Is it really bad to wear hair out?

cutiepiesensei

I ask because I'm afraid of bunning lol. I feel like on my relaxed ends, it may be too much stress since the only way I can get a decent bun is to do a sock bun --> which requires pinning my hair down or using and elastic on my ends. This week, I moisturized every night very well, sealed every other night, and for the most part wore my hair out with my clip-ins, or in a claw clip also with my clip ins. I really didn't see that much breakage. In fact, I think I saw MORE breakage when I was trying to manipulate my hair up into a bun and pin it down. Maybe it's just me though. I almost think I might fair better with my hair being out. Is this possible?

westNDNbeauty

I think it totally depends on the person and what is best for your everyday life. Hair does not always have to be put away to see growth. There are some who wear their hair out everyday and experience no set backs.

kila82

westNDNbeauty said:
I think it totally depends on the person and what is best for your everyday life. Hair does not always have to be put away to see growth. There are some who wear their hair out everyday and experience no set backs.

I agree.

Also there are other ways to protect ur hair without putting it in a bun. U can braid ur hair up and wear a half wig or try a phony pony or bun. When I had shorter hair I experimented with different updos by using Bobby pins and little clips. That way the my ends were protected from the cold air and my hair still looked cute

candy626

I'm not a big fan of bunning. My hair does better in ponytail or loose updo styles. I see my tangles from everyday bunning.

And wearing hair down is not bad. Because your hair is exposed to the elements more, I do feel like dusting/trimming is needed more regularly. But I feel like I've had good growth from wearing it down, I just try to put it up if I am doing anything that will cause friction to my ends (lying down in bed, wearing a coat with non hair friendly fabric, etc.)

cutiepiesensei

well currently my hair is not even SL, so when I wrap and just wear it down, while my extensions to all the brushing on my shoulders, my actually hair doesn't at all. But for some reason when I try to do buns, I get breakage :( I might keep wearing it down like I was before until it gets to SL. At that point I'll be able to work a cute ponytail since that's the point where my hair will actually be able to touch my clothing. At any rate, it seems like my main problem was too much heat and not moisturizing nightly, which I do now. The breakage I had with that bun last night scared me, so I will wear it down all next week and see how it does. A couple of weeks ago before I got all my split ends cut, I wore it for an entire week with just leave in conditioner everyday covered up in a cute cap. No hair exposed. And let me tell you, I had tons of breakage at the end of the week :( My hair doesn't like being put up too much apparently lol

greenandchic

When I wear my hair out, I find I have to moisturize and seal daily - at least moisturize the ends daily with a leave-in. In some ways its better for my hair that way that bunning it and keeping the ends tucked away where I can't care for them much.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
The only time I think you should really avoid wearing your hair down is from SL - APL, because that's when your ends are going to meet with the most friction.
Past APL, or before SL, I don't think it's as necessary, unless you just have fragile hair.

kupenda

Oh. Well if your hair doesn't rub against your shoulders yet, you're fine! Yes there is cold air. But I think you'll be fine dear

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

regina07

I think you need to find what works for you. To me, the point is to reduce friction and stress on my most fragile areas (normally the ends). I bun because 1) I like buns, 2) I'm lazy and bunning is easy, and 3) when I wear my hair out, I play in it ALOT. I guess I'm PS'ing against myself more than anything.

HHG!

koolkittychick

The only time I think you should really avoid wearing your hair down is from SL - APL, because that's when your ends are going to meet with the most friction.
Past APL, or before SL, I don't think it's as necessary, unless you just have fragile hair.

I agree. I lost a year of progress because I insisted on trying to look cute with my hair out or in tight ponytails at that length. Now that I've learned how to properly wash and moisturize and to PS in a way that works for me, APL should be within my reach by the end of the year, and hopefully I can have more fun with my hair! :yep:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
OP buns do not agree with me either. My hair goes into some silly shock because breakage is unbelievable when I fuss with buns. I love them but I can only take the chance of bunning twice a month. That's it.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
My problem with wearing my hair out is that the right side breaks off where I wear my purse. The left side of my hair was a full three inches longer than the right, back side. It hurt so much to even it up. Now I try to carry my purse in the crook of my elbow or wear my hair up.

katblack

I am beginning to think that ps are not the only way to achieve long hair. I think alot of people lose length while detangling, during their wash days. I know for myself, I have constantly been rough with my hair only to roll my eyes at her thinking "well if you didn't produce all dem ssk's ;p". NOW, I know that I really have to be careful. I wash my hair in braids, and I detangle outside of the shower in a comfortable position. I know I be gett'n impatient stand'n up detangling my curlies.

Anyways, I also must chime in and say that buns do nothing more than create tangles for me. They never really work, unless my hair is stretched out, even then my hair is prone to knotting and eventually breaking on itself.

cutiepiesensei

did a couple of passes today (wash day) with the flat iron. No serious breakage as opposed to when I tried to PS. Soooo idk if it's just me, but it seems like my hair enjoys looking cute and out I guess. I also say the same for heat. In the past, I have tried to airdry but my ends always end up dry/crispy. If I blowdry on low temp after a good DC, I don't get breakage and my hair feels soft :/ It's like everything I'm learning on here to NOT do, my hair wants to do. Stupid petty hair lol