Is there really a set time limit to transition?

HeavenlySkies

I'm thinking about cutting my hair earlier than a year more like near the end of next month (possibly) but I noticed most people on here say they are going for 2 years or a year. At first I was going to wait a year but then I was thinking maybe the longer you transition depends on your starting length...since mine was neck length I decided that my transition shouldn't be as long as someone that's say shoulder length or more. But then someone might say it all depends on the length you want at the time of of the BC but you can only have so many permed ends before your natural side takes over...any thoughts/ideas?​

Last edited:

Black Hoya Chick

well my reasons have a lot to do with things you touched on. i started with past shoulder length hair so cutting to anything shorter than that was blasphemy. but i want to transition until my natural hair is at least brastrap length. why? because my hair has never been that long (except when i briefly had a texturizer but i never wore it straight to really see). why else? because i can. those relaxed ends are a buffer right now as i take care of my natural hair. lol. so for me..i probably won't be fully natural until sometime in 2010..and i am ok with this. i want long natural hair that looks good (on me) curly or straight :yep:

HeavenlySkies

well my reasons have a lot to do with things you touched on. i started with past shoulder length hair so cutting to anything shorter than that was blasphemy. but i want to transition until my natural hair is at least brastrap length. why? because my hair has never been that long (except when i briefly had a texturizer but i never wore it straight to really see). why else? because i can. those relaxed ends are a buffer right now as i take care of my natural hair. lol. so for me..i probably won't be fully natural until sometime in 2010..and i am ok with this. i want long natural hair that looks good (on me) curly or straight :yep:

See that makes sense for you because you have long hair lol But for me if I'm not hiding it or have it braided (which I hate) then there are no styling options for me besides flat ironing which I'm not trying to do at this point...if my hair was that long I'd just rock a ponytail or bun everyday easily but I don't have that option.​

naturalmanenyc

No, no time limit. It's all about when you are happy with the length of your natural hair. I chopped off a few inches last month because I was sick of dealing with 3 textures (natural, texlaxed, relaxed). So long as I can still do my pin up style with my own straightened hair, I am fine with the shorter length. It's much thicker now that I did the minichop.

Black Hoya Chick

See that makes sense for you because you have long hair lol But for me if I'm not hiding it or have it braided (which I hate) then there are no styling options for me besides flat ironing which I'm not trying to do at this point...if my hair was that long I'd just rock a ponytail or bun everyday easily but I don't have that option.​

i guess you have a point. my transition is going by pretty easily because i do just bun everyday. and now that my hair is APL i try to spice the buns up a bit lol. but that is only because i hate weave (too many bad experiences/memories). but wouldn't hiding the hair make transitioning even easier?

HeavenlySkies

i guess you have a point. my transition is going by pretty easily because i do just bun everyday. and now that my hair is APL i try to spice the buns up a bit lol. but that is only because i hate weave (too many bad experiences/memories). but wouldn't hiding the hair make transitioning even easier?

I've been hiding my hair since August there comes a time when you get tired of it being under wraps...​

Black Hoya Chick

I've been hiding my hair since August there comes a time when you get tired of it being under wraps...​

i feel you girl. that is why i am gonna wear my hair straight for a while and *gasp* maybe even down...nah let's not get crazy. maybe 1 or 2 days a week lol

Black Hoya Chick

Hey how long do you plan on transitioning?​

a lifetime :lachen: . with the natural length that i am looking for...into 2010..i am looking at a 2yr minimum. i started at the end of march of this year. no matter what i will be fully natural by august 29, 2010 - my 21st bday

HeavenlySkies

a lifetime :lachen: . with the natural length that i am looking for...into 2010..i am looking at a 2yr minimum. i started at the end of march of this year. no matter what i will be fully natural by august 29, 2010 - my 21st bday

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH good luck lol I've been tempted for the last 2 months to BC I'm really gonna try for a full year though now guess I'm going to have to keep my hair in these dreaded cornrows.​

hopeful

You should transition for however long you want. It could be one or two months, 6 months, 1 or more years. It all depends on how badly you want to hurry up and be natural, how well your hair is cooperating, the length you want it to be, etc. Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck!

HeavenlySkies

You should transition for however long you want. It could be one or two months, 6 months, 1 or more years. It all depends on how badly you want to hurry up and be natural, how well your hair is cooperating, the length you want it to be, etc. Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck!

I want to be natural like last year lol Of course I want some length to be able to do something with it and I know I won't have that if I chop it now but you don't understand how bad I wanna chop it lol​

hopeful

I want to be natural like last year lol Of course I want some length to be able to do something with it and I know I won't have that if I chop it now but you don't understand how bad I wanna chop it lol​

Hey I just looked at those pics in your hair history--you are sooo pretty. Girl with 6 months of natural hair, all you gotta do is a twistout and go :). Wait till you're ready though, but I think you are going to happy when you finally bc. One day you'll just be like I am so over transitioning:yep:.

HeavenlySkies

Hey I just looked at those pics in your hair history--you are sooo pretty. Girl with 6 months of natural hair, all you gotta do is a twistout and go :). Wait till you're ready though, but I think you are going to happy when you finally bc. One day you'll just be like I am so over transitioning:yep:.

Thanks mama. I want to do it sooo bad I love these lil spirals all over the place I really don't think I've discovered the right products for my hair yet but then again I don't think I'll really be able to until I'm 100% natural. But I'm gonna try to stick it out maybe I can have a curlie afro or something by the time I do chop it.​

that_1_grrrl

I could never transition. I did the big chop 2 or 3 times (I got a bad memory). Each time, I tried to transition to get some more length. Couldn't do it. I ended up doing the cut within weeks/days of deciding to go natural.

So... in short, cut it as soon as you feel ready to cut it. Maybe just find some hairstyles you want to wear before you do.

that_1_grrrl

I could never transition. I did the big chop 2 or 3 times (I got a bad memory). Each time, I tried to transition to get some more length. Couldn't do it. I ended up doing the cut within weeks/days of deciding to go natural.

So... in short, cut it as soon as you feel ready to cut it. Maybe just find some hairstyles you want to wear before you do.

FAMUDva

I don't think there is a set time... the BC is so personal, that it's all on you. I have friends that BC'd 3-5 wks after their last relaxer to fade cuts, and others who never BC'd and just transitioned for 2-3 yrs.

It's oh so personal and whatever you are most comfortable with IMO.

Neith

I'm transitioning for much more than 2 years :lol:

It's not important to me whether I'm fully natural or not. I will have natural hair down my back (God Willing) with my texlaxed ends too. It's just not important for me to cut.

Whatever your situation... do you :) Cut them off when you want to, not because you think you should because that's what other people do.

NikStarrr

Nope, no set time. It's all up to you! Me personally, I encourage ppl to transition for a year or longer. I transitioned for a year--and was traumatized by how short my hair was, even after a year transition. haha My BC was 6 months ago, and it's grown a lot. But if I had to do it all again, I'd probably have transitioned for 18-24 months.

Allandra

No, there's no set time limit to transition. I've been transitioning since October 27, 2007. I'm going to keep right on transitioning. :)

glamazon386

No... You could bc with new growth and be bald. I think most people just choose a year because they figure they'll have a decent amount of hair by then. Dealing with the two textures can be hard work for some people.

trinidarkie1

The BC is a personal choice. Some people just want to get it over with and just shave/cut it all off. My relaxed hair looks horrid, but since I am still somewhat in denial, I am retaining it for as long as possible. My new growth (6 months) is about an inch all around but with thinning on the crown, so I will continue to stretch and trim until my hair is full.

I would like to wait until Decmber 2009, however, I will take it a month at a time and chart my progress. :)

I'm excited to see my natural hair again.

HeavenlySkies

Nope, no set time. It's all up to you! Me personally, I encourage ppl to transition for a year or longer. I transitioned for a year--and was traumatized by how short my hair was, even after a year transition. haha My BC was 6 months ago, and it's grown a lot. But if I had to do it all again, I'd probably have transitioned for 18-24 months.

I'm glad you posted in here because I absolutely LOVE your hair and it's what makes me want to chop lol But I've gone from a little passed shoulder length to halle berry length and I wasn't traumatized until I was letting it grow back and couldn't do jack with it unless I went to a salon lol So I think I might be able to do it but I'll see how long I can hold out if I absolutely can't fight it anymore I'll chop.​

Lyoness

Theres no set limit since your feelings and thoughts change.. And sometimes your hair has a mind of its own..

I've gone through days of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHH gimmie some scissors right now" ... to "I'm not cutting off a thing til I reach APL .. BSL.. my feet!" .. to "When the scraggy ends get too silly or I get breakage"... and I'm sure there are many more days/weeks/months of those thougthts...

I think its good to have distant goals to keep you focussed but nothing set in stone to regret and beat yourself up over

Sorry If I waffled!