Is there such thing as layers in the back only?

Leslie_C

I want to eventually grow my hair all to one length. I just had a mishap with some breakage in the middle of my head in the back. Well I just accidently became my own scissor happy stylist. I started cutting, then cutting a little more, then a little more. lol. Actually Im cool with it bc my ends look a lot better but I need to back away from the scissors. I am by no means a professional but I dont trust anyone to cut my hair, especially right now (they would probably scalp me).

Some of my hair was getting to around armpit length but the ends were thin and see through so I decided to let them go. I have some thin ends in the front too that I trimmed a little away but that part is almost all the same length except my bangs. Well the back part with the breakage.....I called myself cutting the broken areas down to where it would look kind of like layers. that was a mistake bc now its more noticable than if I had left it alone. I had to cut healthy hair to make it even with the broken areas. it looks weird unless its styled. but I can still get my hair into a pontail or a french braid. Its now at the base of my neck/top of my shoulders but the broken areas that I cut are about 3" long. I dont plan to wear it down often and if I do it will be styled to blend it in.

do u think its ok to leave it like this or do I need to have layers all over for it to look right? hope that makes sense....the back has short parts but the front doesnt(except bangs), my rationale is the back grows faster so w/in 3 or 4 months it shouldnt be noticable.

hOnii

there is a such thing as layering part of the head. usually people will layer the top part instead of the whole head, but if your going for 1 length you probably wouldnt want to go through and layer the rest to make it blend b/c then the top's going to be very short, and that would set you further from your goal.

nesha24

i had my hair layered only in the back. i liked it because it wasn't drastic, and it gave my hair alot of movement.

SouthernGirl

I find that generally speaking, layers look best on people with thick hair. If it's thinning (especially the ends), layers tend to emphasize the thinness, where blunt cuts give the appearance of thicker hair.

Layered cuts do give better movement (and look best in my opinion when done right), but they are sometimes hard to pull off, and must be styled. They tend to look a but choppy when straight w/o a bit of curl- unless you're going for that look.

I'd say lay off the scissors for a bit, and just let your hair grow to a length that you can cut it all one length as you mentioned. Trim it a bit at a time as you go, but just let it grow. Since you can still wear ponytails, maybe try wearing them for a while to speed up the growth process, then cut.

HTH,
SG