Is your water quality hindering your long hair goals?

AFashionSlave

Is your water quality hindering your long hair goals?
If you are having trouble retaining length, It may not be your fault. Your water may be the culprit.

I know that shower filters have been discussed on this forum many times before, but I just wanted to repeat the information for those who are new here.

I just moved into a new apartment and I had a horrible hair washing experience. I shampooed and conditioned my hair like normal and I started to comb my hair. THE COMB GOT STUCK!!! It took almost 3 hours to get through the tangles and knots. :down: The water quality in my apartment complex is horrible.

I found showerhead filters online but I did not want to wait an entire week for delivery. So I decided to buy a pur faucet mount water filter.

I love it!!!
This one is similar to the one I purchased at Lowes:
http://www.purwaterfilter.com/purulfaucmou8.html
This filter does not have much water pressure, but my hair is softer than ever with no tangles.

Next, I plan to buy a water filter for my shower.
There are a ton of benefits to bathing in filtered water. Check out this link:
http://www.showerfiltercomparisons.com/Need_Shower_Filter.cfm

Here are a couple of water filter links:
http://www.purwaterfilter.com/index.html
http://www.paragonwater.com/

Now that I have a filter, :clapping: I know that I will make it to bra strap length in no time at all. So, to all of you ladies who are having trouble retaining length, you may want to try a water filter, a water softener, or both. To those of you who go to the salon, you may want to ask your beautician about the water quality.

On the other site, there is an article called “When water = bad” if any of you want more information. I would post the link, but I don’t think the Mods want me posting links from other hair sites.

Have a good day everyone!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Maybe this is what I've been experiencing lately too...my hair does not seem as soft after washing and conditioning and it's beginning to feel dry, I always moisturize...Guess I'll have to invest in a filter.

Thanks for posting this. It's definitely something to think about. We got a paragon shower filter a couple of weeks ago. Before that I was doing a final rinse with distilled water, which seemed to be working okay. If we had a house, I would love to have a water softener.

Johnathan from Blow Out on Bravo...washed his hair with bottled water and he said that his hair felt the softest that it ever felt....it might be a reason why its hard to retain length...

DangerouslyShy said:
Johnathan from Blow Out on Bravo...washed his hair with bottled water and he said that his hair felt the softest that it ever felt....it might be a reason why its hard to retain length...

Yeah, I remember that episode. I'm going to run to home depot tonight and buy a shower filter. I know there is a post about hardwater and shower filters before this one that I check out a long time ago.

AFS... how do you wash your hair with that particular filter? are you just washing it in the sink? Could yuo describe how you do it? I always thought I would get massive tangles if I washed my hair outside of a shower...

Jonothan got me to thinking about this too...I thought i bumped a thread..can't remember. I definitely plan on getting one in the near future.

Thanks for the info AFS:)

I'm a new natural (again) and I'm not really sure about how hard the water is here. I know it's not the softest because I see white water spots on a few of my shampoo bottles and some of my face cloths dry stiff. I think that's a sign of hard water.

I don't think that the water affects my hair growth, but I AM starting to experiment with techniques that could make my hair softer.

I fill up two bottles/containers with either bottled spring or distilled water. I buy it by the gallon cuz it's less expensive. One bottle will have the plain, fresh spring water and the other bottle will have about 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 or 4 parts spring water. After I shampoo, I pour the acv bottle over my hair/scalp as a clarifying rinse. I condition next. After I rinse the conditioner our with the regular tap/shower water, I do a final rinse with the pure spring water. .... I'm not sure if I'm doing the conditioner rinse in the right order lol, but I think so.

My twa definatly feels much cleaner, yet not stripped. I'm a 4b, so I know what to expect from my hair....but it IS starting to feel softer. My no/low product routine is in effect too.

If this works, I'll know to invest in a filter.

****I think that adding baking soda to water or lemon juice can be used like the acv for clarifying*****

ThursdayGirl said:
AFS... how do you wash your hair with that particular filter? are you just washing it in the sink? Could yuo describe how you do it? I always thought I would get massive tangles if I washed my hair outside of a shower...

I’m sorry but I can't really tell you how. I just stuck my head under the faucet and I washed my hair. I didn't get any tangles. I would prefer to wash in the shower but I don't have a shower filter yet.

I notice that the water at school is harder than the water in my hometown. So, my mom gave me some kind of hairwipes from KeraCare that get out excess... after I wash at school.

I just bought a filter, I shamppod deep cond w. steamer and my hair was much softer than just the deep cond it had to be the water. I found out our water is already treated so the filter is all I need.

:)We purchased a good water filter a few months ago. I definitely notice a difference...my hair responds favoribly. The chlorine in our water definitely is the culprit in hair breakage. Your skin also benefits...you'll notice a big difference with a good filter.;) :)

~HP

Back