Itchy Scalp Revelation- Maybe this will help someone else

gymfreak336

For years I have had an itchy scalp. I never had huge flakes but my head would always itch and I would get small flakes in certain areas of my scalp. I just figured I had mild dandruff and started finding ways to cope with it.

I started using Head and shoulders for dry scalp and with constient use of it and similar products, I had it under control for the most part.

Recently, I started to have a flare up of it again. I would wash my hair and the very same day, I would see flakes. Like if I ran a comb lightly over my scalp, I would see flakage. Fustrated and Confused I would just rewash 2 days later. I just figured that I would be washing every 2-3 days forever so ohwell. :ohwell:

Well, after sharing my problems with another Member here, Artemis, she started helping me look for different products to treat my problem. While researching different options online, she gathered more and more info from me about my problem. She proposed a very different possiblity and read an excerpt out of Lisa Akbari's book. Lisa Akbari proposed that many ladies who think they have mild dandruff really suffer from negative build-up. Basically over time, if you keep using shampoo's that are not really cleansing your hair, your scalp collects a build up of product residue and just junk. Her solution involves washing your hair in a different way, spending more time rinsing hair before washing and using the pressure of the water to exfoilate the itchy parts of your scalp, and using a pH balanced shampoo (4.5-5.5) shampoo, concentrating the lather on your scalp and letting the suds sit for a couple of mintues to help chip away at this negative buildup.

I have always used CON and other nice conditioning shampoo's to shampoo with. I decided to give her method a go so last night I tried it out.

I used a shower attachment so I could really use the water pressure on my scalp. I used medium -hot water as directed and :wow:.. My scalp was dancing :happydance: I then lathered once with ORS uplifting shampoo, really using my fingertips to scrub my scalp. I wasn't rough but I did make sure I was really scrubbing it. I then used Elasta QP shampoo for relaxed hair (pH 4.5-5.5) and did it again. At this point in time I noticed that my hair felt a little harder than it usually does with CON but I only had 1 shed hair in tub. I rinsed it out and followed it again with ORS shampoo.

Now, even though I lathered 3 times with shampoo's that I do consider less conditioning than CON I only had 1 hair come out of my head. My scalp felt clean and it was like my scalp was gasping for air. I don't know how to describe it but it felt 5 lbs lighter. I condtioned with Kenra moisturizing conditioner, roller sat my hair and sat under a dryer. My hair still felt just as soft and smooth as it does with CON and similar shampoo's but scalp still felt calm and relaxed. I didn't shed one hair while roller setting my hair either. I was afraid that my hair would end up a crispy fried mess but it didn't at ALL.

Now the real test came today. Usually a day after washing, my scalp would start itching and what not but today......NOT ONE ITCH! My hair feels soft and not dried out at all.

Now, I still have my CON and I don't intend on not ever using it again but I wanted to share my story to bring attention to alternate possiblities for scalp issues. I think over time, using really conditioning shampoo's FOR SOME PEOPLE can cause problems. I also want to add that I am not saying go get some suave shampoo or vo5 shampoo and call it a day. Look for shampoo's that have a pH of 4.5-5.5. My theory for my own head is that the very conditioning shampoo caused the negative buildup on my scalp and caused my hair to shed more from being weighed down at the root, right at my scalp.
Lisa recommends washing like this every 3 days for 7 weeks to help correct scalp damage. I am going to follow this regime for the next 7 weeks to see if I see lasting improvement in my scalp.

I know this is not going to work for everyone but I wanted to share to see if it sets off any :thought: lightbulbs for anyone else. Lisa Akbari has a book so for more details take a peek at the next time you at a book store. You can also visit her website. I have never been really big on alot of "hair experts" advice but much of what she says makes logical sense. She has her own line of products but she still gives you the tools you need to make your own educated product choices.

locabouthair

thanks for sharing gymfreak.

do you think that clarifying shampoos are ineffective at removing buildup at the scalp?

gymfreak336

do you think that clarifying shampoos are ineffective at removing buildup at the scalp?

I don't think so. I clarify on a regular basis. I think the thing is like lets say you clarify once a month. If you wash your hair 2x a week that is 7-8 washes work of build-up on your scalp that you are dealing with. One clarifying wash isn't going to fix that. I am assuming that the shampoo you are usually using it leaving buildup in my hypothetical situation. I didn't think mine was because I didn't get any other symptoms of product build up but I do think that many women are having this problem and just don't know it.

asubeauty

Thanks, gymfreak! I might try this because I have a huge problem with itchiness and flakes and I do put conditioner on my scalp to condition the new growth.

I think I'm going to try this. I have ORS uplifting shampoo

gymfreak336

Gym, What about baking soda?
Is that not as good?
Should it be done more often?

I think baking soda works pretty well as a clarifier. I think if you use it and you are having scalp issues than you might want to up the frequency of it. This negative buildup happens over time which is why even though my head feels alot better, I know I will need to complete the whole 7 week thing to see more improvements.

gymfreak336

Thanks, gymfreak! I might try this because I have a huge problem with itchiness and flakes and I do put conditioner on my scalp to condition the new growth.

I think I'm going to try this. I have ORS uplifting shampoo

Try it! If you do a google search for Lisa Akbari you will actually see a link to this site about her washing technique in the archives. Also, on her site, she has a link to her forum in which people has asked questions that she has answered. Peek in there at the itchy scalp threads for even more info.

IntoMyhair

I think baking soda works pretty well as a clarifier. I think if you use it and you are having scalp issues than you might want to up the frequency of it. This negative buildup happens over time which is why even though my head feels alot better, I know I will need to complete the whole 7 week thing to see more improvements.

Ok thanks!

I will use this until i can pick up the bottles you mentioned .

gymfreak336

Ok thanks!

I will use this until i can pick up the bottles you mentioned .

Try the elasta shampoo since they have the ph listed on the bottles and are like 2 bucks at sallys. I also wanted to add that you don't have to lather 3 times. I just did that because the ORS tingles and feels soooo good.

IntoMyhair

Try the elasta shampoo since they have the ph listed on the bottles and are like 2 bucks at sallys. I also wanted to add that you don't have to lather 3 times. I just did that because the ORS tingles and feels soooo good.

Ok thanks I will pick up this instead.

Artemis

Hey y'all. I just want to jump in here for a second.

First off, please keep in mind that each hair product has a purpose. Once we learn and understand the function behind each product we own, we can move forward in making better decisions in regards to our hair...

Now. Clarifying shampoo is meant to eliminate product buildup from the hair, and for the most part, the scalp gets clean too, but proper (regular) shampooing with the appropriate shampoo for you will get the scalp clean. It's the method of your shampooing that gets the scalp clean not just the products. And we all know that chelating shampoos are more inclusive than the clarifying shampoos, right? (I hope so.) Chelating products remove product buildup, chlorine, calcium, and medication deposits from the hair, so they are more thorough. So, really these products aren't meant for frequent use unless you have a specific need for them (like you use heavy styling products daily or you have hard water).

So ideally, regular shampooing will get your scalp clean if you do it correctly. No need to go out and buy all new stuff unless you have an extremely coating conditioning shampoo, in which case, just swing by wal-mart and spend a few bucks on like Tresemme or something till you get your bearings.

As an aside (I know I've said this to Gymfreak before) I frequent LHC a lot, and I have to say that we do learn a lot on this board and there is a wealth of info on this forum, but a lot of issues we experience would be eradicated if we simply did more research into the actual basics of haircare (and the basics of starting regimens), and TRUE purpose and function behind the products we use and what we really need our products to do for us rather than just doing something because so-and-so uses it. Not knowing why that person uses it is dangerous, IMO and IME.

These are things that came up when I bought Lisa's book years ago as a natural head. I had that itchy situation that Gym described, and I thought at first it was b/c of relaxers. Then when I went natural and I still had the same issue, I knew something was up. In the end the reason wasn't a disease or a disorder, but simply the way I washed my hair. Something to think a/b...

Ok. Back to our regularly scheduled programming :lol:

Yeah I had this problem a few weeks ago and after talking to people on the board I realized it was probably build up from CON and other cone containing products. This is why I now clarify EVERY other week...I strip it 2x and then start putting moisture back in....works like a charm....haven't had a flake since...:grin: and I'm certain it was buildup because I've never had a problem with dandruff before I started using these products....good post!

gymfreak336

Hey y'all. I just want to jump in here for a second.

First off, please keep in mind that each hair product has a purpose. Once we learn and understand the function behind each product we own, we can move forward in making better decisions in regards to our hair...

Now. Clarifying shampoo is meant to eliminate product buildup from the hair, and for the most part, the scalp gets clean too, but proper (regular) shampooing with the appropriate shampoo for you will get the scalp clean. It's the method of your shampooing that gets the scalp clean not just the products. And we all know that chelating shampoos are more inclusive than the clarifying shampoos, right? (I hope so.) Chelating products remove product buildup, chlorine, calcium, and medication deposits from the hair, so they are more thorough. So, really these products aren't meant for frequent use unless you have a specific need for them (like you use heavy styling products daily or you have hard water).

So ideally, regular shampooing will get your scalp clean if you do it correctly. No need to go out and buy all new stuff unless you have an extremely coating conditioning shampoo, in which case, just swing by wal-mart and spend a few bucks on like Tresemme or something till you get your bearings.

As an aside (I know I've said this to Gymfreak before) I frequent LHC a lot, and I have to say that we do learn a lot on this board and there is a wealth of info on this forum, but a lot of issues we experience would be eradicated if we simply did more research into the actual basics of haircare (and the basics of starting regimens), and TRUE purpose and function behind the products we use and what we really need our products to do for us rather than just doing something because so-and-so uses it. Not knowing why that person uses it is dangerous, IMO and IME.

These are things that came up when I bought Lisa's book years ago as a natural head. I had that itchy situation that Gym described, and I thought at first it was b/c of relaxers. Then when I went natural and I still had the same issue, I knew something was up. In the end the reason wasn't a disease or a disorder, but simply the way I washed my hair. Something to think a/b...

Ok. Back to our regularly scheduled programming :lol:

ITA To the bolded. As I got back and reevaluate many of my problems and sources of past set backs, this rings more and more true.

Artemis

Yeah I had this problem a few weeks ago and after talking to people on the board I realized it was probably build up from CON and other cone containing products. This is why I now clarify EVERY other week...I strip it 2x and then start putting moisture back in....works like a charm....haven't had a flake since...:grin: and I'm certain it was buildup because I've never had a problem with dandruff before I started using these products....good post!

Ok, this doesn't really solve it though. I mean, yeah, no flakes, but what a/b your hair? When you strip your hair of positive and negative buildup and then replace it with artificial positive build up, it's not quite as strong and healthy as it can be. If you just work on removing the negative build up and keeping the natural nutrients the hair had already, you hair goes into a deep condition with more strength and ability to do what it's meant to do (ie, thrive and grow).

Basically, you don't want to strip the hair and scalp, you just want to clean them. That way you won't have to work so hard re-building the foundation, you can just add to it w/minimal effort. In fact, if you deep condition after every wash (ex. 2x/wk) and you re-thought your stance on the above method, you might not even need to deep condition that often anymore b/c your hair wouldn't need it.

Last edited:

atlien11

I read somewhere way back in the LHCF archives that CON has an ingredient in it that causes build up (Balsam??). I LOVE :love: its detangling properties but it did always leave a slight film on my hair and scalp. I stopped using it altogether except for emergenices :rolleyes:

Nonie

Just wanted to add that besides wanting to ensure I leave my hair acidic, I always end my wash with a dunk in ACV solution and a good massage of my scalp with head submerged just to make sure no conditioner residue is left on my hair, as that would surely lead to itches and flaking. Also, when I apply conditioner, I do not appy it to the 1/2 inch or so part of my hair close to the scalp. Of course when I DC, the conditioner does get to my whole hair length, but I always end with ACV solution dunk rinse, so no itches here.

Also, when I used to use CON to wash my hair, I would use some other cleanser for my scalp and only apply CON to the hair. If I dared let CON clean my scalp, itches were inevitable. I'm one of those people whose scalp is happiest when there's nothing applied to it.

Ms Lala

Since I stopped using CON and started using a tea tree oil poo on my scalp my dandruff cleared up.

RubyWoo

BUMP because this is an excellent thread and resource!

Gym, I just finished reading your OP and all I have to say is WOW. I was recently having this same problem. I've been using Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo since November and my scalp seems to be more itchier and I would notice flakes the same day after washing. I suspected on some level that it was the DE shampoo but I loved what it did for my hair so I just kept on using it and washing more. Anyhoo, today I rinsed my scalp with water and then shampooed/massaged my scalp with KMS Head Remedy dandruff shampoo, let it sit for 3 mins and then rinsed. I then followed up with Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo(ph is low-too lazy to go look..lol), let it sit for 2 mins and then rinsed. My scalp is no longer itchy and there are no flakes:grin:! So as I suspected, I believe that I was dealing with negative build up as well.

I'm going to be using the Moisture recovery poo for awhile because I love what it does for my hair. I will also use the KMS Head REmedy shampoo when necessary. But I definitely will be leaving my beloved Design Essentials Poo for a while :sad:.

Nonie

So ideally, regular shampooing will get your scalp clean if you do it correctly.
No need to go out and buy all new stuff unless you have an extremely coating conditioning shampoo, in which case, just swing by wal-mart and spend a few bucks on like Tresemme or something till you get your bearings.

AMEN to the bold. I keep saying I love a squeaky clean scalp, which sometimes baffles people. But I have always believed that moisturizing shampoos and conditioners are meant for hair not scalp. While I do have Therappe and Elucence, I only use them when I apply them directly to my hair--say like after a DC with Emergencee. Otherwise, I use shampoos that are not particularly moisturizing or creamy to clean my scalp. And as you all know, I complete my wash with a dunk and loooong massage in a solution of ACV and EOs. I do rinse forever too massaging my scalp to ensure no residue after shampooing and after conditioning, before the ACV rinse, I never have itches. And I never apply conditioner to my scalp or the section of the hair closest to the scalp.

gymfreak336

AMEN to the bold. I keep saying I love a squeaky clean scalp, which sometimes baffles people. But I have always believed that moisturizing shampoos and conditioners are meant for hair not scalp. While I do have Therappe and Elucence, I only use them when I apply them directly to my hair--say like after a DC with Emergencee. Otherwise, I use shampoos that are not particularly moisturizing or creamy to clean my scalp. And as you all know, I complete my wash with a dunk and loooong massage in a solution of ACV and EOs. I do rinse forever too massaging my scalp to ensure no residue after shampooing and after conditioning, before the ACV rinse, I never have itches. And I never apply conditioner to my scalp or the section of the hair closest to the scalp.

I am going to have to agree with you on that. I have been using giovanni smooth as silk shampoo lately and it gets my scalp super clean but my scalp doesnt itch as much and my hair doesn't get dried out. I think that it actually helps my hair retain moisture because my hair isn't coated.

gymfreak336

Gym, are you still using the Uplifting Shampoo?

No. Right now I am using Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo. Its sulfate free and has a citrusy smell. I love it. It lathers alot so you only need a tiny amount. I still apply it to my scalp and concentrate the lather there.

ajoyfuljoy

this makes a lot of sense for me. i always used to use shampoos like that and had to use head and shoulders b/c of dandruff/itchy scalp. if i didn't shampoo my scalp at least once every 5 days my hair felt like it was on fire! And baking soda doesn't clean enough for my scalp.

Once i used a chelater for the first time it was like i'd never felt my scalp before. I know it is important for me to get my shampoo in my hair to be sudsy and really clean the scalp, b/c my scalp buildsup easy. even if I'm only 3 days past a wash day, my scalp starts to itch.

i use giovanni also and it is more stripping than Breakthru/CON was but my scalp feels better and DCing always corrects that. I won't feeling guilty about my need to get sudsy and really scrub my scalp when i shampoo.

Thanks Gym!

Last edited:

Soliel185

I have an issue with this as well. My hair is VERY thick and dense, especially now that I'm transitioning. So I would use what felt like gallons of shampoo and just end up with an unclean scalp and dried out hair as a result.

I starting putting my mint shampoo in a color applicator bottle, and adding lemon juice (which is a natural astringent and breaks down buildup). Now I get the shampoo exactly where it needs to be - scrub it in, put conditioner on the lower 2/3 of my hair and put on a cap for the rest of my shower. When I rinse, the more astringent shampoo doesn't affect my hair b/c the conditioner acts as a barrier -- it's made a huge improvement for me!

half.cadence

Ohhh okay. this makes a lot of sense. :yep: it really does explain a lot of my problems.

theres a video of akbaris way of shampooing and her explanation for doing so and it has really helped as far as breaking her thoughts down on negative build up.

anon123

This definitely makes sense. A question, what is "negative" build up and how does it differ from other types of build up?

gymfreak336

This definitely makes sense. A question, what is "negative" build up and how does it differ from other types of build up?

I think with regular build-up, we think about gunk in our hair from styling aids, serums, oils etc... Negative buildup really is the stuff on your scalp that the shampoo was suppose to get rid of. Then it gets all mixed up with your natural sebum and dead skin and you get a waxy layer that takes more than one proper shampoo session to get rid off.

QTPie

So here's a question: if you were scratching your scalp, wouldn't you feel this negative buildup under your nails or no? I'm really trying to get down to the culprit of my itchy scalp; although I don't have dandruff or experience flaking...

gymfreak336

So here's a question: if you were scratching your scalp, wouldn't you feel this negative buildup under your nails or no? I'm really trying to get down to the culprit of my itchy scalp; although I don't have dandruff or experience flaking...

If you have negative buildup, you would see it if you scratched your scalp. It might be full flakes but it will look like grime. If your scalp is just itchy, I would still try her shampoo method. After I addressed my negative buildup issue, I still had an itchy scalp for a while while it healed. Even now, I go through itchy spells and when I do, I have to revert back to this method of washing. I really got lazy and thought I didn't need it anymore but I was wrong. I also have to stay with certain types of shampoos. I have to know pH levels and I can't do harsh sulfates. When I do, bam, back to itching.

anon123

If you have negative buildup, you would see it if you scratched your scalp. It might be full flakes but it will look like grime. If your scalp is just itchy, I would still try her shampoo method. After I addressed my negative buildup issue, I still had an itchy scalp for a while while it healed. Even now, I go through itchy spells and when I do, I have to revert back to this method of washing. I really got lazy and thought I didn't need it anymore but I was wrong. I also have to stay with certain types of shampoos. I have to know pH levels and I can't do harsh sulfates. When I do, bam, back to itching.

I have grime. This is one of the reasons I dislike putting conditioner on my scalp because it seems to add to the grime. But maybe I need to change my shampoo. I'm going to take a page from Soleil and using my harsher ORS aloe rid shampoo next wash on my scalp next time. I've only used it once because I hated the way it made my hair feel, but if I coat most of my hair in something else first and then apply the shampoo to just my scalp, it won't be able to affect the rest of my hair as much.