DESPERATELY need your help ladies!! (long *sorry*)

vitamin_rc

OK....I'm new on this board. I've actually knowned about this site for a while but it wasn't until I've just HAD ENOUGH with my hair is why I'm turning to you! I WAS natural until 2 months ago. I was attempting to give my hair a break from years of relaxers until one day-my flat iron literally would not straighten my hair. My hair is 4a and extremely resistant. I normally wear it pulled back in a ponytail. I've had to glue in 2 tracks in the back because I've developed a bald area. I've since relaxed my hair and everything has been great until 2 weeks ago. My hair is now breaking off (despite using Nexxus Keraphix & Botanioil...they've seemed to make my hair worse) in droves!!! I cannot stop it. I've been taking vitamins, drinking more water, eating better (well.....I need to put the Doritos down today). I'm crying because I WISH I can just get it all cut off but I can't because of the bald spot. My only saving grace is that my hair grows EXTREMELY fast. I need help. How can I get my hair to stop breaking off and finally concentrate on growing! I may have to work around this bald spot for the rest of my life but if there is anything you guys can suggest.....I really need your help...I am just so distraught.....:(

calliope

Hi,

I'm new to the board, but I can tell you that you need to get an Aphogee protein treatment, a good post-moisturizing treatment (either the Aphogee brand or one that you like), and a hooded dryer. Use A LOT of the protein treatment and make sure that you pin up your ends in a kind of bun to make sure that the heat reaches all of your hair properly. This is probably not what you want to hear - especially from a newbie- but it has worked wonders for me as I used to have a severe breakage problem. Hope this helps

andreab

Girl. I am really sorry your having trouble. Start with the deep conditioning mosituring conditioner. The first place you should start is the Guide to Newcomers just starting out.

locabouthair

calliope said:
Hi,

I'm new to the board, but I can tell you that you need to get an Aphogee protein treatment, a good post-moisturizing treatment (either the Aphogee brand or one that you like), and a hooded dryer. Use A LOT of the protein treatment and make sure that you pin up your ends in a kind of bun to make sure that the heat reaches all of your hair properly. This is probably not what you want to hear - especially from a newbie- but it has worked wonders for me as I used to have a severe breakage problem. Hope this helps

i second the aphogee. i had SEVERE damage from the perm. i mean it was bad. aphogee was the only thing that stopped the breakage ALTHOUGH it did stop it for only a couple of days and then the breakage started again but thats because my hair was so severely damaged that nothing helped so i eventually had to cut it off. but the aphogee is a good treatment i could tell the difference before and after i used it. i went from so much hair in the comb to practically no strands in the comb.
anyway the aphogee does stink but it's worth it. u can buy the 4 oz bottle instead of the 16 oz just in case u dont like it. u can buy it at the beauty supply store or online. the most it should cost is $7 for the small bottle. you should apply it then sit under the dryer. DONT comb it out after it is dry you have to wash it out. after you wash it out with plain water you MUST use a moisturizing conditioner or it will leave ur hair hard. i hope this helps. let us know how it goes. i think you are supposed to use it every six weeks or so.

vitamin_rc

Thanks so much you guys-of course I found the Newcomers Guide. I am a little disappointed more girls didn't respond :confused: ...hey I'm glad you guys took the time to write words of encouragement. Thanks again.....I'll keep you guys posted :) I was thinking of getting the Aphoghee (I've used it before but HATED the smell) or Emergencee (since this IS an emergency). After reading the guide-I've shedding less tears and started on my plan of attack...Thanks again! ;)

CarLiTa

hi sorry to hear about your hair troubles but i agree with the other girls you should do an APHOGEE treatment for damaged hair and that will emaliorate your situation.
Also, do a search for 'damaged hair instructions' it's a really old thread but it gives you ideas on different types of hair and how to care for the damaged hair and you'll be seeing good results. Good luck:)

shalom

I agree with Andreab, moisturize your hair. If you have already used a protein treatment then this should be enough to much protein can cause the hair to break even if it is falling out. My two cents would be to moisturize. ;)

Queenie

I'd try the Aphogee then do some intense moisturizing for a few weeks. Deep condition once/wk and moisturize daily. Cond washes are really good for daily moisture, also use a leave-in conditioner.

rai

hmmn, I don't have any advice, but I'm bumping this so the hair gurus will look at it. :) Good luck... Oh did your hair start breaking before or after the perm? Do you think your hair was overprocessed?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I agree, too much protein can cause the hair to break, and always do a deep conditioner after a protein treatmeant, get a good leave in conditioner, and everyday moisturizer (elasta QP mango and butter is good I mix EVOO with mine) and try no heat for awhile. Hope this helps.;)
shalom said:
I agree with Andreab, moisturize your hair. If you have already used a protein treatment then this should be enough to much protein can cause the hair to break even if it is falling out. My two cents would be to moisturize. ;)

vitamin_rc

Rai......ok....I first started relaxing my hair roughly.....18 weeks ago.....Its funny because my hair hadn't been relaxed in 2 years (a big deal for me!)....so it was SILKY!!!!! Nice....I used Frederic Fekkai milk protein once a week (only washed once a week) and moisturized daily with the FF milk protein spray......no breakage....doing good. When it came time to touch up (as I said my hair grows very fast-my only saving grace) - I switched to Nexxus (botanoil and keraphix)...2 weeks later I've been seeng more and more hair breaking off. I can't even say I'm shedding! I was really careful not to overlap (I can only presume that I overprocessed) as some parts of new growth didn't get straight. And its been downhill ever since. Now its creeping up on touching up again and now I'm wondering if I should stop and go natural again (without cutting this time-my hair is just to my ears-pathetic I know in comparison to YOU GUYS!!!!!!) and just flat iron my hair. OR!!!!! Do I keep up the relax game and go back to expensive-*** Fekkai.....or do I rock a Kojak look? I'm open..... :look:

vitamin_rc

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I agree, too much protein can cause the hair to break, and always do a deep conditioner after a protein treatmeant, get a good leave in conditioner, and everyday moisturizer (elasta QP mango and butter is good I mix EVOO with mine) and try no heat for awhile. Hope this helps.;)

How much is too much protein...I presume (I like that word *lol*) that keratin protein and say, soy milk protein have varying strengths. Years ago Redken Anti-Snap snapped ALL my hair off...so I know that particular treatment's not going to work. I've been doing a lot of reading here and letting it all soak in.....and I think I'm running to Sallys today.....I just want to get the right stuff that's really going to work for me. Besides the Mango (which I think may be too heavy for me)....any other daily moisturizers?

MzTami

Hellerrrr
When my hair was breaking, I did not use aphogee. It is something about reconstructors that scare me. I stopped using the flat-Iron. I deep conditioned with leklair cholestrol and bought 911 leave-in conditioner and moisturized the heck out of my hair. Since then I have switched to Aussie hair insurance leave-in since my breakage stopped. I still do the conditioning,deep conditioning, moisturizing,leave-in conditioner and discontinued the flat-Iron completely. I wash once a week.

You can look at my picutres and see how bad the center of my hair was and within 3 weeks it grew back.

Good Luck! HTH!

vitamin_rc

MzTami said:
When my hair was breaking, I did not use aphogee. It is something about reconstructors that scare me. I stopped using the flat-Iron. I deep conditioned with leklair cholestrol and bought 911 leave-in conditioner and moisturized the heck out of my hair.

Oh wow....that's an inspiration....man...I have SO FAR to go.....but as much as my hair grows it would be silly for me NOT to even try! Now, what scares you about reconstructors......everyone is saying do the protein but I don't want to overdo it.....my problem is really finding what works-sticking to it and not pulling my hair up in daily combing. So far I'm stumped on which moisturizers I can use that doesn't leave me all greasy.......but still keeps up the moisture in my hair.....

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Reconstructors could be too strong for your hair and cause even more damage. Try deep conditioning, good leave-in, and moisture, no heat. Don't go straight to the major stuff.

Besides you have been using reconstructors already. Too many is not good.
Do the basics.

HTH

Last edited:

vitamin_rc

You know what? I think you're right!!!!! My hair got in trouble when I switched to Nexxus.......a little protein like milk is ok, yes? I've been checking out the photo albums and I have to say I am completely blown away by some of these photos. I was in tears because I realized with just a little work and perseverance, I could have healthy and long hair too......it occured to me to bother because of the breaking problem. And now I think I was doing too many things. I'll heed all of the suggestions and stick to basics to get on track. I guess I have to start somewhere........this place is a blessing!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I've found the key to stopping breakage is to find the balance between moisture and protein. Aphogee is the "big gun" of protein and way too strong for my hair. I use Aubrey's GPB. Its considered a light protein but it stops shedding and breakage right away. Always follow a protein treatment with a VERY moisturizing conditioner. I like to use a conditioneer with the coinsistancy of cholesterol with a couple drops of honey aaand a few tablespoons of olive oil mixed in. Lastly, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! I use ORS olive oil lotion and their olive oil creme. I also like Elasta Mango butter (on damp hair). When I have breakage I moisturize my ends twice a day (am and pm). Protective and low maintanance styles will also protect fragile hair. Try to keep the direct heat to a minimum. None at all would be better at least until you get the breakage under control. HTH

vitamin_rc

simplycee said:
I've found the key to stopping breakage is to find the balance between moisture and protein. Aphogee is the "big gun" of protein and way too strong for my hair. I use Aubrey's GPB. Its considered a light protein but it stops shedding and breakage right away. Always follow a protein treatment with a VERY moisturizing conditioner. HTH

wow! so much great advice from you ladies........this is particularly helpful because right now my hair is fragile and I don't think it can handle the "big gun". I've heard a lot of good things about Aubrey's (is ManeNTail comparable??). What in your opinion is a VERY moisturizing....ummm...moisturizer....any recs would be fantastic...and thanks so much!

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Vitamin rc...

Have you tried that Fantasia's IC moisturizer? I bought a sample of it, and it's too light for me, but it's good. If I had a fresh relaxer it would be great, but I am transitioning and I use olive oil mositurizer because it's heavier.

I know a lot of people that say nexxus products brought their hair out. Just because it is more expensive than other products, doesn't necessarily mean it works better.

Stick to the basics and your hair will be fine. HTH

MeechUK

MeechUK
My hair is now breaking off (despite using Nexxus Keraphix & Botanioil...they've seemed to make my hair worse) in droves!!! I cannot stop it. I've been taking vitamins, drinking more water, eating better (well.....I need to put the Doritos down today). I'm crying because I WISH I can just get it all cut off but I can't because of the bald spot. My only saving grace is that my hair grows EXTREMELY fast. I need help. How can I get my hair to stop breaking off and finally concentrate on growing! I may have to work around this bald spot for the rest of my life but if there is anything you guys can suggest.....I really need your help...I am just so distraught.....:([/QUOTE]

I would concentrate on scalp massages, deep conditioning with eo and misting with water. Your hair might also not like or developed an intolerance to those particular protein treatments. I would also advice you to trim or dust your ends regularly to combat the split ends.

HHG
MeehUK

Cincysweetie

I have a question...how often are you using the KerapHix and are you following up with a moisturizing conditioner, say Humectress? If you are using the KerapHix you need to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner or at least mix them together. You may be getting too much protein, especially if you are using the KerapHix on a regular basis...and with no other conditioner.

Also...the Botanoil can be a rather harsh shampoo IMO. I would suggest switching also to a moisturizing shampoo. If you would like to stay in the Nexxus family, try Nexxus Therappe. I personally LOVE EQP Creme Conditioning Shampoo...it's very moisturizing and it detangles very well.

So basically...lighten your use of the KerapHix, always use it with a moisturizing conditioner and get rid of the Botanoil...neither seem to be doing your hair any favors. I think once you make those changes you will see a big difference.

vitamin_rc

AND..........................I am learning after the fact that..........................I haev a LOT to learn. I was just using the harsh Botanoil (I could have sworn my hair loved it before!) and the Keraphix without a follow-up moisturizing conditioner *sigh*

I was doing this once a week......and I think I know why my hair breaks off.....at least I have a pretty good idea now. Thanks for your suggestions-I have to experiment now....:)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
vitamin_rc said:
AND..........................I am learning after the fact that..........................I haev a LOT to learn. I was just using the harsh Botanoil (I could have sworn my hair loved it before!) and the Keraphix without a follow-up moisturizing conditioner *sigh*

I was doing this once a week......and I think I know why my hair breaks off.....at least I have a pretty good idea now. Thanks for your suggestions-I have to experiment now....:)

I have a couple products that my hair used to like but stopped working. Thank goodness the ladies here are willing to share cause I'm always learning new things from this site! :)