Is some breakage inevitable?

FtrDrO

I was just wondering if some level of breakage is inevitable because it seems that no matter how gentle I am with my hair, I have some broken pieces of hair. They aren't necessarily a lot, but I can't say that there isn't a time when I do anything to my hair, when no breakage is seen.

Hair stats: Fine haired, heat free, 4a/4b natural.

I'm not sure if being fine haired or natural, or both has anything to do with it. Does anyone else have this experience?

darlingdiva

I was just wondering if some level of breakage is inevitable because it seems that no matter how gentle I am with my hair, I have some broken pieces of hair. They aren't necessarily a lot, but I can't say that there isn't a time when I do anything to my hair, when no breakage is seen.

Hair stats: Fine haired, heat free, 4a/4b natural.

I'm not sure if being fine haired or natural, or both has anything to do with it. Does anyone else have this experience?

I think that being fine-haired and natural has a lot to do with it. I'm a fine-haired 4a/4b natural. I guess I could qualify as heat free because I'm still practicing with flat-ironing.

I DC my hair every time I wash it, and I keep the moisture/protein balance in check as is necessary for my hair. I still have some breakage, though. It's isn't an overwhelming amount at all, but it's still there. I also can't think of a time when I don't see ANY breakage.

ms.blue

I have be dealing w/ this also and I just except this b/c I'm natural. I try to minimize it by not comb my hair until wash day and keeping my hair in braids.

shasha8685

Yes. I believe (and I may be in the minority in this) that whenever you manipulate your hair via washing, combing, or whatever you will experience some breakage. I think the key is to watch the amount of breakage. For example, you may get 10 broken hairs whenever you comb-a small amount compared to the amount of hair on your head. However, if you were to have a sink full of broken hair (and I mean that you have so much broken hair in the sink that it is like a carpet) after you comb, then you should be worried.

As long as you know that you are doing everything you can to keep your hair healthy and are still retaining length, I wouldn't worry too much. HTH!

Fhrizzball

I'm not fine haired, well at least the majority of my hair isn't- I have varying thicknesses. I always get short pieces of breakage and even split coming off. Even when adding moisture to my hair I can get it. It add up so I usually rely on spray moisturizers and keep the manipulation to a minimum.

FtrDrO

[/B]

I think that being fine-haired and natural has a lot to do with it. I'm a fine-haired 4a/4b natural. I guess I could qualify as heat free because I'm still practicing with flat-ironing.

I DC my hair every time I wash it, and I keep the moisture/protein balance in check as is necessary for my hair. I still have some breakage, though. It's isn't an overwhelming amount at all, but it's still there. I also can't think of a time when I don't see ANY breakage.

Yeah, I do the same things that you do and have the same experience. So, I guess you're right about it probably having to do with our hair texture. :yep:

yup. as long as you're retaining length don't be worried

Thanks! I have been retaining length, so I guess that is the important thing. I just get concerned that although it's not showing now, that may have a cumulative effect and come bite me in the butt later. :perplexed

I have be dealing w/ this also and I just except this b/c I'm natural. I try to minimize it by not comb my hair until wash day and keeping my hair in braids.

This is more or less what I do as well. I minimize manipulation as much as I can by keeping my hair in twists or protective styles most of the time. The only time I comb/finger comb (i'm trying to minimize the use of combs now), is on wash day.

brittanynic16

I believe some breakage is inevitable. There are like 100,000 hairs on your hair. Even if 10 hairs break a day for a year (3,650) you haven't even put a dent in the appearence of your hair. Moistuizing has really helped my breakage.

MizzCoco

I still get a few broken hairs when I manipulate it, but its WAY better than it was pre-LHCF and all the things I've learned. I DC, keep my moisture protein balance in check, rarely use direct heat, and protective style and I still have minor breakage, but its not a problem anymore

Mdmommy99

I'm not an expert but I would say yes, and probably moreso if you have fine strands. My strands are fine and any time I do anything to my hair, whether its combing, twisting etc., I have a couple of strands. Now that I'm taking better care of my hair I don't have many, but I always have a few.

Barbie83

I'm dealing with this as well. I do think that I will always have some breakage. I'm relaxed 4a (I think). I always DC (alternate protein/moisture) when I wash, I rollerset or twist, and only use heat sometimes. But I still have broken pieces when I detangle or manipulate my hair. It can be discouraging to hear other ladies talk about how something "totally STOPPED" their breakage 100%.....I guess I gotta take statements like that with a grain of salt :rolleyes:

I'm dealing with this as well. I do think that I will always have some breakage. I'm relaxed 4a (I think). I always DC (alternate protein/moisture) when I wash, I rollerset or twist, and only use heat sometimes. But I still have broken pieces when I detangle or manipulate my hair. It can be discouraging to hear other ladies talk about how something "totally STOPPED" their breakage 100%.....I guess I gotta take statements like that with a grain of salt :rolleyes:

I am so glad someone posted this. I moisturise everyday and as soon as my hair gets wet , i see breakage in my hands no matter how careful I am. What's your DC reggie?

southerncitygirl

yep no matter how much moisture/ protein or low mani or even washing in plaits it inevitable, but when i go to my stylist for my length checks she just needs to dust so i think its ok. i decided to do protein once a month to see if it helps a bit and it seems to be working. also with kbb milk being a leave-in for me and it having slip also helps when i detangle on wash day and i protective style with wigs.

JJamiah

I have had several periods (before trying and experiementing with other products) where I wasn't getting any breakage, I'd get a few shed hairs which is normal. My stylist was impressed that she relaxed my hair and 3 hairs she counted came out long so I don't think it was breakage. I believe it can be done. I experimented with Mega Tek and that was out the door. I through my hair balance for a loop. I now get very few shed hairs and 1-4 pieces of breakage when my hair is past wash day. I don't doubt other peoples experiences, but I know my own. :) I know I don't get 2 inches of growth, but my breakage is on hiatus!

growinstrong

I get breakage no matter what I do. Wash, co-wash, comb, airdry, put up for ps. Heck, I get breakage just lookin at it :lachen:. But in saying that, it's not a lot and has gotten much better since pre-LHCF. I say on average, I lose about 8-10 strands per week due to breakage :yep: which is definitely acceptable for me.

Last edited:

JJamiah

I get breakage no matter what I do. Wash, co-wash, comb, airdry, put up for ps. Heck, I get breakage just lookin at it :lachen:. But in saying that, it's not a lot and has gotten much better since pre-LHCF. I say on average, I lose about 8-10 strands per week due to breakage :yep: which is definitely acceptable for me.

Is it shedding or breakage?

I check like every strand, make sure that bulb is on the end. LOL

IN NOVEmber I got mega breakage (Chlorine incident) 3 handfulls :(

growinstrong

Ok, so I'm weird and just dont have anything better to do. but when I wash my hair every week, I detagle on wash days and comb my hair both before I wash and after the DC process. Before washing, I can count about 40-60 shed strands, 4-5 broken strands, for the whole week. (I must not be detangling thoroughly). After washing, DC and detangling, I can count 30-40 shed strands and only 3-4 broken strands. I am very gentle and thus dont lose too many strands for the week. I would like to cut down on breakage, but havent suffered any length due to it. I cant for the life of me understand why my hair is so fine, seeing that I dont shed a lot of hair each week.

Is it shedding or breakage?

I check like every strand, make sure that bulb is on the end. LOL

Last edited:

Nayeli

Breakage will always be a part of my life - not a big part because my hair is healthy - but between putting on shirts, taking ponytail holders out of my hair, washing my hair without realizing I have a chipped nail, scarfs at the top of my neck, propping my head up with my hands while laying on the bed - I will have some breakage SOMEWHERE.

And it may only seem like a sizable amount for those of us who don't manipulate often because some of the broken hairs get trapped in the hair. So when it's finally time to detangle, we feel like we're not measuring up to the "no hairs in the comb" ladies.

Reading about hair so much used to have me mourning the loss of every hair from my head. Now, I don't worry about breakage unless it's significant.

PPGbubbles

This thread is encouraging because a little piece of me dies everytime a hair breaks! I treat my hair like fine silk and still there is breakage *sigh* glad to know im not alone!

I mean it is only a few hairs every wash and nothing like the damage I did pre LHCF! but I wish it would stop!

I am a fine haired lady and my moisture protein balance is on point but my skinny strands cant take nuffin!!!

ellebelle88

Relaxed ladies, what do you moisturize with to help combat breakage? I oil my hair sometimes, but I must admit, that I don't really moisturize because I hate my hair feeling greasy and heavy. I love the light, silky, airy feeling of my hair after it's freshly washed. Does anyone know a good, lightweight miosturizer?

Nayeli

@ ljbee - NTM triple touch leave-in is the lightest and most effective moisturizer I've ever used.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I used to fret about breakage but why bother? For me it's a great indicator. I now know that I need protein at my line of demarcation since i have more than a few long strands snapping (13 weeks post). I don't have hair snapping off at the ends which means they are getting what they need. Nowadays If I see more breakage than I'm used to i can easily figure out whats wrong...

Amerie123

Thanks for this thread.. i really needed it because i was starting to get a little worried. esp since i recently trimmed (beginning of mar), and i'm experiencing breakage. my moisture/protein balance is ON POINT, and i do everything right to the "T," but i still see some broken hairs.. thats why i'm going back to my cornrow-for-3-months-under-wig regi.. i retain very well this way. this past month, i decided to let my hair out, and i see small strands here and there.. never a sink-full or anything, but just a tad bit more than i care to see..

JJamiah

Ok, so I'm weird and just dont have anything better to do. but when I wash my hair every week, I detagle on wash days and comb my hair both before I wash and after the DC process. Before washing, I can count about 40-60 shed strands, 4-5 broken strands, for the whole week. (I must not be detangling thoroughly). After washing, DC and detangling, I can count 30-40 shed strands and only 3-4 broken strands. I am very gentle and thus dont lose too many strands for the week. I would like to cut down on breakage, but havent suffered any length due to it. I cant for the life of me understand why my hair is so fine, seeing that I dont shed a lot of hair each week.

So Sorry for the late response. We are going to get shedding, and if we are suppose to get up to 100 daily, that which your getting is fine. Your hair is probably just thin density. Like myself your not going to have thick hair, so we have to love what we have.

Sianna

I'm so glad I ran across this thread!! It's nice to know that I'm not alone!

My hair is really short right now (closing in on two inches :rolleyes: ) so any amount of breakage is kind of a big deal for me.

I treat my hair very well and it seems to be growing and maintaining length better than it has in the past, but I do still see the occasional broken hair.

Like some of you have mentioned, I check the hairs that leave my scalp to find out if they are broken or shed. It's usually pretty easy to tell from first glance, because the broken hairs tend to be really short, whereas the shed hairs are obviously longer.

I hate to see those broken little hairs, but at the moment I don't consider it to be a big problem. I only see about one or two per co-wash.

I was thinking that strand size might play a significant roll in breakage. Seems like thicker strands would be more resistant to breakage while finer strands would break more easily. I have a full range, but the bulk of my hairs appear to be slightly thinner than what I understand to be average. :look: