Ladies I really need your help!!! Kinda long

hairIAM

I was recently natural from March '06 up until October of 2008. I went to the salon for a virgin relaxer and she used Mizani butter blends on me. The Mizani burned my scalp like fire :burn: (not to mention she took forever to apply it) to where I had two large chemical burns in the back of my head. :perplexed:perplexed I continued to use healthy practices ( co- wash, minimal heat, deep conditioning, protein) after I got the perm, but my hair shed and shed like something crazy:wallbash::wallbash: I now have a bald spot where those chemical burns were. My hair is literally about 1/2 inch in this area and the rest of my hair is grazing my shoulders.Fast forward 3 and a half months later, my hair is still shedding, but I was done with my stretch so I decided to give myself a perm on Feb 1st, using silk elements regular. I even did the protein before neutralizing step, hoping to give my hair strength, but it is still shedding. And to make matters worse, this bald spot is now very noticeable, to where I cannot hide it anymore. What should I do ladies. This is really frustrating . Should I leave the relaxers alone??? Try a no-lye or just go back natural??

Sorry so long
PLEASE HELP.

TIA

Should I leave the relaxers alone???

I think the chemical burns and bald spots are your answer. If you were using super and leaving it on for 30 minutes, that may be the problem. If not, then the chemicals just don't agree with you.

As far as the bald spot, I'd just leave the area alone for a while since it seems like it's the result of the chemical burns. Your scalp is sensitive right now so adding all kinds of extra stuff may only make it worse. I've heard that emu oil is a great restorative oil and it encourages growth so you may want to research it and see if it would work for you.

Alot of people say that the silk elements makes their hair shed. Maybe you should try switching to no lye or try a relaxer especially for sensitive scalp. Did you follow up with a protein treatment? Bumping for more knowledgable ladies.

Wow, I'm really sorry this happened. I would go back to being natural.

What prompted you to relax after being natural?

I think you should leave the relaxers alone for now. If you do decide to get a touchup put base and oils all over that section and make sure you don't relax it.

BTW, I had a similar situation with my sides (thinning badly) and nape area (broke off to less than an inch). I stopped relaxing those areas when I touched my hair up and they grew back healthy. It was one of the reasons I decided to stop relaxing altogether.

Wow, I'm really sorry this happened. I would go back to being natural.

What prompted you to relax after being natural?

I just found being natural very time consuming. I had two children under the age of two a husband and a full time job and spending all that time trying to make my hair look decent just wasn't cutting it. Also it got very very thick and I just lost my patience with it. But maybe it wasn't so bad after all

Alot of people say that the silk elements makes their hair shed. Maybe you should try switching to no lye or try a relaxer especially for sensitive scalp. Did you follow up with a protein treatment? Bumping for more knowledgable ladies.

I used an aphogee 2 minute reconstuctor after the relaxer was washed out. And I've been using replenshing packs every week.

I don't really think that there's anything you can do for the bald spot except leave it alone.

I sort of did the same thing about 4 years ago. I self relaxed and left it in for 45 mins:blush: (I used to do that all the time with no-lye), and my hair broke off on one side of my head. I had to cut the right side to match, about 5 inches.

I don't have any advice about shedding, but I hope it all works out for you.

If you want to relax then I say don't let this stop you. But, maybe stay away from stylists.

Sorry this post isn't that helpful.

((((HairIam)))) I am so sorry you got those terrible burns and are dealing with shedding. If I were you I would leave the relaxers alone for at least 6 months, maybe a year. If you cannot hide the spot then I would get a half wig or even go with a full wig for awhile. You are going to have to give those bald areas time to heal, once an area has burned like that it is highly sensitive and stays that way for awhile. If you do go with a half-wig or wig, remember to keep your hair moisturized and oiled underneath and always let it breath (take off the wig) when you are at home. After a nice break you can decide if you want to relax or go natural. A terrible burn like you described is what brought me to LHCF, my scalp felt like it was on fire.

I would leave em alone. I think that is part of the reason why I used to try to stretch mine out as far as possible when I was relaxed and this was pre-LHCF. Give your hair and scalp lots of TLC as others have stated. I honestly don't think its worth the risk. IMO relaxers aren't for everyone. I think if its something that hurts I don't want it. Listen to what your hair and scalp are trying to tell you. Also being natural isn't that hard. You gave it two years - maybe you just needed more support.

Wow, I am so sorry this happened to you. Here is my best advice..

Lay off the chemicals for awhile - Give you body/scalp time to heal/recover.

Take odorless garlic supplements - A lot of ladies swear by it for shedding esp some of the ones that are doing megatek.

Expect shedding - There maybe damage to your hair follicles and shedding is apart of the healing process.

Castor Oil and massage the bald spots.

Take Zinc or foods rich in zinc - zinc helps the body to heal itself.

Moisture, Moisture Moisture - Use a good Moisturizing deep conditioner perms/relaxers have a tendency of being very drying.

Leave the heat alone.

Take your time and be gentle with your hair.

Baby your hair and scalp.

Patience

I'd say give your self stimulating scalp massages in that area to promote the creation of new cells and blood flow. Keep up on your vitamin regimine so that the hair grows in healthy and strong.
I also find that different relaxers react differently to the hair. Try a very well regarded relaxer like Affirm Fiberguard which claims to help the hair keep more strength and flexibility than other relaxers. I'd also stretch a little longer before I relaxed again.

Back