Naturals do you get brekage when styling?

jtsupanova

Naturals do you get breakage when styling?

I have heard some breakage is inevitable when styling natural hair, is this true?
I ask this question because I have been natural for a few years and I have never not had breakage when styling (well only when my hair was really short). Although the breakage I get is by no means detrimental is still bothers me. I style my hair when damp in twist and my hair is really coily so it tangles up as soon as i take it out of sections.

Do you get breakage when you style? if so how much...If not then how:perplexed

Last edited:
Re: Naturals do you get breakage when styling?

Anyone have any advice on this subject!?

Last edited:
When I style my 4a coils...I dont really get many breakage strands since I tend to style like every two weeks, I do get shed hairs. I would say I get about a 5 to 1 shed to breakage ratio. (I examined them every wash for like two months straight to make sure this is what they were.)

However, when some people who arent accustomed to my hair style it, I get more breakage because they try to use strength to detangle...when you really need a gentle tease. I usually end up just taking the comb and doing it myself as to not incur breakage and then not letting that person style my hair again.

In my opinion with natural hair: ignorance+wrong products=breakage

If your hair is well moisturized and you take your time and use gentle strokes, there is no need for excessive breakage. I would say if you are only getting minimal breakage, not to worry about it.

If you are then try finding a leave-in with more slip and use a wide tooth comb followed by a Denman. HTH

Last edited:
I was natural for 9 years. I always got breakage no matter what. Moisture, protein, being gentle...none of that stuff has ever stopped breakage for me. I still retain a good amount of length, though, so go figure. :confused: The same thing is true for me now that I am relaxed.

I avoided breakage by keeping my hair in protective styles most of the times - box braids, two-strand twists, etc. I didn't wear my hair down much at all, since for me manipulation automatically means breakage.

^ thanks for responding
I think part of my tangling problem is not using a brush (to get all the shed hairs out) after I use my wide tooth comb. But the longer my hair gets the more dense its is and thats alot of work....I need to stop being so lazy

I agree with locfreeme lately my hair has experienced very little breakage from styling. When I flat iron it if I am not very careful with my ends they may start to break off. But in general styling my hair while its natural I experience very little to no breakage from braid outs and from wet sets. But I do wonder what is happening to my ends at times with the wet sets. When other people do my hair, I notice the breakage is a lot worse because they pull on my hair a lot more then it needs and they are not gentle with detangling I generally only comb my hair when wet and if its partially dry I have to take an extra amount of time so I do not pull on it too much.

So in general if done right I don’t think much breakage should happen at all while styling.

jtsupanova said:
*sings*
You are not alone, I am here with you

my hair tangles something bad when i do my wash and go the tangles got so bad that i had to blow dry my hair to get all the tangles out i made the mistake of rinsing some twist and ever since tangle city.

It's really a matter of gentleness - I find that anytime I use anything harder than my finger to touch my dry hair - I get breakage. If I move too fast in my wet hair with a comb - I get breakage. Super super slow and super super gentle is the key.

nappywomyn said:
It's really a matter of gentleness - I find that anytime I use anything harder than my finger to touch my dry hair - I get breakage. If I move too fast in my wet hair with a comb - I get breakage. Super super slow and super super gentle is the key.

:yep: ITA!! :up:

jtsupanova said:
^ thanks for responding
I think part of my tangling problem is not using a brush (to get all the shed hairs out) after I use my wide tooth comb. But the longer my hair gets the more dense its is and thats alot of work....I need to stop being so lazy

If I am feeling lazy or if I am tired...I just dont do it. I know that will end up in damage. :ohwell: I have to wash and detangle my hair first thing on Saturday morning when I am full of energy. After taking down cornrows and recieving a like 30 minute scalp massage then shampooing, my hair was full of tangles. It took me TWO hours last weekend to detangle my hair. Patience and time are definitely important.

Yes, and if you dont have one, PLEA

jtsupanova said:
^ thanks for responding

If I am feeling lazy or if I am tired...I just dont do it. I know that will end up in damage. :ohwell: I have to wash and detangle my hair first thing on Saturday morning when I am full of energy. Last weekend, after taking down cornrows and recieving a like 30 minute scalp massage then shampooing, my hair was full of tangles. It took me TWO hours to detangle my hair. So yes...if you dont want extra breakage...patience and time are definitely important.

Yes, and if you dont have a Denman brush, PLEASE GO GET ONE!! If you have one, USE IT!! It has made ALL of the difference in my detangling. It def gets all the shed hair out.

Also, ACV rinses have helped me. My hair feels less tangled after I do these and I can tell the difference when I dont. I think because the cuticle is sealed my strands dont latch on to each other as much.

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Yes, and if you dont have a Denman brush, PLEASE GO GET ONE!! If you have one, USE IT!! It has made ALL of the difference in my detangling. It def gets all the shed hair out.

Can I admit that I am TERRIFIED of using a brush in my hair? It just - it literally makes me CRINGE. Do you use it on wet hair or dry?

brownsugarflyygirl said:
If I am feeling lazy or if I am tired...I just dont do it. I know that will end up in damage. :ohwell: I have to wash and detangle my hair first thing on Saturday morning when I am full of energy. Last weekend, after taking down cornrows and recieving a like 30 minute scalp massage then shampooing, my hair was full of tangles. It took me TWO hours to detangle my hair. So yes...if you dont want extra breakage...patience and time are definitely important.

Also, ACV rinses have helped me. My hair feels less tangled after I do these and I can tell the difference when I dont. I think because the cuticle is sealed my strands dont latch on to each other as much.

When exactly are you using the denman? While detangling in the shower? Outside? Wet, damp, dry?

I tend to get a lot of breakage too when styling also. It feels like I am using so much manipulation just to get my hair in a simple bun/ponytail and losing unnecessary hair. Makes me want to go back to just pressing all the time to make styling easier.

Back