Wig Wearing 101

sunshinelady

I've been wearing wigs for the past year and a half, so I thought I'd share tips. Please share your tips too.

1. Make sure to push the wig back a little bit.
2. Don't be afraid to experiment.
3. Always buy two of any wig that you like, so that you don't make abrupt changes.
4. Always make sure your hair is dry under your wig.
5. No matter what you do, if you wear an ill-fitting wig, your hairline will get damaged over time. Invest in a lace wig or a big-headed wig if you have an odd-shaped head.
6. If you are getting headaches, then your wig needs stretching. Make sure that you have set the little tabs in the back to the largest possible.
7. Wig shampoo is your friend and may bring a ratty wig back to life.
8. Never comb a wet wig.
9. Even if they say you can, do not curl synthetic wigs. This will eventually ruin a wig.
10. Most importantly, customize your wig. Razor, cut, tweeze whatever will make it most natural.

Last edited:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Really good advice. I especially “buy two”. It's the worse thing if something goes wrong with your wig and you have to find an identical replacement. I've been there and it's not pretty. :lol: Even worse is when one of my favorite pieces was discontinued. Grrrr! Then same goes for shoes; now I always buy two of the ones I love if they are classically styled. But I digress... :spinning:

I’ve been wearing a human hair half-wig for a few months and I also wanted to add to avoid touching the hair and--if you misplace the wig brush--don’t use the comb or brush you use on your own hair without at least washing them first. I find the less oil--whether natural from your hands or from products--that gets on the hair, the better. I don’t have to wash the wig as often which helps it last much longer.:yep:

meaganita

Great tips ladies!:yep: I'd like to add:

Avoid wearing a stocking cap underneath the wig. Your natural hair can snag, frizz, and/or break easily. I usually wear a short satin type/spandex cap and put the stocking cap on top so it won't slide off.

Comb/brush your wig out after you take it off. I like to start at the nape where most of the tangles are. I comb the ends and work my way up.

Don't neglect your hair underneath the wig.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Great tips ladies!:yep: I'd like to add:

Avoid wearing a stocking cap underneath the wig. Your natural hair can snag, frizz, and/or break easily. I usually wear a short satin type/spandex cap and put the stocking cap on top so it won't slide off.

Comb/brush your wig out after you take it off. I like to start at the nape where most of the tangles are. I comb the ends and work my way up.

Don't neglect your hair underneath the wig.

Where do you get your spandex caps? I've been wearing the stocking caps (aka head condoms) and I need something that will be more gentle on my hairline.

meaganita

Where do you get your spandex caps? I've been wearing the stocking caps (aka head condoms) and I need something that will be more gentle on my hairline.
I got mine at a local asian BSS. It was in the mens hair care section. Places like Walmart, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc. might carry them too. But they're never consistent. Sometimes you really have to track 'em down.