Jilbere: Straightening vs Flat iron

Boadicea

Is there any difference between a ceramic straightening iron and a ceramic flat iron? I want to buy the Jilbere ceramic flat iron after seeing many favorable reviews, but I'm confused as to the difference meant by "flat" and "straightening"

Are they the same or will one make hair straighter than the other, is one better for the hair?

Crysdon

Hi Boadicea,

Not trying to hijack your thread, but do you happen to also have the Jilbere Ceramic Curling Iron? I bought it last night and I'm going to try it this weekend. I'm going to try something new. Instead of the usualy rollerset, I'm going to put my hair in 2 ponytails and sit under the bonnet, then curl my hair with the curling iron.

My question is: What number should I use on the dial? My hair is mostly 3b with a few 3c setions and the strands are very fine. TIA

Boadicea

Hello Crysdon

No, I've never used any Jilbere products before. I don't use curling irons because I always get that novice crease at the end that screams "I did my hair myself"

hairfanatic

Hi Boadicea

I don't know what the difference is, it could be just in the name. I do know that a lot of people on this forum buys the small one for about $37.00.

hairfanatic

Hi Crysdon,

I have the ceremic curling iron by Jilbere but wished that I had gotten the flat iron. The one thing about the curling iron is that over time, the material will scratch off. My hair is similiar to yours and I can use between a 10 and 12 to get a good curl and straightness.

mirrormirror

"flat" and "straightening" means the same thing, just that "straightening" is the modern term now used instead of flat. I bought the jilbere ceramic iron over the weekend and returned it yesterday caue I felt so guilty, I really dont want to have a flat iron in my presencse, thats why I threw out my old one in the trash years ago.

Titansgirl

Hi Crysdon, I bought the jilbere ceramic hot curlers last week from Sallys for $27.00. I put my setting on 6 for me. My hair came out very straight and smooth. I put the setting on 4 for my sister. Her hair is very thin. I originally bought the small one, but I took it back yesterday and bought the 1" size. I was going to buy the flat iron, but I have never used one before, and I'm not sure if it really makes a difference???

Crysdon

Thanks hairfanatic.

I bought the 1 1/4 inch yesterday. I haven't mastered the flat iron yet, so that's why I got the curling iron. I guess I'll have to use it sparingly since the material is prone to wear off.

Crysdon

Thanks for your response. I was eyeing the flat iron also, but I just can't use those things too well and they also make my hair look "too flat" for my taste.

beana3

exactly how does flat ironed hair look??? Does it still swing and does it look like fresh relaxer straight?? I'm wondering because I have this underprocessed mess in the middle of some of my strands and the roots will be straight and so will the ends but the middle will always look frizy. With this make it all uniform?

Ennyaa

I have the 2" flat (straightening) iron and I love it. In general the ceramic is supposed to be a lot less damaging than the regular curling and flat irons. Something to do with hot spots and not scorching the hair I believe.

My hair is 4a with a texturizer and the ends are relaxed. Now I have forced myself only to use the iron once a month but when I do I wash my hair and let it airdry in twists over night. The next day when I use the iron it gets my roots (I'm 8 weeks since my last touch up) and texturized hair JUST as straight as the relaxed hair. When I do my hair I usually flip the ends up (think Mary J) and I think it looks just peachy!
It is bouncy depending on how much WGO I used on my hair before ironing.

Now of course if it rains or is very humid the hair won't STAY ultra straight but I have to admit it still didn't revert back the whole way and I was outside in drizzle and everything. Hope this helps.

Ennyaa

I pull the hair really taut to get as close as possible. Let's just say a few times I felt the heat. Got a little TOO close. lol

Faith

Ennyaa,

Do you think you get as close as a 1" iron would? And also did you have to part them small to ensure you got closer to your scalp. Thanks Again.

Ennyaa

Ok sitting here reading your post I think I made a mistake. Whatever the smallest iron is that's the one that I have.
Maybe it is 1"?! I thought it was 2. I'm such a retard.

Anywayz I do go in small sections to make sure that each one I get as close to the root as I can. Since I'm usually between 4 and 12 weeks between texturizers when I do it my roots are always pretty kinky when I use the iron.

Allandra

Boadicea,

Here's a picture of the one that I have. It's 1" wide and 3.5" long. Is this the one that your ordered?

Boadicea

Yes, that's the one! I want to get as close to the new growth as I can. I don't plan on using it that often, but I need a break from this ponytail from time to time.

I just wish the 1" one was as cheap as the $15 2 1/4" one

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Boadicea said:
Yes, that's the one! I want to get as close to the new growth as I can. I don't plan on using it that often, but I need a break from this ponytail from time to time.

I just wish the 1" one was as cheap as the $15 2 1/4" one

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, that is a big difference in price. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Please let us know after you've received it and used it.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Boadicea said:
I ordered it yesterday and they say it will be delivered today
pretty fast

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow!

Boadicea

Okay, It came today and I ripped it out of the box and tried it out a.s.a.p.! I didn't want bone straight hair (I can't stand stick straight hair on me. looks funny) so I just took it through each section with one stroke. I don't know what setting it was on, but it gets hot quickly and got close enough to the new growth to straighten it.

Let me tell you, it slid through my hair like butter. It made it so silky and shiny. I had my mom do it for me and she couldn't stop talking about how smooth it made my hair in no time flat. Now she wants one of her own!

Here are some Before and After pics: Click here

Due to trolls, I will not put my face in future pictures. You'll know it's me because I'll be standing in front of my Hiragana/Katakana poster and you'll prolly see one or two of my cats on the bed. Also, you'll note the room is always the same. I don't want another Longhairdiva incident.

Allandra

Now that was some fast delivery service.
BTW, where did you order it from? I'm glad you like it too. Thanks for posting the pics.

Crysdon

Wow Boadicea,

That's some serious straightening, the ceramic iron did a good job on your hair. You only had to go through the section once? I can't wait til tomorrow when I try my Jilbere curling iron for the first time.

I understand about the trolls
. I should have posted pics after my last touch up (April 4), but due to the troll incident, I have to do retakes without my face showing.

Boadicea

No problem.
I just may try out the curling iron, too. I might buy it for when I go on vacation in July.

When you use it, remember not to take it over the very ends of your hair because it might tug. Bring it down as far as your can and when you get to the end, un-clamp a the iron a little so you're not holding it as tight.

G

Is it true you should only use a flat iron on the un-relaxed portion of hair??? or can you use it on relaxed hair as well?

Boadicea

You can use it on both relaxed and natural hair. I have 22 inches of relaxed hair and 2 inches of natural hair and I took it from roots to ends with no problem.

G

oh ok thank you

btw i just saw your pics, your hair look so shiny and healthy!