John Freida Rinses have Sodium Hydroxide in them..

myronnie

A couple years ago when my hair was shoulder length I was really into light brown hair but I realized that I couldn't dye my hair with semi-permanent/permanent dyes because my hair might fall out. So i discovered John Freida's Luminous Color Rinse in Chestnut brown! I used it a couple times a week just as a quickie last rinse and after about 3 weeks using it, my friends could tell that my hair was brown and i could tell too!
Now 2 years later I see a marked change between the hair colored by the glaze and that not colored by the glaze. Yes, the color is still there..and the hair is much thinner than the hair that hasn't been colored by the glaze. When i run my fingers down my hair shaft i can feel the difference between the two textures.. :nono:
So i set out to investigate :sekret: the ingredients in the glaze that I thought would not harm my hair..

Brown:
Water , Propylene Carbonate , Alcohol Denat , Citric Acid , Cyclopentasiloxane , Xanthan Gum , Dimethiconol , Malic Acid , Propylene Glycol , Pearl Powder , Theobroma Cacao Extract Cocoa , Sodium Hydroxide , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Fragrance , Iron Oxides , Mica , Titanium Dioxide , Orange 4 , Yellow 10 , Ext. Violet 2

Sodium hydroxide has been used as a relaxer to straighten hair. However, because of the high incidence and intensity of chemical burns, chemical relaxer manufacturers have now switched to other alkaline chemicals, although sodium hydroxide relaxers are still available, used mostly by professionals.

And low and behold I found that there was Sodium Hydroxidein the glaze!!
Even in the clear!!
Clear : Water , Propylene Carbonate , Alcohol Denat , Citric Acid , Cyclopentasiloxane , Xanthan Gum , Dimethiconol , Malic Acid , Tourmaline Citrine , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol , TEA-Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein , Sodium Hydroxide , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Fragrance , Titanium Dioxide , Mica , Ext. Violet 2

Now I know that sodium hydroxide is in the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In, but I think that there is a higher concentration in the john freida glazes..just something to think about.

Candela.

Now I know that sodium hydroxide is in the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In, but I think that there is a higher concentration in the john freida glazes..just something to think about.

Can someone please elaborate on lye being in conditioners and lotions. I've seen this too...in baby lotion and I don't understand why they do this. TIA.