Just took out my micros and...

That stupid **** gave me so many broken hairs...

I'll never let a braider comb and blowdry my hair so hard. Not even blowdry. I never used to see so many fuzzies and short, uneven hairs. Never again.

I will DEMAND that my braider be extremely gentle with my hair. I will speak with them before I even sit down, and they have to agree to be gentle, or else they won't get my damn money.

But I guess this is all my fault for wanting micros. At least I had them once in my life. But I figured, natural with micros is pretty hard to deal with...

Isis77

I'm sorry that they didn't work out for you :nono:. Micros are known to be pretty hard on the hair, especially when the braider has no consideration for your hair too.

I know lots of ladies on the board put their own micros in, do you think (with their help) that that might be an option? Because no one will treat your hair as well as you.

danigurl18

Did you do the crown and glory method? Keep your hair moisturized?
I use the crown and glory and I've never had broken hairs.. maybe you should find another braider that will listen to what you want and do what you ask... sorry to hear about that!

I use the crown and glory and I've never had broken hairs.. maybe you should find another braider that will listen to what you want and do what you ask... sorry to hear about that!

Yeah, I really like to spray my braids, keep them moisturized, and I like to follow the CnG method. I am pretty sure the breakage was from her blowdrying my hair with the comb attachment on the dryer. I saw the hairs coming out. I told her to be gentle, but I guess we had different ideas of gentle. I just sat through it cuz I know the micros wouldn't look good if my hair wasn't straightened a little. I should have blowdried before getting there.

Thanks for your responses. I was about to go to another salon this weekend to get kinky twists, but I thought about it and I've decided to do it myself.

It's true, no one cares more about my hair than me. Even if they don't look perfect, I need practice and there's no better time than right now!

carameldiva

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with micros as a natural. I had a good experience with mine and gained a lot of growth. Detangling was a beotch when I removed them but that was it. No breakage or anything like that. I don't like them blowdrying my hair like that either. So this time when I got tree braids, I didn't allow them to blowdry my hair at all. Of course, they refused to use my wide tooth comb and opted for their tiny comb but other than that it was a pleasant experience. I have been taking good care of my hair so hopefully I will have the same results when I reomve them.

Nonie

Yeah, I really like to spray my braids, keep them moisturized, and I like to follow the CnG method. I am pretty sure the breakage was from her blowdrying my hair with the comb attachment on the dryer. I saw the hairs coming out. I told her to be gentle, but I guess we had different ideas of gentle. I just sat through it cuz I know the micros wouldn't look good if my hair wasn't straightened a little. I should have blowdried before getting there.

Thanks for your responses. I was about to go to another salon this weekend to get kinky twists, but I thought about it and I've decided to do it myself.

It's true, no one cares more about my hair than me. Even if they don't look perfect, I need practice and there's no better time than right now!

Hun, who told you that your braids won't look good if your hair isn't straightened before they are put in? :nono: In fact, I think that's a mistake people make to straighten hair first because when you wash your hair, the shrinkage factor will cause an accordion effect on the braid making it look untidy. I have never straightened my hair and I don't think my braids look bad at all. Here are some close-ups of my hair and the braids that were done on the natural hair you see beside them:

Look at the bottom pics in the set below, the two to the right. You can see my natural hair just out of braids, and then the completed braid shows no hint of the difference in textures:

Another picture of my hair as it looked before I put the braids in:

And below the completed braids done on unstraightened hair:

ETA: Yes, learning to do your own braids is the only guarantee that they will not damage your hair. You might be lucky to find a good stylist once in a while. But why take the chance, eh?

Last edited: