Is setting lotion neccesary?

isawstars

I am home from college and I forgot my setting lotion... :mad: I wanted to attempt another flexi rod or perhaps just a roller set... do I REALLY need setting lotion? Or will it turn out the same if I use a moisturizer?

mommatide

no it's not. i rollerset exclusively and i hardly ever use it because i like a soft curl. i only use it when i want to have a stiffer set.

VelvetRain

I can't do a set without setting lotion. It just doesn't come out right for me. You need something to hold that curl.

QUINN

I don't think so. I recently used Kemi oyl and NTM Silk Touch leave-in and my roller set turned out beautiful. Good luck!

Last edited:

lovelymissyoli

michelle3147 said:
I can't do a set without setting lotion. It just doesn't come out right for me. You need something to hold that curl.

I agree! I've tried gel, foam, and spritz but nothing works like good ole' setting solution. For my past few strawsets and flexi-rod sets I used Motion's liquid setting solution (the purple liquid not the foam) and it gave my curls a nice hold, added sheen, and was still soft to the touch! HTH!

KiSseS03

Nope. I never use one, I just put my leave-in, NTM Silk Touch Leave-In, and I occasionally use a little infusium to detangle and my hair come out really nice, soft and bouncy :)

LovelyZ

I once forgot to use my setting lotion and my hair took twice as long to dry and the curls did not last as long.

KhandiB

When I use setting lotion it usually takes longer to dry, I will use a Leave in and some Oil Sheen and that works for me

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I've tried both setting lotions & leave-in's and I think that the leave-in is the best option for my rollerset. The setting lotion might be a better option for the flexi-rod set because it may hold the curl longer than the leave-in.