Kimmaytube Leave-In on relaxed hair review

krissyprissy

After searching threads for results of Kimmaytube's leave-in on relaxed hair, I didn't find many reviews. It seems that more naturals are using the formula based on my search on this forum and Youtube. Since many natural ladies were having good results I decided to give it a try.

This is the formula I used:
2 tablespoons of GNC Aloe Vera Juice
2 tablespoons of Skala Aloe leave-in conditioner
2 teaspoons of Olive oil
2 teaspoons of Plain Castor Oil

Today, I washed and conditioned as usual in the shower. After squeezing the water from my hair I applied the mixture, detangled, and sat under my hooded dryer with my hair hanging straight down till 90% dry.
The Results:My hair was very soft and moisturized. Some of the oil from the mixture was still sitting in my hair but that was fine since I was planning on smoothing it into a bun. This is surely something I can include in my winter regimen.
Pros: Hair was smooth and soft to the touch.
Perfect for the harsh winter months
Great to retain moisture during protective styling
Cons: Hair was a little limp.
I will not use if I'm going for bodifying styles.

HappilyLiberal

After searching threads for results of Kimmaytube's leave-in on relaxed hair, I didn't find many reviews. It seems that more naturals are using the formula based on my search on this forum and Youtube. Since many natural ladies were having good results I decided to give it a try.

This is the formula I used:
2 tablespoons of GNC Aloe Vera Juice
2 tablespoons of Skala Aloe leave-in conditioner
2 teaspoons of Olive oil
2 teaspoons of Plain Castor Oil

Today, I washed and conditioned as usual in the shower. After squeezing the water from my hair I applied the mixture, detangled, and sat under my hooded dryer with my hair hanging straight down till 90% dry.
The Results:My hair was very soft and moisturized. Some of the oil from the mixture was still sitting in my hair but that was fine since I was planning on smoothing it into a bun. This is surely something I can include in my winter regimen.
Pros: Hair was smooth and soft to the touch.
Perfect for the harsh winter months
Great to retain moisture during protective styling
Cons: Hair was a little limp.
I will not use if I'm going for bodifying styles.

Someone on the other KimmayTube thread said that for relaxed heads if you cut the oil in half it works better.

Kimiche

Thanks for your review. I am relaxed as well and was wondering if it would work for me also.

mstk

I'm texlaxed (with about 1/2 of my hair relaxed towards the ends) and I like it. I use the same amount of oil Kimmay recommends in her recipe video, and my creamy base is Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and I use slightly less of castor and jojoba oil so that I can add the equivalent amount of hemp seed oil.

I wear my hair in buns though. If I plan to straighten it, I still use the leave-in but I have to be very light handed with it so that the oil doesn't produce smoke when I flat iron. Both the relaxed and texlaxed portions of my hair really seem to benefit from this leave-in.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm relaxed and have used this mixture several times. I find that my hair was too oily with using the amount of oil as kim suggests. Today I used a little less oil and I'm very pleased.

HairBella08

I use this mix with the suggested oil and my hair loves it. However, I think in my next batch I will use less jojoba and castor oil and add a hemp seed oil instead.

Last edited:

Kimiche

I tried this leave-in recently and I think that I finally found the right ingredients for my hair, after trial and error.

I first went to GNC to get all of the ingredients (because I was in the area), but they only had aloe vera gel instead of juice. :sad: The woman that worked there told me that the gel would work better anyhow, yeah right. I tried that with the jojoba and castor oil with a few different leave-in conditioners like Elucence MB and Yes To Cucumbers leave-in. My hair wasn't moisturized like I expected it to be with any of them.

I didn't want to give up, so the following week I decided to go ahead and just order the exact ingredients like Kimmaytube. I ordered the aloe vera juice from Vitacost and some Kinky Curly Knot Today. I decided to try Yes To Cucumbers leave-in for this mixture as well, so I added half a tablespoon in as well. This time I eliminated the castor oil since I read that it's a humectant. My hair dries out with humectants like glycerin, so I didn't want to take that chance. My hair felt nice and moisturized with this. I have to add that my hair is usually dry by the end of the day, but it still feels nice and moisturized.
:yep:

Last edited:

lovelexi

I tried this today and my hair feels pretty good. It is moisturized and soft.
I tweaked the leave in to fit my own hair needs. So I used
2 teaspoon Knot Today
1 teaspoon Aloe Vera Juice
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
My hair has got a good balance going on right now. It is not too oily and it is far from dry. I will continue using this in the future.

ETA: second day hair is lovely! My hair is so soft and smooth.

Last edited:

LABETT

I used the same products as Kimmay and my hair loved it.
I have fine relaxed strands and my hair was soft and moisturized for days.
I may try another conditioner in the future but for now I am sticking with her mixture.

cocoagirl

What is the purpose of the oils in the mix? Do they just serve as sealants? Does it matter which oils you use? The lower the ph the better?

Bnster

Subscribing. I want to try it but haven't yet taken the time to make it. I will recommend this to my cousin who is transition from texlax to natural.

baglady215

I tried a version of this yesterday. I used Rusk instead of the Kinky Curly and a little bit of castor oil (not the full amount). My hair felt moisturized, but I think I can get a better mix with a different leave in and maybe different oils.

cocoagirl

Is anyone using this mixture as a daily moisturizer? If so, are you using the exact same leave in mixture or are you varying it for everyday use?

divachyk

Is anyone using this mixture as a daily moisturizer? If so, are you using the exact same leave in mixture or are you varying it for everyday use?
Yes. I use what's left over from wash day as my daily moisturizer. If I find that my hair is getting too oily, I will use it every other day rather than daily but it's the same mixture.

baglady215

For daily use, I just use it with a little bit of grapeseed oil (castor was too heavy). I've been liking it lately with Giovanni Direct. Didn't like it with the Taliah Waajid (I like that with distilled water).

cocoagirl

hmm I used this leave-in today and my hair wasn't as moisturized as it is when I use KCKT by itself sealed with oil or KCKT/Elucence sealed with oil. Next time I wont do an ACV rinse as my last rinse and see if that makes a difference. I don't any PH strips so I hope my concoction was the right PH...

kiesha8185

Yes. I use what's left over from wash day as my daily moisturizer. If I find that my hair is getting too oily, I will use it every other day rather than daily but it's the same mixture.

Same here. I leave mine in the fridge. I tweaked the formula a little bit:

2 tablespoons of Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice (whole leaf)
2 tablespoons of Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-in Conditioner
1 teaspoons of Olive oil
1 teaspoons of Castor Oil

I cut the amount of oil in half and it's still too much oil. It weighs my hair down. It does a great job softening my hair though. Next batch will only have 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of castor oil. I moisturize my hair every 2-3 days.

divachyk

1 teaspoons of Olive oil

I cut the amount of oil in half and it's still too much oil. It weighs my hair down. It does a great job softening my hair though. Next batch will only have 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of castor oil. I moisturize my hair every 2-3 days.
Agree, too much oil (for my hair) as the recipe is originally written but I've yet to tweak it to better suit my needs. I plan to do that soon so that my hair is weighted down. I was m&s daily but I'm looking to m&s every 2-3 days going forward. I'm finding this is working better for my hair than daily.

HappilyLiberal

1 teaspoons of Olive oil

Castor oil is a really heavy oil. And Olive Oil is a little heavy. The second time I used the mixture (I have very fine hair) I used 1/2 teaspoon of Castor Oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil. If oil weighs your hair down, I really recommend that you use the Jojoba Oil since it is very light.