Itchy Scalp Revelation- Maybe this will help someone else

Platinum

I have an issue with this as well. My hair is VERY thick and dense, especially now that I'm transitioning. So I would use what felt like gallons of shampoo and just end up with an unclean scalp and dried out hair as a result.

I starting putting my mint shampoo in a color applicator bottle, and adding lemon juice (which is a natural astringent and breaks down buildup). Now I get the shampoo exactly where it needs to be - scrub it in, put conditioner on the lower 2/3 of my hair and put on a cap for the rest of my shower. When I rinse, the more astringent shampoo doesn't affect my hair b/c the conditioner acts as a barrier -- it's made a huge improvement for me!

Interesting...I might try this today. I usually cleanse my scalp with a baking soda and water solution. I'm wearing Senegalese Twists right now and I have a some buildup on my scalp. (I guess from being a little over zealous with the growth aids)

Aggie

Thanks for sharing GF. I just recently started using more and more pH balanced hair products myself not becuase I have any scalp issues, but because I do believe that they are better for my scalp and hair:yep:. Like you, I don't intend to get rid of my existing poos, I'll just use them up alternating with pH controlled products.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Thanks Gymfreak! I'm going to try this to see if it helps with my itchies. :yep:

I have a question though... how do you tell if your itch is build-up related or a reaction to something in a product? For instance, I love how CON makes my hair feel but I itch so bad after washing.... and this is true with 50% of shampoos/conditioners I've used. There are even some leave-ins that make my scalp itch/burn. :( It's more manageable now but there's always room for improvement.

LaidBak

Thanks Gymfreak! I'm going to try this to see if it helps with my itchies. :yep:

I have a question though... how do you tell if your itch is build-up related or a reaction to something in a product? For instance, I love how CON makes my hair feel but I itch so bad after washing.... and this is true with 50% of shampoos/conditioners I've used. There are even some leave-ins that make my scalp itch/burn. :( It's more manageable now but there's always room for improvement.

I've read in various threads how CoN causes significant buildup. I am using one of their conditioners now and I can tell that I am going to have to clarify the next time I wash.

me-T

As an aside (I know I've said this to Gymfreak before) I frequent LHC a lot, and I have to say that we do learn a lot on this board and there is a wealth of info on this forum, but a lot of issues we experience would be eradicated if we simply did more research into the actual basics of haircare (and the basics of starting regimens), and TRUE purpose and function behind the products we use and what we really need our products to do for us rather than just doing something because so-and-so uses it. Not knowing why that person uses it is dangerous, IMO and IME.

:clapping:Newbie Rule #1!!

sharifeh

Shar: It is a Clarifying Shampoo. "Gently Removes Chemical Build Up, Chlorine, Hard Water Minerals and Styling Buildup."

oh thanks!!
i just thought that if it removed the hard water minerals then it was chelating too
what's an example of a chelating shampoo then?