Is it just me or do cornrows tangle up your hair something terrible?

Caramela

Last time I had cornrows it was for about two weeks and when I took them down my hair was a nightmare to detangle.

I'm going on vacation in about a month to the Carribbean and cornrows would be the easiest thing, but I can't risk the tangling again.

I'm considering phony pony by day and a lux wig by night.

bellecheveux

You know what, I only had one instance where cornrows I had in effed up my hair. I wore a half wig and had cornrows underneath. I only had them in for ONE day and my hair was a tangled mess!! I thought it was just the way my friend braided my hair...

temfash

Last time I had cornrows it was for about two weeks and when I took them down my hair was a nightmare to detangle.

I'm going on vacation in about a month to the Carribbean and cornrows would be the easiest thing, but I can't risk the tangling again.

I'm considering phony pony by day and a lux wig by night.

No matter how I take care of canerows my hair is always matted. I always have serious itchiness ( could be due to the fact that they are close to the scalp) I stay away from them personally.

bellebebe

It's not just you. I get dreads every time I take out my braids. It took me 2 days to take them out lol.... But, I did!!

Nonie

I don't find them tangling, but again my hair may not be as long as yours. But when I braid, I'm constantly smoothing my hair down the direction of the cuticle, so strands stay parallel. Also I only wear them for a week or less though, so I probably haven't had to deal w/ a lot of shedding--which might be the problem you are all having. I also don't apply products, except maybe S-Curl on the day I braid to help with running a comb through it to part and comb...and so maybe I don't get fluff caught in the hair from it being sticky as much as if I used more products?

SheenaVee

YES! i had my hair in cornrows about 2 weeks ago and when i took them out my hair was overly tangled! i thought it was just coz im transistioning.

Caramela

Glad to know that it's not just me! So my decision is made. I will be staying away from the cornrows this time around!

Soliel185

I've had 3 sets this summer and so far no issues...I usually wear a braidout for the 2-3 days following taking them out just b/c it's so easy since all the work's already been done, and then I don't actually detangle, until I wash and condition again.

Were you detangling dry? Or while the hair was still all crinkled from the braids?

Caramela

I've had 3 sets this summer and so far no issues...I usually wear a braidout for the 2-3 days following taking them out just b/c it's so easy since all the work's already been done, and then I don't actually detangle, until I wash and condition again.

Were you detangling dry? Or while the hair was still all crinkled from the braids?

I washed and conditioned and it was tangled afterwards. A matted disaster is more like it.

Mook's hair

WOW! It's interesting to learn that so many are having that issue.
I am a big fan of cornrows. I wear them 80% of the time and I never have problems with tangles.
I have 4a/b hair. I'm transitioning. I do my own cornrows. I wear them for about 2 weeks each time. (sometimes less)
I do apply moisturizers to my cornrows.
I do apply oils to my scalp.
I can say that if you do find yourself with matted or tangled hair post braid removal, Coconut Milk may help the problem.

PassionFruit

the only time I have tangles post cornrows is when I have slacked at moisturizing... as my hair gets longer I make sure my hair is moist when I take the braids out ( like I take a shower, wet my hair and take my braids out an hour or 2 later.. or I spritz with a moisturizer then take em out)

caramelty

I don't have tangles if I moisturize properly, keep my hair oiled when I get ready to take them out I use my fingers first and finger pull and knotted hair apart. What I have learned is I must comb my hair all the way out before washing. NOT DOING THAT CAN BE COSTLY!

kurlybella

this never happens to me. i live in cornrows too. i guess i'm lucky. but i do moisturize them like crazy while i have them in so maybe that may have something to do with it?? i also comb my hair out reeealll good before i start to cornrow them.

come to think of it, the ONLY time i had tangles was when i tried to wash my hair and go straight from the shower and just part and braid my hair with little combing -- lawd it was ugly getting them things out!

SweetAKA

I learned that moisture is the key when taking out any kind of braids. I keep my little spray bottle handy with whatever moisturizer I plan to use and I just soak my head in it while taking out the braids. I learned that it's also best for me, to use a wide tooth comb to gently comb out my hair before getting it wet. This way all the hair that has shed while my hair was in braids can come out a not get matted during washing.

discobiscuits

I've never had that problem. I also do my own cornrows. I've never had matted hair or tangles. Usually I will corn row my hair, leave it in for 1-2 weeks (rinsing or COwashing every couple of days) and the day of or the day before I re-cornrow I wear a braid out.

I'm like NONIE, I smooth while cornrowing. For me, the smoother the hair before thre corn rows the better & easier the take down. Also, I only use my hair. The few times I used extension braid hair, I try to get a similar texture as my hair.