Pantene's New Curls to Straight Conditioner with Sodium Hydroxide

loulou82

I was in Bed Bath and Beyond hair care aisle this weekend and noticed that Pantene has a new Curly Series Shampoo and Conditioner. :grin: One set is called Dry to Moistured and the other is Curls to Straight. I read the ingredients in both and nothing struck me as being different from other Pantene conditioners but I noticed something in the Curls to Straight Conditioner which states it "helps you loosen curls, adds softness and control".

HOW
Pantene’s advanced formula forms a cushion around hair strands to help absorbs friction, protecting curly hair from damage and breakage. And the unique micro-smoother system helps straighten curly hair and prepares hair for styling.

Ingredients:

Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Pantene put sodium hydroxide in a conditioner that's marketed at loosening your curls. For those that don't know sodium hydroxide is the lye substance used in relaxers. How much loosening can this conditioner do? Do you think it's too far down the ingredient list to make a noticeable difference? Would you purchase?

Last edited:

shtow

A lot of conditioners have sodium hydroxide. I think it has to do with the concentration of it and the other chems in the product. I wouldn't worry in this case.

I read some comments by a few different people in a recent thread of a similar topic, that said sodium hydroxide is found in a lot of hair and body products, in very small amounts, so it's probably nothing to worry about. Somebody correct me if I am wrong though.

Mz.MoMo5235

i honestly cant say... but i'm not worried since i have no intention of using it. i do not wear my hair straight enough to worry about it.

but i'm sure the ladies above me are correct in the fact that it should be nothing to worry about unless you have an allergic reaction to that ingredient

BeetleBug

I think sodium hydroxide is in most of their conditioners. I believed it's used to adjust the pH.

loulou82

Thanks. I've seen sodium hydroxide in hair products before but I was intrigued by what the concentration was in this conditioner since it's designed to loosen the curls. I've never seen a conditioner marketed to do that.

ETA: Their other conditioners don't have sodium hydroxide including Pantene Nature Fusion and Dry to Moisturized which led to to wonder why this had it and the others didn't.

Geminigirl

nope I wouldn't purchase cause I am not trying to loosen my coils or go from curls to straight. BUT the dry to moisture one intrigued me a little.

shtow

Thanks. I've seen sodium hydroxide in hair products before but I was intrigued by what the concentration was in this conditioner since it's designed to loosen the curls. I've never seen a conditioner marketed to do that.

ETA: Their other conditioners don't have sodium hydroxide including Pantene Nature Fusion and Dry to Moisturized which led to to wonder why this had it and the others didn't.

I thought the Relaxed and Natural line had it but I could be wrong

I can def understand the side eye due to the claims of what this product is supposed to do, I guess it's a temporary effect.

BeetleBug

I saw that this conditioner had sodium hydroxide also.
http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=7463