Is too much braiding bad?

Ouch

I'm transitioning of course and I dont know any styles to help BUT to cornrow and box braid using my own hair. So I was wondering, can too much braiding damage your hair? My hair is currently in box braids (own hair) now and it's been that way for a week. I plan on on unbraiding and washing next sunday then going back to either the braids or cornrows.

By the way, I still need a leave in conditioner. Any suggestions?

Quick question, what's a baggy? :confused:

Nonie

I don't think braiding can hurt your hair unless whoever is doing the braiding is pulling too much or you're leaving them in so long till your hair mats due to products so that it breaks when you try to detangle. Growing up in Kenya where most people in my neighborhood had natural hair, the girls who kept hair cornrowed all the time, getting it redone every 2 weeks, were the ones whose hair fell down their backs when pressed. (And BTW, one of the two girls I have in mind used to get her hair washed and pressed each time by the stylist before braided it, so you'd think she'd have the most breakage; but nope. Her hair was so full and thick and just unfairly beautifully.)

Looking back now, I realize those of us who didn't keep our hair braided didn't have a clue how to comb natural hair, which contributed to our not retaining length. But since 2001, my hair has been in braids more than it has been out of them, and its elasticity seems to be fine (You made me check :lol: ). I'm natural though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

love2alicia

Ouch said:
I'm transitioning of course and I dont know any styles to help BUT to cornrow and box braid using my own hair. So I was wondering, can too much braiding damage your hair? My hair is currently in box braids (own hair) now and it's been that way for a week. I plan on on unbraiding and washing next sunday then going back to either the braids or cornrows.

By the way, I still need a leave in conditioner. Any suggestions?

Quick question, what's a baggy? :confused:

Id doubt that, I think braiding with extensions has the most potential to go wrong.

Saying that though many people get relaxers wrong but if you look after it really well it causes minimum damage. Main things to be carefull off is keeping the brad ends moisturized, regular washing and dont braid too tight.

I myself prefer twists on my natural hair as they arent as rigid somehow, when you braid it pulls your hair really straight and tight.

bravenewgirl87

i have ben doing it for three weeks. My hair has never been stronger (since transitioning that is). I alternate btwn Boundless Tresses, Lenzi's Request, Africa's Best Hair Mayo Leave-In and Kids Organics Detangling Lotion. Everyday i switch up my treatments and then i rub Dabur hair oils on the braids to keep them shiny and lock in moisture. My hair is no longer dry, and you won't believe the growth. I do braidsouts when my head gets tired or if i have to go somewhere. I might make SL before the summer really begins.