Jess a.k.a Mahogany Curls responds to Curlynikki drama

Kurlee

Channy31

Technically, my father would be considered "mixed". His mom is Jamaican and his dad was a white southerner. But he identifies as black. He's my complexion with 3Bish curls. Alot of people thought he was just a black man with "good hair" until he balded himself in the early 90's.

I said all of that to say this.....I'm a black woman with white blood and I still don't think they(Whites) have a placed in the natural community. It sounds harsh and maybe it is, but I don't care. We need our own outlet/domain. This is OURS and needs to stay that way.

So in essence, you're more then welcome......sista':).

:yep::yep::yep: all of this.

Kurlee

Channy31 You have a great attitude, because the shade was a bit thick. I apologize if I came off kinda rude, I think i'm just so tired of the nonsense that keeps historically repeating itself. It's like watching a dog chase its tail.

Ogoma

In the curltalk, some of the white women were trying the change the focus. The were commenting on how not wanting WW in the natural hair movement made them feel so sad for their biracial nieces/nephews/friends real and imagined.

First of all, how does not wanting WW translate into anything to do with biracials? One really great things about whites is their consistency when it comes to racism. They consistently reach for the same play book. Divide, conquer, and distract is their top tools. Throw someone in-between and stir up conflict so we can take our eyes off them and starting bickering our way to the bottom has been a tired and true tactic.

Secondly, the nerve of white people to lecture black people on accepting biracials. We do it in a way no other race every has or will. If they are so concerned about biracials, they can start with their community. A biracial person won't even dare walk up to the door of an Elizabeth Taylor audition, but will come in, sit down, and expect to win the role of Miriam Makeba. I am annoyed the thread is locked.

Kurlee

In the curltalk, some of the white women were trying the change the focus. The were commenting on how not wanting WW in the natural hair movement made them feel so sad for their biracial nieces/nephews/friends real and imagined.

First of all, how does not wanting WW translate into anything to do with biracials? One really great things about whites is their consistency when it comes to racism. They consistently reach for the same play book. Divide, conquer, and distract is their top tools. Throw someone in-between and stir up conflict so we can take our eyes off them and starting bickering our way to the bottom has been a tired and true tactic.

Secondly, the nerve of white people to lecture black people on accepting biracials. We do it in a way no other race every has or will. If they are so concerned about biracials, they can start with their community. A biracial person won't even dare walk up to the door of an Elizabeth Taylor audition, but will come in, sit down, and expect to win the role of Miriam Makeba. I am annoyed the thread is locked.
:yep::yep::yep: yup. And remember, we live in a post-racial world. Race is not an issue. We can sit in restaurants now!

Mz.MoMo5235

Channy31

When I refer to "passing" I meant you're not a biracial person who could pass for 100% white. Its obvious you're mixed so its obvious to us that you belong with us.

When I said you're "stuck" with us, that was my poor attempt to make light of things as it can get serious in here sometimes.

werenumber2

Girl, you're better than me! I tried to hang over in Napptrality, but they were a little to militant for me. It's a good website and I still dip in occassionally to see what's up, but they made me feel like I was out of line if I ever brought up type 3 hair. Like I purposely chose what grows out of my head. After being snapped at a few times, I resigned myself to lurking over there.

Ooh now see I saved topics about my own hair for NaturallyCurly. :yep: I wasn't trying to get e-stabbed with some Afro picks over at NP. :lol:

Sure it was kind of a bummer, but I had to remind myself that there were more resources on the Internet for type 2 and 3 hair back in those days than for kinks, napps, and coils. They were "allowing" me access to their natural hair haven, so I tried my best to stay in my lane.

LdyKamz

This pisses me off so bad. Suddenly when it's regarding this topic biracials=white? In every other area of life they are considered one of us. How stupid is that? This should be a non issue. Where did you read this Ogoma Do I even want to go over there and take a look and make myself more upset?

Eta: I put curl talk in google and the NC site came up. No thanks. Not going to look. :lol:

greenandchic

I remember discovering NC as a wee lass and absolutely loving it. I was surrounded by members whose hair looked like mine - women who taught me that shrinkage was a very real thing and not some strange phenomenon that only affected me. I entered the fabulously awful world of PJ-ism :)lol:) and was introduced to hair products, some of which I still use to this very day (if they haven't been discontinued :ohwell:).

However, when I wanted some hair advice for my type 4 black girlfriends who were constantly struggling with their damaged, relaxed tresses, I knew NC (back in those days anyway) wasn't the place to get that information. That's when I broke out the big guns and joined Nappturality. I remember practically shaking in my boots as I made my first post and sheepishly asked if "my kind" was welcome there and explained my stance on wanting to help my friends discover the potential of their beautiful, healthy natural hair.

They basically laid it all out (as only NP members could do) and said that as long as I didn't regale them with curly-haired tales of "ugh it's SO annoying when people say I have good or pretty hair harrumph harrumph", I could hang. I ended up having a blast and learning so much from my "C-Napp" sistren.

That's also where I first heard about you lovely creamy-crack addicted, flaming hot tool of torture-using LHCF heathens. :grin:

:lachen::lachen: This took me back. I left NP back in 2003 when the shade started to get too thick.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Ooh now see I saved topics about my own hair for NaturallyCurly. :yep: I wasn't trying to get e-stabbed with some Afro picks over at NP. :lol:

Sure it was kind of a bummer, but I had to remind myself that there were more resources on the Internet for type 2 and 3 hair back in those days than for kinks, napps, and coils. They were "allowing" me access to their natural hair haven, so I tried my best to stay in my lane.

This made me laugh out loud for real! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Them pik welding sisters are no joke! They had me dipping and dodging! :lol:

pattyr5

OK, let me start some mess in here.

1) The MAJORITY of people on this earth are of African decent.
2) Too many people of color act like African Americans are the only ones that are considered black.
3) Many African Americans will not consider others black if their great grand daddy wasn't working on some plantation in South Carolina.
4) White people still call the mixed or biracial people black straight out in your face or behind your back.
5) You *may* get a pass from white people if you are biracial and look white enough ie, finer features, silkier hair; but they are still calling you black.
6) The African Slave trade wasn't a direct line cruise ship from Africa to America....it went to Haiti, DR, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Panama etc. So if you are from those places, as I am, then sorry to break the news...but you are BLACK. And black people from wherever need to start owning that. Calling yourself something else ain't gonna make you something else...that AFRICANO is in you and reveals himself all the time.

I had to bounce around to different groups because of all of the disharmony and division. I encountered many *people of color* who weren't calling themselves black and were feeling excluded from the natural movement because their hair was less coarse or less kinky or had the looser curl patterns. Some 4xyz people are mad at that and think the other hair textures or curl types did not have issues or did not *have it so bad*. So you got all these black people saying well later for y'all and go linking up with the white chicks. All the division is exactly what the white supremacy system wants. If the blacks can't unite on any level then they (whites) never have to fear being over thrown and losing their power.

I'm not hating on no white people with my thoughts or feelings when I say...they need to stay in their lane. That girl Water Lily has nice curls and all, but she had no business thinking that she was like those previously featured on Curly Nikki. And like so many before her, Nikki simply sold out. Call it business, call it whatever but damn near all the bloggers that threw their hat in on the subject, sold out too. White people have plenty of magazines, websites, groups and the like to discuss their hair woes. In my not so humble opinion, it was a calculated move. Their is an unprecedented movement in the hair care industry where black business is edging out white corporate conglomerates...you better believe they don't like it. They don't want to fight small black companies for shelf space. So you get white people in the mix with the " a curl is a curl" mantra and all the "hair is hair" sayings and soon everyone will be buying all the Loreal and Alberto Culver products again the way they want it.

if the bloggers want to be inclusive with white women, then let them but we BLACK people should unite and leave them behind and let them learn how much white women are willing to support them. This kind of crap will go on and on and on until ALL blacks stand together on the principle that blacks need to own and have something of our own. When we are a strong united front, then at that point anybody else can be let in, but for now black MUST COME FIRST!!!!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
OK, let me start some mess in here.

1) The MAJORITY of people on this earth are of African decent.
2) Too many people of color act like African Americans are the only ones that are considered black.
3) Many African Americans will not consider others black if their great grand daddy wasn't working on some plantation in South Carolina.
4) White people still call the mixed or biracial people black straight out in your face or behind your back.
5) You *may* get a pass from white people if you are biracial and look white enough ie, finer features, silkier hair; but they are still calling you black.
6) The African Slave trade wasn't a direct line cruise ship from Africa to America....it went to Haiti, DR, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Panama etc. So if you are from those places, as I am, then sorry to break the news...but you are BLACK. And black people from wherever need to start owning that. Calling yourself something else ain't gonna make you something else...that AFRICANO is in you and reveals himself all the time.

I had to bounce around to different groups because of all of the disharmony and division. I encountered many *people of color* who weren't calling themselves black and were feeling excluded from the natural movement because their hair was less coarse or less kinky or had the looser curl patterns. Some 4xyz people are mad at that and think the other hair textures or curl types did not have issues or did not *have it so bad*. So you got all these black people saying well later for y'all and go linking up with the white chicks. All the division is exactly what the white supremacy system wants. If the blacks can't unite on any level then they (whites) never have to fear being over thrown and losing their power.

I'm not hating on no white people with my thoughts or feelings when I say...they need to stay in their lane. That girl Water Lily has nice curls and all, but she had no business thinking that she was like those previously featured on Curly Nikki. And like so many before her, Nikki simply sold out. Call it business, call it whatever but damn near all the bloggers that threw their hat in on the subject, sold out too. White people have plenty of magazines, websites, groups and the like to discuss their hair woes. In my not so humble opinion, it was a calculated move. Their is an unprecedented movement in the hair care industry where black business is edging out white corporate conglomerates...you better believe they don't like it. They don't want to fight small black companies for shelf space. So you get white people in the mix with the " a curl is a curl" mantra and all the "hair is hair" sayings and soon everyone will be buying all the Loreal and Alberto Culver products again the way they want it.

if the bloggers want to be inclusive with white women, then let them but we BLACK people should unite and leave them behind and let them learn how much white women are willing to support them. This kind of crap will go on and on and on until ALL blacks stand together on the principle that blacks need to own and have something of our own. When we are a strong united front, then at that point anybody else can be let in, but for now black MUST COME FIRST!!!!

Yes!!! Tell it!!! Our business should stay within the black community. All my future purchases will be Black!

I did not understand before, but I have been educated now!

Honey Bee

Psssst. :sekret: If this whole thing riled you up, come join us in taking action.

Find us over here... and then follow the breadcrumbs. :sekret:

Ari8

So, out of interest, what do you guys think of me being in the natural hair movement?
Considering I'm mixed race?

The reason I ask is because where is the line here?

(I'm just interested and won't argue with you if you reply :) )

I don't see why a self-identified mixed-race woman should have access to a so-called* movement intended for Black woman any more than a self-identified white woman should.

But, of course, Black/African American women will come up with 10,000 reasons to justify giving up their space to yet another group of outsiders while simultaneously condemning other Black women for doing the same thing. (You see, we're all mixed, Black genes are ubiquitous and dominate all, and mulattoes really are Black but simply refuse to accept it because of 'White supremacy.')

*I've returned to my old view that the natural hair 'movement' is hogwash. This whole fiasco (and many Black women's response to it) basically laid that out clear as day.

pattyr5

Yes!!! Tell it!!! Our business should stay within the black community. All my future purchases will be Black!

I did not understand before, but I have been educated now!

I'm happy that people are understanding...some never will and will continue thinking it's about racism our separatism and that saddens me. When people take a look at all other groups you will find that they always self support FIRST. I can't hate on them for doing it, we should just do the same.

FelaShrine

II'd imagine she has to portray a certain image now with the Shea Moistures thing.

then why be mad at her. people gotta eat

OP seems like you're just going around looking for black women for people to bash cos you disagree with them with all these threads.

how's your hair? or is life just about cn and others now

Muse

As far as Shea Moisture going white I kinda saw it coming when Nubian Heritage broke off into Shea Moisture to attract a "broader audience". Now NH has disappeared from many store shelves. They said they weren't abandoning that (hair) line but IDK. I guess that name was too black.:ohwell:

According to their FB page the 2 guys below are the face of Nubian Heritage.:nono: I can't imagine going up to the table and asking ANY of them about those products.

Pictured (l to r): Marin Giuliano, Executive Global Coordinator of Whole Body, Rich Ionnone of Nubian Heritage, Lizanne Falsetto, Founder and CEO of @thinkThin, and Sean Hall of Nubian Heritage

Great comments in this thread though!

Last edited:

Femmefatal1981

As far as Shea Moisture going white I kinda saw it coming when Nubian Heritage broke off into Shea Moisture to attract a "broader audience". Now NH has disappeared from many store shelves. They said they weren't abandoning that (hair) line but IDK. I guess that name was too black.:ohwell: According to their FB page the 2 guys below are the face of Nubian Heritage.:nono: I can't imagine going up to the table and asking ANY of them about those products. Pictured (l to r): Marin Giuliano, Executive Global Coordinator of Whole Body, Rich Ionnone of Nubian Heritage, Lizanne Falsetto, Founder and CEO of @thinkThin, and Sean Hall of Nubian Heritage Great comments in this thread though!

Awe hell nawl