Komaza Care HAIR ANALYSIS Service - Rave!

Rozlewis

I had a hair analysis earlier this year. I am ordering a follow-up now to see how incorporating the changes have benefited my hair.

Kurlee

Had mine recently and the lady is so lovely!!!
So basically my hair is pretty healthy and strong, but needs a bit more moisture, a trim an more use of a leave-in. It's also medium with some fine hairs.

What surprised me is that she said my hair is 3c. I always thought I was 4a with a smidgin of 3c. Hmmmm. I guess because it's super curly, even though it's not that "silky" and the curls can be pretty big depending on how i style it. Shrugs . . . I dunno.

I'm looking forward to incorporating those changes and doing a follow-up next year :yep:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I had my analysis call on Monday. I had the service done for my 11yo DD's hair.

I got the slides about ten minutes before my call came and I had a chance to look them over.

Turns out I was wrong about a few things when it came to DD's hair. I thought her hair was extremely fine when it's actually just fine-medium at .028-.055 in diameter. She had splits and mid shaft splits, most of it in the last three inches. Jenn suggested I trim her hair at 1/2" every eight weeks until the three inches is gone and after that every three months. There were also SSKs and she reminded me that I need to keep the scissors (she stressed that they be HAIR scissors, which I use) close so I can cut them out instead of tearing them out. She also wants me to use my fingers MORE and combs LESS.

I thought DD's hair was low porosity. Turns out it is normal-high porosity and I saw the raised cuticles on the slides to prove it. So ladies, that hair in the glass test--:nono:, not accurate.

As for recommendations, she thought all of the shampoos I listed were nice and mild and actually suggested that I stop cowashing and use shampoo weekly focusing on the scalp. She said that cowashing thins the hair over time and doing a coconut oil prepoo will protect against dryness. She told me that I will see a MAJOR difference in DD's hair once I start using a mild protein treatment every two weeks and suggested their Protein Hair Strengthener, which I'll purchase soon. I have so many things here that I want to use, maybe I'll use them up on me and get the new stuff for DD. She said to use my fingers close together (STOP using the Denman) and rake through the hair in small sections at least ten times and I'll see her hair start to accept the conditioner more than before. She said to do the protein then DC with moisturizing conditioner after. I use Jane Carter spray leave in and she said I could use that as a refresher but I need a thicker leave in and she suggested their Coconut Hair Milk or Aloe My Hair. I'll be getting one of those soon too. She wants me to rake the l/i the same way as the conditioner.

She also told me that twists and flat twists are better than the corn rows I do a lot. She said they pull the hair less and follow the natural curl pattern more. She said that when I flat iron not to have the temperature at more than 300 degrees because of the delicate nature of DD's hair.

I told her that DD has eczema and also is an athlete and has to wear a bun for her sport in season, so we talked about increasing her water intake, rinsing her hair of sweat throughout the week, probiotics, and using gel. She said to make sure to have a good l/i under the gel to protect the hair and decrease the drying effects.

I'm so glad I did this. I'm really looking forward to seeing a turnaround in her hair.

Last edited:

beloved1bx

Dayjoy can I ask what specifically did she have to say about your DD's eczema? Are the probiotics supposed to help with that? My niece has severe eczema and it's causing thinning.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Dayjoy can I ask what specifically did she have to say about your DD's eczema? Are the probiotics supposed to help with that? My niece has severe eczema and it's causing thinning.

We talked about increasing her water and overall fluid intake, how flaxseed oil could help if I could get her to take them, and yes, probiotics. Eczema has so many possible causes and/or triggers, and too much of the wrong bacteria and not enough of the right ones (imbalance) is believed to be one of them. Probiotics are supposed to supply good, helpful bacteria. She said I could find chewable ones some place like The Vitamin Shoppe or a well stocked health food store.

Have you ever searched on the Makeup and Skin Care Forum? I've gotten a lot of information from many threads there about eczema. I just switched her to the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Body Wash and it has been working very well for her. I got that suggestion in the Makeup forum. Also she has started taking bleach baths twice a week. The bleach is supposed to attack excess bacteria on her skin. We put 1/4 cup of bleach (I bought the lavender scent to have her feel more spa like) in the tub and she soaks for 15-20 minutes. We do this less in the summer when she swims in the chlorinated pool often. That suggestion came from her dermatologist and it has also made a difference.

HTH. beloved1bx

FelaShrine

Thanks Dayjoy

I didnt understand the deman part, do you usually use denman to get conditioner into her hair or what made her say taht

btw is your DD natural

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Thanks Dayjoy

I didnt understand the deman part, do you usually use denman to get conditioner into her hair or what made her say taht

btw is your DD natural

I was using the Denman to distribute conditioner through her hair and to get rid of shed hair. I won't be doing that anymore.

Yes, DD is natural. FOREVER:look:

beloved1bx

DarkJoy thank you for your response! I was actually looking up eczema on the forum last night. I ordered neem oil as a result. I heard it stinks but many have said it's really helped their skin conditions. I'm sure their is quite an imbalance in her system so I'm going to find a chewable kids probiotic for her.
I also suggested that my sister ask for an allergy test to see if she has any allergies since those could be triggers.

I'm pretty sure my sis has tried bleach baths at the rec of a derm. I can't remember how long she did it for/if it worked. I know my sis is stressed out about this since my niece has it all over her body and scratches all day. So I think she sometimes gets frustrated quickly. She started using castile soap at bath time which has helped. But I told her she's going to have to start oiling/putting something on her scalp every day to keep it moisturized.
Thanks for your help.

BranwenRosewood

Sent my hair in on 9/26 and still haven't heard anything. Just sent the second email asking about it. I'm annoyed because it takes a while for me to gather that much hair. I don't want to have to do this over again. If they don't reply by Friday I'm just gonna ask for a refund and continue using trial and error on my hair.

ETA: Found the email in spam. If they reply to my latest one I'll let them know what happened.

Last edited:

blackeyes31626

Sent my hair in on 9/26 and still haven't heard anything. Just sent the second email asking about it. I'm annoyed because it takes a while for me to gather that much hair. I don't want to have to do this over again. If they don't reply by Friday I'm just gonna ask for a refund and continue using trial and error on my hair.

So, you didn't track it?
Gosh, I hope it didn't got lost I'd be upset too.

BranwenRosewood

So, you didn't track it?
Gosh, I hope it didn't got lost I'd be upset too.

I used a stamped envelope so I couldn't track it. I actually just checked my spam folder and found the email saying they received it. If they reply to my email I'll let them know what happened. When I was cleaning my inbox I accidentally sent one of their emails to spam (and immediately removed it) so the latest email they sent me went to spam. Yahoo gets on my nerves.

BranwenRosewood

Just received a reply from them saying they didn't get my hair sample but I found the email saying that they did. I'm wondering which is correct.

ETA: They DO have it! I'm so glad. I hope my consultation happens before I go out of town. I'll be gone for two weeks and I don't know what to take with me.

Last edited:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
How does cowashing thin the hair?

You can email her to ask followup questions

I emailed them a few days ago with four questions that I came up with after our call (including the one about the cowashing) and she replied. She said "Cowashing over time causes buildup that clogs the follicles and when the follicles are clogged they will produce finer hair and eventually shed hair.
Washing with shampoo once a week is great and if you want to co wash in between the wash that is fine. The scalp needs to be washed."

Last edited:

Evolving78

DarkJoy thank you for your response! I was actually looking up eczema on the forum last night. I ordered neem oil as a result. I heard it stinks but many have said it's really helped their skin conditions. I'm sure their is quite an imbalance in her system so I'm going to find a chewable kids probiotic for her.
I also suggested that my sister ask for an allergy test to see if she has any allergies since those could be triggers.

I'm pretty sure my sis has tried bleach baths at the rec of a derm. I can't remember how long she did it for/if it worked. I know my sis is stressed out about this since my niece has it all over her body and scratches all day. So I think she sometimes gets frustrated quickly. She started using castile soap at bath time which has helped. But I told her she's going to have to start oiling/putting something on her scalp every day to keep it moisturized.
Thanks for your help.

Tell her to moisturize with a lotion and seal with an oil like eucerin cream or baby oil gel. I have eczema too. For two years I had a flare up so bad after I had my daughter. I used pure glycerin to moisturize with and it helped give my skin the moisture it needed. The over the counter hydrocortizone creams will help. If her skin is that bad, she needs something a little stronger to get it under control. You don't want her to get a secondary infection. My son got shingles on top of his eczema. It was horrible. He never had chicken pox. He just turned 5 years old. He was scratching his skin and caused open cuts for germs to get in.

beloved1bx

Tell her to moisturize with a lotion and seal with an oil like eucerin cream or baby oil gel. I have eczema too. For two years I had a flare up so bad after I had my daughter. I used pure glycerin to moisturize with and it helped give my skin the moisture it needed. The over the counter hydrocortizone creams will help. If her skin is that bad, she needs something a little stronger to get it under control. You don't want her to get a secondary infection. My son got shingles on top of his eczema. It was horrible. He never had chicken pox. He just turned 5 years old. He was scratching his skin and caused open cuts for germs to get in.

Thanks for chiming in. Sry to hear about your son. That sounds awful. I'll tell my sis about layering lotions and oils like you suggested. I might make a shea butter mix for her as well. I just need to get my sis to start moisturizing her hair/scalp as well. Niece itches so much her hair is falling out.

mamaore

ETA: Found the email in spam. If they reply to my latest one I'll let them know what happened.

My hair sample got lost the first time. For some reason, no one signed for the mail and it was returned to Canada. My fault for not keeping a tab on the tracking. I had to start the process all over again. My appointment is on Monday although I purchased the service in June. I was disappointed but I really need to know what's up with my hair. I have been growing it since 2008 and its still not APL yet.

Rozlewis

I received an e-mail from Komaza Care that they received my hair sample. I should hear back form them within 14 business days.

mamaore

I had my interview on Monday. It was surprising because I thought my hair will be very unhealthy, but apparently its not as bad as I thought. I'm glad I purchased the service... no more guessing.

I'll add details as soon as I read my report.

Ari8

So, how is it that they're able to identify nutritional (vitamin/mineral) deficiencies? Because I recently found out that I have a few and they didn't see anything; and, as far as I know, these particular deficiencies take time to develop.

mamaore

So, how is it that they're able to identify nutritional (vitamin/mineral) deficiencies? Because I recently found out that I have a few and they didn't see anything; and, as far as I know, these particular deficiencies take time to develop.

She didn't say she identified vitamin deficiency from my hair, although we talked about Thyroid and Iron.

southerncitygirl

Lilmama1011

i have yet to get a hair analysis from komaza, because I think my hair is in good shape. i have been a fan of her products for quite a while here's a few of my fave products from her line:
protein strengthener
aloe my hair spray
califa spray

I may try her pona spray when she has a black friday sale, I also need reup on her protein strengthener. Her products are fairly priced and a little goes a long way. I have yet to try her shampoo because the giovanni shampoo does me fine, I rotate btw smooth as silk, 50:50 and chinese botanicals. the lietrs are always at tj maxx or marshalls for 12.99.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
For the protein strengthener I have been drying it in with a hand held blow dryer but for those of you who leave it overnight do you air dry in first b4 bed? And if so with or without a cap? I'm thinking about doing another treatment but overnight this time. TIA!

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

BranwenRosewood

Just got off the phone with Jenn and it was not what I expected. I'm not upset about it but I am surprised.

My hair is normal porosity with bits of high porosity when I thought it was low porosity. My hair is fine/medium .043-.080 and I thought it was medium/thick. My curl pattern is mainly 3c with 4a in the crown. She actually told me it was 3c with some 3b strands but I described my crown (very tightly coiled with a ton of shrinkage) and she agreed that that part is 4a.

My hair is over conditioned because I treated it like low porosity hair and rarely did protein treatments. She says I should pt on my next wash day and do it once a month or every other month after that. I have some spots in the front that are super frizzy and won't curl (probably the high porosity spots) and she says a pt will fix that.

My biggest problem is build-up. Most of my pics were of root sheaths with product build-up. She said my hair follicles are clogged and will stop producing hair because of it. The build-up is caused by my conditioner being too thick and not being formulated specifically for being left in the hair. I normally thin out my deep conditioner and use that as a leave-in but she says not to do that anymore and to invest in a good leave-in before I buy anything else. She recommended the Aloe My Hair leave-in from Komaza. I'll order it when I get home but while I'm in Houston I'll try to find the bss I heard about that sells some online brands.

I don't have a lot of breakage and my hair is in pretty good health. Since I just trimmed an inch off last week she didn't tell me to trim anything (she says do a pt after a trim). I did have some ssk's and she wants me to start using my fingers more than tools when I detangle and apply conditioner. I had already decided to try finger-combing after I saw the state of my ends when I flat-ironed for a trim last week. Since I bc'd in september I have only been using the Wet Brush on my hair and as much as I love how easy it is to detangle with it, my ends do not like it. My ends were bushy and rough feeling so I decided to quit using it and do the finger-combing/minimal tool usage thing for a while. She didn't say anything about splits which is not surprising to me since I rarely see them. Even though my ends felt horrible before I trimmed, I didn't actually see any splits.

I asked about sealing my hair and she said I should stick with light oils and butters. I normally use Safflower oil so I'll stick with that. I forgot to ask about gels and custards. I asked her about a spritz I made (water, aloe, glycerin, honeyquat and saa) and she said it's fine especially since I live in New Orleans but I have to watch the glycerin because it can build up on my hair and only use it after I've used a leave-in.

I split this in half since it got so long.