Healthy Itching

LondonDiva

How can we really tell the difference between a healthy itching and unhealthy itching /images/graemlins/whyme.gif. By that I mean How do we really know a lot of our itching is from our hair growing and not from an unhealthy scalp, or a scalp that could be allergic to relaxers causing it to itch?

OneShinyface

Yeah, I wanna know too LondonDiva! The top of my head itches most often and that's where I have two hair types growing.

Integrity

simple: i think look out for deposits or stuff on the scalp for bad itches. if the scalp is clean and kept clean with frequent shampooing and is not swollen and inflammed then the hair is just growing. otherwise get yourself to a dermatologist as soon as possible!

LondonDiva

Thanks guys. I've got nothing flaking off my scalp but it's itching like mad and seriously getting on my nerves now. I'll see if it subsides as I've run out of biotin today and haven't ordered any so I'll know if it's associated with that.

pinkpanda_99

Hey Londondiva. /images/graemlins/wave.gif About two years ago, I had an allergic reaction to Vitale. What's interesting about my experience is that it only affected my nape area. Girl the itch was uncontrollable. I tried everything (patting, scratching with fingernails, massages, combs, srubbing when washing, etc.) to stop the itch and nothing helped. I subsequently had to seek the help of a dermatologist who prescribed a steriodal gel to stop the itch and to help restore my nape area. So my take, an allergic reaction is a constant, unrelenting itch that can not be satisfied by mere scratching. It can only be diminished with the help of a medicinal agent. My 2 cents. /images/graemlins/user.gif

beana3

I've been experiencing the itches myself lately, but nothing alarming. I started my vit routine back up last week, i doubt its the vits though b/c i think its a lil early. However my nails have been ona growth spurt.
I think the profectiv anti-thinning, which i'm applying to most of my scalp, is doing it for me. I rarely apply anything to my scalp (i hope i'mnot clogging my pores /images/graemlins/confused.gif) so i think its in shock from the profectiv. Maybe i'll apply it to my scalp area 2x's a week and continue to use it on my temples 2x's daily.

LondonDiva

Pinkpanda

Thanks for your response. I was also thinking it could be something that needs checking out, but it's not one of those types of itching (thank god) I have to keep my nails very short and clip them once a week cause a tiny mm of nail growth can graze the scalp and I'm trying to keep that area healty so no long nails for me this summer. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I massaged some of that thick west indian castor oil and rosemary to my scalp last night. my kitchen area has started growing in again and I only touched up on Monday 17th February. I'm more consistent with my vits and on 5mg of biotin a day so this could also be a factor. The itching has subsided today and I'm hoping it was the rosemary essential oil that contributed to soothing the itching.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I started my vit routine back up last week, i doubt its the vits though b/c i think its a lil early. However my nails have been ona growth spurt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Beana never rule it out girly. The nails being on a growth spurt is a sign also so it's very possible that with the itchies being present something is going on in the scalp area waiting to explode /images/graemlins/clap.gif (ahem...well not literally)

With the profective I don't think you have to worry about pore clogging. It is a very rich creme though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pinkpanda_99

I'm glad to hear that your itch has subsided. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Keep an eye on anything that you suspect to be out of the norm.

Candy_C

my head is ithcing like maaaaaaaaaaaad!! i think its the vitamins i'm only 4 weeks post and i have a inch of growth - and i've figured out that usually it takes 2 months for my to get an inch and that when i start to itch alot...

i'm goin to clarify tomorrow anyway to be on the safe side (i haven't clarified in months) and do a hot oil treatment with olive oil and rosemary tonight

gradygirl

Mine is itching as of last week. I'm sure its the vitamins because as soon as I cut my nails they grow right back. I was taking biotin and not seeing much difference as far as growth but when I started taking flaxseed also the new growth started coming in pretty quickly.