couldn't wear them as long as I liked bcuz my hair started to get really frizzy and noticeable. Tree braids may be an option for u as well bcuz your hair would be completely covered except for the start of the braid.

Nonie

OK, OP, practice makes perfect and the more you redo a few at a time, the better you will get.

One way to improve your braiding is make sure you're holding your hair close to the point of cross over (Pic #10) and smooth your hair with fingers as you braid as if trying to make cuticles lie flat by sliding fingers up the length. That way you're tucking all your hair inside the cross over. Avoid holding your hair as shown in #9:

I don't use products on my hair but I do baggy nightly, and that seems to keep my hair looking neat. Doing a braid-out on your extensions can disguise the mess till you have time to redo, and redoing doesn't have to be a major feat. Just focus on redoing the hairline while watching TV and then wherever you have your part...so that the braids on top are the ones that always look neat and disguise the others. Then get to the others as time allows.

If you make redoing your braids more like a relaxing thing that you do while watching TV, working on one at a time, and not trying to do all or too many, it will stop feeling like a chore. I suffer from HIH disease and can't tell you how exciting it is for me to find a braid that needs redoing coz the base is loose. It's like an excuse to play in my hair. And since my hair feels so soft to touch, it makes it all the more fun. (Seriously, try making baggying, even w/o products, a regular habit and see how soft your hair feels.)

I mentioned braid-outs. Here's my hair cornrowed while wet and left to dry in the cornrows. I believe I had already baggied at least one night by the time this photo was taken. (Saran wrap is excellent for flattening fly aways, but even a plastic cap works too coz when your hair gets damp, it's like it just lies flat or sth.) Notice how neat the hair looks:

And when I undid the braids, it was sort of hard to notice any that were frizzy because of the waves.

It's kinda like how big curly hair can be frizzy and not look as bad as if you were trying a straight do and then had frizz.

In the braided pic you saw above, I wouldn't be surprised if all the braids that you don't see were really messy and only the ones on top were done.

I don't know how much TV you get to watch, but I watch a lot and there isn't a moment when I'm sitting down watching TV when I am not looking for a braid that needs redoing.

Another thing about redoing your braids is you stop the hair from knotting at the base. (That's also another good reason to wash your braids! :yep: Keeping your scalp clean and making sure if you use braid spray you avoid the area close to your scalp can prevent gunk collecting at the base of your braids.) Every time you redo a braid, use your fingers to gently "comb" and separate your strands. And in time, you will find that your hair stays tangle-free and even on the day you undo, you end up with free tresses that aren't matted up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j68_fk46rNk

Also, have fun with your braids. Style them. Wear a flower as someone suggested. Put them in styles you'd wear your hair were it out and as long and hanging the same.

Last thing, you might be the only on that thinks your own hair is showing. My hair is nothing like the extension hair I use. The hair is so much shinier than my own and I can see my own hair in it, but a coworker and I were talking about African hair and she was telling me how amused she was at her roomie's 4B hair that is usually worn straight and how after she wet it, it disappeared. :lol: (My coworker is white.) She then told me how she asked another lady (company next door) if that was her new weave and how the girl was horrified. (Y'all know how folks went up in arms about the mess Chris Rock started with his movie. :p ) Anyway, she then said, "But your weave blends well with your hair." I thanked her for thinking so about my "extensions" (I corrected her), coz I do try to at least match the color...even though I don't always nail it. So really, we are our toughest critics and you might be the only one feeling that way.

There are other ways to hide frizz till you fix it: a headband, a hat/cap, an updo so that the length of the braids (especially a braid out) cascades over the bases of your braids and takes attention from them.

Last edited:

LivingDol1

i agree with the others. don't give up so soon!! you will reap the benefits of having hidden your hair most of the time. you've weighed your positives and negatives and it sounds line you don't want to wear your hair out right now at this length so i think you may have to tweak your braiding styles/routine and see if you can find a happy solution during your 2 year commitment. you can do it!

Whimsy

You've already gotten some great advice. I just wanted to give you a big ((((HUUUGGGG)))) cuz you sounded so frustrated.

Good luck to you, and damn 2 months? You're good girl!!! 1 week and i'm feigning for a takedown.

ZLUVSNEWZEE

Thanks all for the tips and advice. I have trouble honoring my commitments and that has a lot to do with why I want to take the braids out. I know that I need to work at it for length and I'm getting frustrated but I think I will keep my 2 year braid regimen and I will work on keeping my hair clean and conditioning. I already baggy everynight and I know I can stick this out.

ycj1

Thanks all for the tips and advice. I have trouble honoring my commitments and that has a lot to do with why I want to take the braids out. I know that I need to work at it for length and I'm getting frustrated but I think I will keep my 2 year braid regimen and I will work on keeping my hair clean and conditioning. I already baggy everynight and I know I can stick this out.
Good for you. I am the queen of not committing to anything, but I am determined to grow my hair back to mbl even if it does take me 3 yrs to do with the braids. I am with you 100% all the way. If you ever need any words of encouragement just holla back at me. OK!

Miz_Complexity

I love braids and twist I hate doing my natural hair, It is very hard to comb. I am growing my hair out. I mini chopped in January. What keep me from tiring of my braids are styles. If I get Micros I would wear a style for about of month then get the outer perimeter (first four rows) all the way around redone and styled differently. I let my headrest for about month. I am a wig wearer as well. I keep about 10 cornrows straight to the back put my stocking cap on and keep it moving.

Like you I am not that comfortable wear my hair natural in public. I wear it around friends and family but never to work.

I agree with all the other ladies try twist, pixie, tree braids, and crochet braids. I have not tried yarn braids yet so I have no opinion about toughs. If all else fails then revisit the prospects of wearing a full head weave or partial weaves. They are low manipulation styles if done right. Some people grow their hair out fast with these styles.

Nonie

I love braids and twist I hate doing my natural hair, It is very hard to comb.

Do you comb it dry? That can be painful and a lot of work. Also if you let it shrink often, you'll find it quite the headache to work with. I find using a dry "moisturizer" like Shea butter makes my hair hard to comb. But S Curl is like having conditioner in my hair. It combs as easily as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCcoXph8tF4

Otherwise, I only ever comb it when drenched with conditioner. You may also find the no-comb/minimal com regimen quite helpful. Some long-haired ladies, Mwedzi and Happily Me, I believe use this. I don't use a comb either but I don't wear my hair out as much as they do. Still I finger comb to undo, to part, to twist and single braid. I find finger parting makes parts not become permanent making me look scalpy.

Ese88

what about kinky twists? i like them because they dont get fuzzy so quickly and when they do they still look good

Creatividual

Like the others said, you're good for 2 months! These days, I can't even last a whole week in twists and I'm ready to take them down. Lol. Although after seeing Solange's kinky hair weave, I'm ready to get some crochet braids once I find out what kind of hair that was. Lol. If you're hair isn't blending well with the braids, maybe be try kinky twists or yarn braids. I did kinky twists last summer and my hair blended with twisting hair w no probs.

JaszyFaye

I know how you feel about the braid thing, but I think with more patience you will get use to them. But you must keep up your hair care routine to see positive results as well. :yep:

co-sign on this. Don't give up. When I went natural and had enough hair to braid I wore my hair in braids for a year and my hair grew to SL.

HoneyDew

I had been doing braids straight since October and just couldn't take it anymore. Removed my last set this weekend. I need a break. Im wearing a cute wig for a while. I just could not do it this time.

When I got caught out in the rain today I did kinda miss the braids too though. :perplexed :drunk:

ZLUVSNEWZEE

Good for you. I am the queen of not committing to anything, but I am determined to grow my hair back to mbl even if it does take me 3 yrs to do with the braids. I am with you 100% all the way. If you ever need any words of encouragement just holla back at me. OK!

thanks much

coolsista-paris

I understand you. I also wanna do braids for long.Get that length and keep it is what i want. I have braids in but im gonna take them aout next week (that makes it 1 month with them) i cant stand them on longer..its just me. Well to keep them neat i put a band on at nigh (a scarf i mean). The other style i tried was crochet braids. I can't stand wigs and weaves either. So those are my protective styles, with twists on my natural hair.