Komaza Hair Analysis

spacetygrss

My Komaza Hair Analysis and phone consult were completed this week. Jen and I spent over 30 minutes on the phone.
For whatever reason I can't cut and paste the results so I'm going to type out a summary of the analysis and our conversation. LOL.

I have High Porosity, fine-to-medium hair with lots of midshaft splits that start about 2/3 of the way down the hair shaft. My cuticles were very clearly lifted on the images. I need tons of protein to strengthen my hair and normalize porosity.
Recommendations:
- Cut one inch now and 1/4 inch every 10 weeks.
-Wash hair using my shampoo of choice once a week, sulfate-free is gentler.
-Protein Conditioner every week (I already use the Komaza brand; she said that if I use another brand follow their directions. I don't need hard protein, just consistent use of a mild protein).
- follow with a moisturizing conditioner for 10 minutes. No prolonged DC sessions and no sitting under steamers or dryers! This can actually over-moisturize your hair and cause weakness and, GASP, breakage and splitting. It'll also undo the work of the protein conditioner.
-Apply leave-in conditioner. Make sure to smooth it through each section. Take this as a chance to get any leftover tangles out of the hair using your fingers.
-Apply heavy sealant.
- If hair is still wet at the end of the day (i.e. if it was washed in the morning and then put into a bun), don't add more leave-in conditioner when putting hair up before bed. This can also lead to over-moisturized hair.
- absolutely no cowashing.
- Use a daily protein spray.
-No products with mineral oil or petroleum.
- f/u in 4 months to reassess.

The rest of the analysis were the general recommendations about vitamins, staying hydrated, etc.

Overall, I'm pleased. I think that this gives me a solid place to start. I was definitely doing too many moisturizing DC sessions and many of my problems, now that I look back, seem to have started when I started getting obsessed with DC challenges, steaming, etc. I hope that I have some positive results when I check back in in the Fall.

sikora

I also got the over-moisturized diagnosis. I was most blown away by that. We get it drilled into our heads how dry our hair is, so I never thought that I could be doing my hair harm with moisture. I'm only doing the brief post-protein deep conditioning every other week (10 minutes like you). On my non protein weeks I'm using Aubrey Organics GPB and those instructions say to leave in for 1 to 2 minutes.

FYI, they're having a 20% sale for July 4th, so stock up if you need to. I picked up the Califia Moisturizing spray and some more of the Protein strengthener. I can't wait to see how my hair does once I get all of my products on hand.

so1913

I also got the over-moisturized diagnosis. I was most blown away by that. We get it drilled into our heads how dry our hair is, so I never thought that I could be doing my hair harm with moisture. I'm only doing the brief post-protein deep conditioning every other week (10 minutes like you). On my non protein weeks I'm using Aubrey Organics GPB and those instructions say to leave in for 1 to 2 minutes.

FYI, they're having a 20% sale for July 4th, so stock up if you need to. I picked up the Califia Moisturizing spray and some more of the Protein strengthener. I can't wait to see how my hair does once I get all of my products on hand.

Is there a code for the 20% off? Would love to stock up on some more protein strengthener.

iLurk

This is most likely the reason so many people are getting similar results calling for protein. First thing I learned on the hair journey is how we need so much moisture and how easy it was to have protein overload. So I was hesitant to use as much protein as I should have.

Heck every other day we hear of a new moisturising method.

blackeyes31626

Interesting...
So, KC protein strengthener is a mild protein? it sure doesn't feel mild on my lopo hair. lol
What's your daily protein spray?
I had a midshaft split too I think she said it was probably caused by my goody band ponytail holder.

spacetygrss

Interesting...
So, KC protein strengthener is a mild protein? it sure doesn't feel mild on my lopo hair. lol
What's your daily protein spray?
I had a midshaft split too I think she said it was probably caused by my goody band ponytail holder.

I always thought that it was a moderate protein, but she considers it a mild protein. If it feels strong to you definitely be careful. My hair LOVES protein. I was already using it twice per month, but I was following it up with 20-30 minute DC sessions under the steamer or hair dryer. That was a no-no for my hair.
I have a sample of Komaza's protein spray that I had gotten a few months ago (they're currently changing the name and it will be relaunched soon), but when it runs out I'll use Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer spray, which I just ordered the other day.

so1913

Thanks for the code ladies.

And good luck OP! It hasn't been a long time since I got my consultation, but so far I can see the difference following the recommendations.

sgold04

Probably just sold out due to 4th of July sales

I tried to purchase too and didn't see anything, i figured they must have been sold out.

I have a feeling they will tell me I need more protein. My hair feels fantastic after a protein treatment, I'm not sure why I don't do it more often

ajargon02

I have the results of my analysis next friday. I can't wait to hear the results to help me get back to where I was with my healthy hair a few years ago.

Avyn

I have high porosity hair and I use water sparingly. I used to DC overnight twice a week and keep water in my hair for moisture because my hair would be soooo dry. I started getting unmanageable frizzy hair and after reading thought that of I stopped swelling my hair with so much moisture, my cuticles would stop being perpetually raised. I also ONLY use light to heavy protein conditioners in my (dry) hair because my hair is also fine. This is really working out for me so far.

Smiley79

Are they still offering this service. I went to the site and it said no results found when I clicked hair analysis.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags

Daina

Are they still offering this service. I went to the site and it said no results found when I clicked hair analysis.

@Smiley79, yes they are still offering but have put accepting new orders on hold until mid-April. They rep I spoke with said they had fallen behind on finalizing the orders they had so they stopped new orders till then, check back by 4/15.

meka72

So how is your hair doing now? Which of the recommendations did you try?

I'm thinking about trying the 10 minute DC after my protein treatment.

Oh jeesh. It's been so long that I can hardly remember.

I don't think that I sent in very much. I know that I had to collect the hair over a couple of wash sessions because I'm not a big shedder. Maybe 25-50?

spacetygrss

So how is your hair doing now? Which of the recommendations did you try?

I'm thinking about trying the 10 minute DC after my protein treatment.
My hair is doing well.
I find an occasional hair "bubble," but that's the exception not the rule. I seriously upped my protein usage based on her recommendations. I use a heavy protein (like Aphogee 2-step) every 4-6 weeks and will use a lighter protein, like the Komaza or Aphogee 2 minute every 1-2 weeks, depending on how my hair feels. I only do a true DC after the heavy protein and I even max that out at 20 minutes. The other days, I just do a quick 2-3 minutes with Joico moisture recovery balm after the protein WITHOUT heat and keep it moving.

My hair is happy, healthy, and has very few splits ends. All-in-all, I'm glad that I did the analysis.

meka72

Thanks for sharing your experience. So many people have posted how their hair improved after the analysis and implementing the recommended changes. Every time I think about doing it, I get paranoid that Komaza is going to turn my DNA over to the feds. Lol.

Thanks again! I may try your changes since I also have high porosity hair.

My hair is doing well.
I find an occasional hair "bubble," but that's the exception not the rule. I seriously upped my protein usage based on her recommendations. I use a heavy protein (like Aphogee 2-step) every 4-6 weeks and will use a lighter protein, like the Komaza or Aphogee 2 minute every 1-2 weeks, depending on how my hair feels. I only do a true DC after the heavy protein and I even max that out at 20 minutes. The other days, I just do a quick 2-3 minutes with Joico moisture recovery balm after the protein WITHOUT heat and keep it moving.

My hair is happy, healthy, and has very few splits ends. All-in-all, I'm glad that I did the analysis.

Rozlewis

I have had hair analysis from Komaza Care and Gooseprints and I was satisfied with the results of both. I had the Komaza Care analysis first because I like that it comes with a call to review the results. About a year later I had the Gooseprints analysis to see if there was a difference in the health of my hair. The Gooseprints analysis is very thorough but there is not a call to review the results. However, you can send any follow-up questions via e-mail and they are very good about getting back to you with a complete response. I plan to do another follow-up with Gooseprints in October because it will be a year after my first analysis with them.

Also, the price of Gooseprints is more palatable.