Itching Head & Hair Growth

Coil Tresses

My head have these spells where it itches. I've always heard that means its either dirty or growing. In my case it can't be dirty because I co-wash daily and poo it every 2 weeks. Its not a bad itch where I'm digging in my scalp, but an itch that seem to come for a few days then fade away.

What do you ladies think about itching and hair growth? Do you think there's a link?

Thanks.

Bene

I think it's an old wives' tale. I can't see how growing hair can make a scalp itch. If that were the case, then scalps would be itching all the time, because hair is growing ALL THE TIME.

If my scalp is itching, that means I need to wash it, or a product I'm using is drying out my scalp or making causing some sort of reaction.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I've come to expect growth spurts when my scalp feels a little tight and/or itchy. In fact, it's a recognizable feeling that I welcome. I cowash daily too so, I know it's not dirty. And I keep my hair and scalp moist, so I know for sure it's not because it's dry. So, can it mean growth? I think it can. Keep track and see what this means for you. JMO.

Coil Tresses

Njoy girl, your hair growing fast!!! Congrats!!! Girl pray tell what you're using?
I've been on these Nioxin vitamins, they alright--it haven't been long enough to tell.

JuiceMobsta

Hey! I think that maybe when you cowash daily there may be some conditioner residue or a thin film of conditioner left on the scalp that would cause it to itch?? :look: HTH!

Solitude

Hey! I think that maybe when you cowash daily there may be some conditioner residue or a thin film of conditioner left on the scalp that would cause it to itch?? :look: HTH!

I agree with the above. :yep: The conditioner may not be completely washing away the dull/dry/shed skin on your scalp, causing the itch. This is the main reason why I can't co-wash exclusively.

I don't think you can feel your hair growing - you hair grows all over your body every day and there's no itch, but who knows....?

Coil Tresses

No its not co-wash residue because I have a wig brush I use to wash my head with daily, I scratch my whole scalp to stimulate hair growth when I do wash it daily, sometimes I use a comb as well. So, I know it isn't build up.

ms.blue

I have dry scalp so my head is always itching so I can't say that is a sign that my hair is growing cuz my hair should be all the way down to my ankles:lachen:. Maybe it could be some sort irritant in your shampoo or conditioner which is causing the scalp issue. But you know your own body so if that itchiness is sign that your hair growing then believe it. In my case, I believe my hair is growing when 1. Hair & scalp hurts if that makes sense and 2. When my eyebrows are growing in.

SueA2

I believe that some topical creams/oils can over stimulate the hair follicles cause an itching sensation and shedding.

Coil Tresses

My head always seem to itch at a certain time during the month, so it can't be anything I'm using. I think it could be a sign that its growing, cause its only for a period during the month at the same time each month, I believe. I dunno what to think because it would seem like hair is growing all the time minutely :perplexed still perplexed over this, but hey it is what it is--I still contribute mine to hair growth. I need to look online and see if there is some validity to what I think. Thanks yall. I'll be back with my findings later on. Right now I gotta blow.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Njoy girl, your hair growing fast!!! Congrats!!! Girl pray tell what you're using?
I've been on these Nioxin vitamins, they alright--it haven't been long enough to tell.

My reggie is in my blog. I don't think I mentioned that I'm also taking supplement (I'll add that later). Biotin, MSM, HSN-W, Prenatal vite, Fish Oil, Co Q10 and sometimes Chlorella (spirulina gave me a rash so I cut back on Chlorella...just in case)

I stand by the fact that I seem to be able to feel growth spurts. Who really knows? lol.

Residual conditioner on the scalp? I don't know. I try to keep the conditioner on the hair and just massage my scalp to clean it. I do use a homemade sulfur-based concoction that may be stimulating the follicles but, I think it cleans up the scalp more than anything else. If there's a build up of product, then the tightness and itching must be the hair pushing through. It sure isn't stopping growth so *shrugs*

I think if you have itchiness (and I know what you mean by it not really being a strong itchiness) then why not use a little oil (like jbco) and massage your scalp. If there is any dryness, that will deal with that and also loosen your scalp for growth. Ah well. That's JMO but, it's what I do. It's why I couldn't wait to do a mid-month visual check, to see if I got another spurt. *shrugs* HHG, girl. :yep: