Calling all BSL's and beyond: I can't wear buns and I'm seeing breakage due to clips.

hillytmj

Hello ladies,
I"m BSL now, and I need some serious protective style advice. I think hair clips are giving me breakage in the back "underneath" the area where you clip it. Didn't notice this until after getting my relaxer last week.

In addition to stopping the breakage, my concern is what can I do for a protective style? I've tried bunning in the past, even recently, but my hair is layered so the layers stick up out of my bun. Plus, my ends come out krinkly and I worry that will my put stress on my hair and lead to breakage. I don't saturate my ends with moisture becuase I need the flexibility to wear it down on some days during the week for important meetings, etc. I just moisturize and seal at night with Mizhani Rose Water and olive oil.

I just reached this length for the first time in my adult life, and I don't want to lose it due to breakage. What can I do to protect it during the day?

Attachments

• Same day - another shot.jpg
    Same day - another shot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 49

soonergirl

Re: Calling all BSL's and beyond: I can't wear buns and I'm seeing breakage due to cl

Hey there, my little scraggly ends are now touching my bra sooooo Im claiming it... Any hoo, I use good day hair clips when bunning and havent noticed breakage.. I also put my bun in different spots too to not casue wear and tear....

hillytmj

Re: Calling all BSL's and beyond: I can't wear buns and I'm seeing breakage due to cl

Hey there, my little scraggly ends are now touching my bra sooooo Im claiming it... Any hoo, I use good day hair clips when bunning and havent noticed breakage.. I also put my bun in different spots too to not casue wear and tear....

Thanks Sooner girl. I know you feel me about "finally" reaching BSL. I didn't consider the brand of clips, but you're right. In the past, I've always the Goody clips with no problem. As far as buns, your hair looks layered too. How do you prevent any hairs from sticking out the buns?

soonergirl

I twist and roll the ends under.. I make sure they are heavily moisturized too so that hair doesnt creep out... The good day hair clips and goody hair clips are different.. You can get the good day hair clips at sally's they come in clear and brown. hth:yep:

MissMusic

I twist my hair before bunning and I also use Good Day's Hair Pins. Plus, Flexi-8 Clips make it so there's not stress anywhere and you don't get the crinkle that buns give.

Finewine

I use the foam doughnut to make my bun and just loosely wrap my hair around it. It prevents the crinkles b/c my hair is moreso wrapped around than tucked under it. Your bun is gonna look HUGE with it, but it's still pretty.
not sure if this makes sense.

Also, have you tried stillalady's twisted bun? It seems like that should lessen or prevent the crinkled ends problem.

smoothie696

iam not bsl, but if you make a doughnut bun and then put a hair net over it it will hold the shorter hairs in place.

truequeen06

To give my hair a break from bunning with elastic bands I usually braid in one big braid in the back and pin the ends under with a bobby pin

hillytmj

I twist my hair before bunning and I also use Good Day's Hair Pins. Plus, Flexi-8 Clips make it so there's not stress anywhere and you don't get the crinkle that buns give.

Where can I find Flexi-8 clips. Thanks again for the advice.

nappystorm

Try a loose french braid. I do individual braids too