Jess a.k.a Mahogany Curls responds to Curlynikki drama

oneastrocurlie

Shea moisture hired a black ambassador to "go white"? Black and white people have been using their stuff. Call me optimistic but I don't see a" white washed" Shea moisture anytime soon. Did you see how much they were all over the Essence Festival? They should've just co sponsored it.

Ogoma

I thought Shea Moisture is black owned. Did something change? Why is everyone in that picture white?

*Frisky*

Shea moisture hired a black ambassador to "go white"? Black and white people have been using their stuff. Call me optimistic but I don't see a" white washed" Shea moisture anytime soon. Did you see how much they were all over the Essence Festival? They should've just co sponsored it.

Yea their products usually are in the ethnic hair section at the store unless that has changed. That aisle probably doesn't see traffic from white customers. Oddly a few months ago my coworker gave me a bottle of one of the shampoos saying how it didn't work for her hair. I was kinda shocked she even had it. I wish I had of asked her where she got it from:lol:

oneastrocurlie

Yea their products usually are in the ethnic hair section at the store unless that has changed. That aisle probably doesn't see traffic from white customers. Oddly a few months ago my coworker gave me a bottle of one of the shampoos saying how it didn't work for her hair. I was kinda shocked she even had it. I wish I had of asked her where she got it from:lol:

Well the white folk giving there product praises must be getting from Target.com or something lol.

Ogoma

They have their body products in the regular aisle so don't know why the hair stuff needs to be segregated. I have never understood why brands like Shea Moisture and Oyin are not placed with other organic/natural brands like Desert a Essence Hugo Naturals etc. Isn't that where they should be? I wonder why Target has never been called on having an "Ethnic" aisle.

Muse

They have always been two separate lines.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

Yes this is correct. They never changed the Nubian Heritage name they just created the Shea Moisture line in addition to attract others. But it looks like they are abandoning the Nubian Heritage hair line. Which is too bad because it's good quality stuff IMHO. I believe the owner of both lines is still black but whenever I see pics of the staff under him they're all white.:sad:
I get expansion of a business and trying to corner other markets. I guess Pantene did it with their trashy (use to think it was all that back in the day-didn't know any better) Relaxed and Natural line "for women of color" but Pantene stayed true to their original white line and until this day keeps expanding it. I don't even know if they still sell R&N anymore.
If Nubian Heritage wants to create a crossover line to make a buck that's fine but why does it have to overshadow the original black line. Then what will happen is WW will complain that Shea Moisture makes their hair too oily or "greasy" and next thing you know formulation change and now it makes our hair too dry! But we'll just have to deal because Becky is happy now.:rolleyes:

Muse

They have their body products in the regular aisle so don't know why the hair stuff needs to be segregated. I have never understood why brands like Shea Moisture and Oyin are not placed with other organic/natural brands like Desert a Essence Hugo Naturals etc. Isn't that where they should be? I wonder why Target has never been called on having an "Ethnic" aisle.

Yeah I noticed that too.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

As far as Shea Moisture going white I kinda saw it coming when Nubian Heritage broke off into Shea Moisture to attract a "broader audience". Now NH has disappeared from many store shelves. They said they weren't abandoning that (hair) line but IDK. I guess that name was too black.:ohwell:

According to their FB page the 2 guys below are the face of Nubian Heritage.:nono: I can't imagine going up to the table and asking ANY of them about those products.

Pictured (l to r): Marin Giuliano, Executive Global Coordinator of Whole Body, Rich Ionnone of Nubian Heritage, Lizanne Falsetto, Founder and CEO of @thinkThin, and Sean Hall of Nubian Heritage

Great comments in this thread though!
Complete turnover?

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Interesting

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

I knew it!!!!

I knew it

I knew it

I knew it!!!

And that's all

But I knew it!!! What black owned line do we know us mass producing in this fashion?? They went from 0 to 100 in thirty days!!!

(exaggerated for emphasis) damn world who is left?

I kinds think one of LHCF ' s all time fave on the vendors section is/has making some "changes" as well

Shea Moisture.... Which is still black owned.

ETA: I never seen Nubian Heritage in mass quantities so maybe I'm missing how they are over shadowing SM.

Last edited:

Muse

Shea Moisture.... Which is still black owned.

ETA: I never seen Nubian Heritage in mass quantities so maybe I'm missing how they are over shadowing SM.

It got pretty big at Target, Walgreens, and CVS a few years back. Then suddenly they went on clearance and *poof*. You may be able to find a few dusty bottles here or there. On their FB page people were telling them they really wanted to try them but couldn't find the products locally anymore. I don't feel like they ever properly address the lack of supply so I kinda feel like it's just going to kind of fade away.

Subscribe

Richelieu and Nyema were born in Liberia, but fled civil war after most of their families’ possessions were destroyed. They both immigrated to the United States, but the situation was not much brighter, as they suddenly found themselves without resources or employment.

Remembering his roots and deep family tradition, Richelieu realized his vision was to offer culturally authentic, high-quality skin care products for underserved communities. In 1992, Richelieu and Nyema began to sell their shea butter soaps that had been passed down to them by family through the generations along the sidewalks of Harlem. Their routine was to make the soaps and shea butters in the wee hours of each morning, load them up into a rickety van, set up the products on tables on the street at sunrise, and sell until the sun went down.

By the second year, their hard work came to fruition when they formed Sundial Creations and Nubian Heritage, with Richelieu acting as Founder and CEO, and Nyema, as President and COO. The company has grown and bloomed, and now Nubian Heritage products are sold all over the world.

Sundial Creations makes SM!!!!!!

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Vendors on the skreets still sell the old Nubian Heritage soaps and things.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

oneastrocurlie

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I follow Nubian Heritage and Sheamoisture on Instagram.

I dont think they are getting rid of NH because they are coming out with new products left and right. It seems SM is the more popular one so that website went up first but NH should be getting a website as well.

You can even call Sundial yourself and order older products. I do , for the SM leave in conditioner. All products that I get from the BSS are still being made with updated lot numbers, expiration dates , etc...

Muse

Right. I've never seen anything say otherwise. If you Google owner of Shea moisture, the first thing it says is that sundial is a family run company and Richelieu Dennis is the founder and CEO.

If it isn't black owned, they are hiding that white man extremely well.

The bolded was my understanding as well. That a black man is at the very top but as you move down the pyramid I always see a bunch of whites.

Muse

I follow Nubian Heritage and Sheamoisture on Instagram.

I dont think they are getting rid of NH because they are coming out with new products left and right. It seems SM is the more popular one so that website went up first but NH should be getting a website as well.

You can even call Sundial yourself and order older products. I do , for the SM leave in conditioner. All products that I get from the BSS are still being made with updated lot numbers, expiration dates , etc...

Are these new body or hair products? I do see the body products (lotions, soaps, bodywashes, etc.) at a bunch of different places I think that will stay strong but I was speaking of the NH hair products specifically.

Ok, sorry I'm getting off the topic of this thread. I'll shut up about it.:lol:

Nayna

Unbothered
I met the owners of Shea Moisture when they had the pop up salon at Bryant Park in 2012 (I was a stylist). They were black and friendly. One of em had black kids and as far as I could tell their mother was black too. I'm not sure of the other ones relationship status. They do have employees of different ethnic backgrounds. I've met blacks and whites, Mostly blacks but these were the ones visiting the store, I can't really say how their offices look. I know one of their beauty/brand ambassadors and she's black. From what I've seen personally they are diverse mainly because they also sell body products. At the pop up store they didn't go hard selling the hair products to white people, they mostly pushed the body products. I saw white folks showing some interest in hair products but when they see shea butter and oils they usually run, lol. They were definitely into the lotions, and body scrubs, etc...

Subscribe

But how do you know this? Do you have a picture of the owner confirming it is indeed an old greedy white man? Lol.

Go to Sundial Facebook page. Also Google Sundial and Shea Moisture in the same search.

Sundial is the parent company, who is owned by....

Subscribe

This is what I'm going off of. Sundial is the parent company.

By the second year, their hard work came to fruition when they formed Sundial Creations and Nubian Heritage, with Richelieu acting as Founder and CEO, and Nyema, as President and COO. The company has grown and bloomed, and now Nubian Heritage products are sold all over the world.

Sundial Creations makes SM!!!!!![/QUOTE]