Anyone tired of their layers?

MissM

Guys, I am really going back and forth trying to decide what to do with my hair. My hair is layered into a V in the back and although it is bra strap length cutting it would mean having at least 50% of my length loss. It would be a major setback in growth, but I'm so tired of the way it looks in the back. Either I'm going to regret cutting it or I'm going to love having one length hair again. I'm just so sick of these layers!

Right now I'm pregnant and everyone says I can expect really good hair growth, so should I cut it now while it is growing faster or should I let it grow out some more and have it kind of evened up after I have the baby (after Sept)? I'm just afraid of regretting a cut. What to do? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh, then I don't even want to go thru the drama of finding someone to cut it. My old hair dresser: (con)the one who charged me $60 for bangs and front layers that I didn't ask for? Pro: I know he won't hack off my hair, one thing I can give the guy is I could barely tell when he trimmed my hair. And he's really slow.

Or the new lady who I let trim my hair last month who did a good job? She also cut my friend's hair and it came out really nice.

BlkMane

I also have layers which I am sooooo over. But like you, I don't want to get a major cut....just yet.

If I were you, I'd go to the lady stylist (if you feel she won't hack your hair off) and tell her to take off 2-3 inches of length ONLY. Most importantly, let her know that you are trying to grow the layers out so she doesn't try to "keep" them. Since you are still sort of wishy-washy about getting your hair cut, I wouldn't cut up to the shortest layer (just yet). After all, like you said, you might live to regret it.

Cut off a couple of inches and see how it goes. You can always cut more, but you can't add back. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tracy

Right here god...right here...

I have some front ones left as well from unauthorized layering and hacking almost exactly a year ago. I too, am loathed to cutting it bc I'd lose so much length. My hair is inching its way down my back (painfully slowly /images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) and I'd need to cut at least to my ears /images/graemlins/blush.gif to get it all even. Given that, I clearly have decided NOT to cut. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll just wait until my layers are a few inches above BS (which will take a very long time) and even it out then. I am totally against cutting the hair if it i healthy and just doesn't "look" the way I want during the grow out process - because it's so day to day... some days I love it and other days I would fell blessed to be bald just so I didn't have to deal. Those days I put on a hat or do a bun and I'm good. Put it away in the meantime if you don't mind updos...protective styles can be great for retaining length, can minimize the need to trim, and with the added boost of pregnancy (congrats!) you may just be satisfied enough with the length of layers to cut to that length. By then, if you are lucky and give your hair lots of TLC you may just be able to have your cake and eat it too...

Good Luck :hug:

pebbles

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat as you and I hate it. I have so many different layers to my hair, and it is growing in painfully slow! (Where's Harry Potter with his magic wand when you need him? /images/graemlins/grin.gif) Well, all I can do is like Tracy said and give it as much TLC as I can to help it grow. Eventually I will cut them all to the same length. I really hate all of these different layers. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Robin41

I'm with you on that one Pebbles. I'm trying to be patient but I'm still growing out layers that started in the 80's!

The top is finally catching up to the bottom layers but eventually I'll have to cut the bottom to even it up. I don't believe I'll ever get it layered to that extent again.

sweetcocoa

I have one last layer to go and I am soooo tempted to chop off 2-3 inches to get rid of it. I've been thinking about this for the last 2 weeks...and may do it at then end of the month...then I'll be free! /images/graemlins/clap.gif
I'll never get layers again! Now if I could just get my bangs to grow! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

leejure

No, I would let the layers grow out a little longer before cutting it even. Does your hair that grow in layers or did you get it cut in layers?

My best friend cut her shoulder length hair to about chin length to get rid of her layers only to discover that her hair grew in layers. A few months later, she was back at shoulder length with the same layers! To make a long story short,you may be cutting in vain. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Also, I read that getting hair cut (drastically---style) is never a good idea when you are pregnant. Only because your face shape/body will go thru so monay changes. So a shorter cute that may look nice on your pre-pregnancy face may not be so flattering on a fuller (mommy-to-be) face.

-lee

hada

Hey Sweetcocoa,

Go for it.

I remember when I did it two years ago, it was a relief. Yes I lost a couple of inches but it was worth it after a lifetime of layers. Then you will "see" your hair grow. And the hairs will grow together and look thicker.

hada

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sweetcocoa said:
I have one last layer to go and I am soooo tempted to chop off 2-3 inches to get rid of it. I've been thinking about this for the last 2 weeks...and may do it at then end of the month...then I'll be free! /images/graemlins/clap.gif
I'll never get layers again! Now if I could just get my bangs to grow! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I say wait. Your hair is growing fast. It'll catch up in no time. LEAVE IT ALONE GIRL. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hada

Hey leejure,

You can avoid the growing into layers but clipping the ends in the blunt form each time. That is what some one told me. I had never had even hair before. But I eventually, after cutting my hair even, grew my hair a few inches above brastrap before the big chop I gave myself because of bad hair color. So if you chop the hair, then leave it alone.. the layers will grow back. I did this a number of years ago twice and couldn't figure out why I kept growing layers. Hair naturaly on all heads, I believe, grows naturally in layers, but when you play with it and [keep] clipped in blunt fashion it will grow out that way. I was successful.

hada

Leshia

pebbles said:
Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat as you and I hate it. I have so many different layers to my hair, and it is growing in painfully slow! (Where's Harry Potter with his magic wand when you need him? /images/graemlins/grin.gif) Well, all I can do is like Tracy said and give it as much TLC as I can to help it grow. Eventually I will cut them all to the same length. I really hate all of these different layers. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"Lord, Peb didn't mean maaggiicccc...Nooooo Lord.." /images/graemlins/spank.gif YOU will make her hair grow long and strong (and fast)!

pebbles

"Lord, Peb didn't mean maaggiicccc...Nooooo Lord.." YOU will make her hair grow long and strong (and fast)!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Did I say magic? /images/graemlins/grin.gif Bad Pebbles, bad!! /images/graemlins/spank.gif
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlkMane

Hada said:...I believe, grows naturally in layers, but when you play with it and [keep] clipped in blunt fashion it will grow out that way. I was successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair DOESN'T naturally grow in layers. It grows pretty much the same length all around. As long as it starts out even and I don't cut "into" it, it grows out even.

That is why for most of my life, I've favored blunt cuts as once they are cut they are a breeze for me to keep.

MissM

Now I had already been going back and forth over this decision but it was Leejure's pics of her hair that really shows me what I could have (girl, your hair is the bomb!). But Tracy has a valid point and I think all of us could agree, some days you hate those damn layers and other days they kinda work with a certain style. Know whatamean?

After giving it some thought I think that I will wait to even it out, I know my hair will grow in one length I just need to grow it out some more so a cut won't make me regret it. And I already have a roundish face to begin with (no matter how much danggone weight I lose) this is definitely not the time to bring more attention to it. So when it gets aggravating I'm just going to have to wear it up.

But I agree-no more layers! Just like two years ago I said no more highlights I'm going to stick with this. Somebody better fly to MI to give me a butt whoopin if I ever mention layers again! Thanks guys!

hada

Hi BLkmane,

What I was saying is that if one were to start out bald, and the hair grows, all the hairs more than likely will be 1 inch all the way around the head. When it keeps growing out, they will be the same number of inches around the head. What makes fora "layered" look is that the hairs on the head that are in the back, let's say 10 inches longer at the nape creating the look that it is longer than 10 inches of hair at the crown of the head or on the temples of the hairline. That is what I mean by "natural" layering.

Now maybe you are a different case, everyone is different. Maybe your hair in it's own way adjusts to be even after a cut...... I don't know.

What I mean by a cut is actually a slight clipping to keep the even look for those of us who do have a tendency to grow layers. I was just helping when i said this, because it worked for me. Sorry to upset you.

hada

henrilou

Hada-
I know exactly what you mean. My hair grows this way. For example: if your hair is 10 inches ALL the way around, naturally the back is going to APPEAR longer than the CROWN. Because the CROWN may be 10 inches but it will not reach as far down as the nape area....SO one might trim the nape area shorter to be even with the crown....
(Funny, because if hair grows this way then in fact it is not "layered" it is even. And when we trim it to "even" it up, we are, in fact "layering" it.)
Any hoo, whatever. Just wanted to say that I know what you meant.

sweetcocoa

When I say I'm getting rid of the layers...I'm talking about the layers I had 'cut' in my hair....not the natural way it grows. The original poster said she was thinking about getting layers cut in her hair which are the ones that most of the ladies here(including myself) are saying they wouldn't get again or are trying to grow out...

leejure

Thank you MissM!

And I will fly to MI (I frequent Ohio a lot) to pinch you if you talk about layers again, okay?! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BlkMane

Hada-

I understand what you meant. I wasn't upset. I was just stating that my hair once it is cut evenly grows evenly (e.g., I never get a "v" in the back unless it is specifically cut that way).

I didn't mean for my email to sound confrontational, I think you misread it. Sorry about that! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif