Is everybody going natural?

Enyo

2014 marks my 15th year being natural. My last relaxer happened when I was a senior in high school, and I've never looked back. I kind of knew when I initially stop relaxing my hair that it was never going to be chemically altered again. I love the fact that I can have big fluffy hair one day and straight silky hair the next. Nothing about having a chemical relaxer appeals to me.

I don't have an issue with relaxed hair. It doesn't work for me as an individual, but I don't care what other people do nor do I care what they think about me.

LuciaAbigail

I love Jeni over at Just Grow Already and fully support her going natural. To me, it seemed like she hardcore PSed, used no heat, and stretched to get to WL...to keep protective styling, not use heat, and stretch! Having her hair done 3-4 weeks a year may work for her, but it would never have worked for me. Once I reach MBL, I'll continue taking good care of my hair, but I intend to enjoy my hair. And to me enjoy = wear it down. I see girls, not just Jeni, running around slicking down 20 weeks of new growth even though they've reached their hair goals. For why? At that point, you may as we'll be a pressed natural.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Who says she was "running around slicking down" 20 weeks worth of newgrowth? What does that mean? She can't have nice stretching hairstyles?

I stretch for 20 weeks at a time with no slicking involved. I don't like heat even though I know my hair can take it. I love they way my hair looks whether it's bone straight freshly relaxed or 20+ weeks post.

I love Jeni over at Just Grow Already and fully support her going natural. To me, it seemed like she hardcore PSed, used no heat, and stretched to get to WL...to keep protective styling, not use heat, and stretch! Having her hair done 3-4 weeks a year may work for her, but it would never have worked for me. Once I reach MBL, I'll continue taking good care of my hair, but I intend to enjoy my hair. And to me enjoy = wear it down. I see girls, not just Jeni, running around slicking down 20 weeks of new growth even though they've reached their hair goals. For why? At that point, you may as we'll be a pressed natural.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

brownb83

Im really shocked. I would be lying if I said It didn't make me feel some way.

The one thing I don't like though is that once many ytubers go natural now they express that they hated relaxing or hated their relaxed hair.

But they never expressed this previously. I understand that you love your natural hair but for years your relaxed hair was the devil?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen

The one thing I don't like though is that once many ytubers go natural now they express that they hated relaxing or hated their relaxed hair.

But they never expressed this previously. I understand that you love your natural hair but for years your relaxed hair was the devil?

brownb83

Which YTer said that?

Ebony said she can't get past BSL without the need to cut back.

Traycee stated she had scalp burns and scabs in her last two relaxer updates.

Jennifer is being supportive of her mother's journey and showing her that it can be done.

ETA: I think that Traycee should probably try getting her relaxer professionally done, once her scalp has had a chance to heal in lieu of transitioning and DIYing.

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Who says she was "running around slicking down" 20 weeks worth of newgrowth? What does that mean? She can't have nice stretching hairstyles?

I stretch for 20 weeks at a time with no slicking involved. I don't like heat even though I know my hair can take it. I love they way my hair looks whether it's bone straight freshly relaxed or 20+ weeks post.

sunnieb

She is not stating that all stretchers slick down their new growth. Jenny does slick down her edges/perimeter with her fingers, product and a scarf. However, it doesn't matter, it's probably a styling preference.

bydebra

I think some of the shady comments in here are illustrative of why some of these ladies relaxed for so long. Traycee mentioned the pressure she felt as a hair vlogger to stay relaxed. I can imagine so. I am a nobody on YouTube, but I had people emailing me about relaxed hair and DM'ing me on IG with relaxed hair questions. (Which I didn't mind answering.) But, the feeling that I needed to be a relaxed hair inspiration of some sort made me feel pressured to stay relaxed longer than I would have.

Even IRL, I told a friend I was thinking of big chopping soon. She told me, "Please don't do that. There are not a lot of black girls with long, straight hair." A lot of people in my real life are more attached to my hair than I am and that made me put off transitioning. My point is that each person's hair journey is different.

For me, it has nothing to do with a bandwagon. I set a goal loooong ago to go natural after I reached BSL relaxed. I reached that mark. Shortly after, I experienced a setback from major stress and poor styling choices. I decided at that point that there was no use in getting relaxers any longer. I was already a long term stretcher and I'm ready to do something new and different for me.

brownb83

brownb83

Which YTer said that?

Ebony said she can't get past BSL without the need to cut back.

Traycee stated she had scalp burns and scabs in her last two relaxer updates.

Jennifer is being supportive of her mother's journey and showing her that it can be done.

ETA: I think that Traycee should probably try getting her relaxer professionally done, once her scalp has had a chance to heal in lieu of transitioning and DIYing.

Ytubers i wacthed in the past. And I have wacthed traycee I don't recall her ever talking about scalp burns. But she said it's recent.

It's still true though. Its plenty of ytube naturals that dog relaxers. Some of those coments under all three vids show many peoples true feelings about relaxed hair.

And i understand relaxer situations gone bad can make someone go natural. But why the need for some in the past to have these extremes when it comes to how their natural vs relaxed hair is?

Last edited:

AnjelLuvs

I did love my relaxer about 2 washes after getting that crack, Lol.. The swang was on overload... Most if not all people are telling me to keep these scaggy ends, because when I do flatiron it is long... :perplexed, or even if I do a twistout.... Like no dont BC...

MyAngelEyez~C~U

It wasn't until I went natural that I figured out why my hair broke off from relaxers. I have different textures all over my head, but was leaving the relaxer in the same amount of time. I would have never figured that out if I hadn't went back to natural hair. I never paid attention to the texture of my new growth when I was relaxed, just knew when it grew in, I had to relax it. If I ever go back to relaxers, I think I'd have more success because I figured that out. But I like my natural hair, so I don't see that happening, lol.

sunnieb

Where are the shady comments?

Looks like a civil convo to me.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
brownb83
Man I Missed My Hair and Relaxer Update: http://youtu.be/XsTg1FpjrnE

This is one of the videos were she mentions the scalp burns and scabs. It's also the one that lead me to believe maybe, she should try getting it professionally done by someone she trusts or that is lhcf approved.

Also, I think if the relaxer your currently using works for your hair and scalp that you shouldn't hop around trying different brands and switching from lye to no lye etc. Unless they change the formula or something. Leave the PJism to DCs, LIs, and oils.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

spelmanlocks

I also notice a lot of people who never had a relaxed hair regimen and then go natural and when their hair thrives, blame relaxing. :perplexed

I had a good regimen while relaxing. I wad natural until I was 21 which is how and why I first sought out lhcf. I made it to mbl but my hair started breaking. I moved to another state and couldn't find my usual relaxer and it all went downhill from there. My hair kept breaking so I went natural.

sunnieb

@sunnieb :look:

Perhaps you missed the "bandwagon" comment and the comment about relaxed hair women going natural as a business opportunity.

simplydebra guess I'm showing my LHCF age. I didn't see those comments as shade, but can appreciate and understand how you do.

I do remember a young lady who was natural and relaxed for the sole purpose of showing her subscribers how to transition. Anybody remember that? There was shade all in that thread, but my opinion was that there was a market for that type of info. :look:

PJaye

Just my opinion.

Question: If it’s acceptable for women to follow the “how you got him is how you keep him” mantra with respect to their DHs and SOs, why would it be objectionable to do the same thing with one’s hair? If following a set routine is what it took for a person to grow their hair, it stands to reason that it would take the same amount of effort to maintain what they’ve grown. IMO, it would be illogical for an individual to discard a proven methodology once their hair has reached a certain length. Again, IMO, that seems to be a recipe for set backs and bawlheadedness.

A few more questions: Why is slicking back 20 weeks worth of new growth intolerable? How does it differ from slicking back a natural head of hair? How does having a penchant towards slicking back one’s hair translate into being a straight-haired natural? How did you arrive at point B from point A? I don’t get it.

Additionally, this notion that one cannot truly enjoy their hair unless its elaborately styled or worn out/down must die. I enjoy the hell out of my perpetual ponytails and buns.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
sunnieb :look:

Perhaps you missed the "bandwagon" comment and the comment about relaxed hair women going natural as a business opportunity.

simplydebra

If you're referring to my comments about a business opportunity. You mis read and/or understood .

A lot of people are complaining that these ladies transitioning will leave a void for relaxed heads. If that's the case, then now is a good time for another relaxed head who has no intention of transitioning anytime soon or ever to jump in and create a YT channel, geared towards relaxed ladies. Provided they have the things I mentioned. They could be successful building a brand and following.

They should strike at the most opportune time.

How is that throwing shade?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Last edited:

bydebra

@simplydebra guess I'm showing my LHCF age. I didn't see those comments as shade, but can appreciate and understand how you do.

I do remember a young lady who was natural and relaxed for the sole purpose of showing her subscribers how to transition. Anybody remember that? There was shade all in that thread, but my opinion was that there was a market for that type of info. :look:

sunnieb No problem. I just saw it a little differently. I didn't see that thread, but I know Lisa Akbari did that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNJnbHTrWA

MileHighDiva If that is how you meant it, I did interpret your comment incorrectly. Thanks for clarifying.

BranwenRosewood

Additionally, this notion that one cannot truly enjoy their hair unless its elaborately styled or worn out/down must die. I enjoy the hell out of my perpetual ponytails and buns.

I agree. I'm growing my hair out because I want to wear ponytails and buns. Short hair is too high maintenance for me. Just because someones hair isn't swinging in the breeze does not mean they aren't enjoying it.

AmiJay

I think some of the shady comments in here are illustrative of why some of these ladies relaxed for so long. Traycee mentioned the pressure she felt as a hair vlogger to stay relaxed. I can imagine so. I am a nobody on YouTube, but I had people emailing me about relaxed hair and DM'ing me on IG with relaxed hair questions. (Which I didn't mind answering.) But, the feeling that I needed to be a relaxed hair inspiration of some sort made me feel pressured to stay relaxed longer than I would have.

Even IRL, I told a friend I was thinking of big chopping soon. She told me, "Please don't do that. There are not a lot of black girls with long, straight hair." A lot of people in my real life are more attached to my hair than I am and that made me put off transitioning. My point is that each person's hair journey is different.

For me, it has nothing to do with a bandwagon. I set a goal loooong ago to go natural after I reached BSL relaxed. I reached that mark. Shortly after, I experienced a setback from major stress and poor styling choices. I decided at that point that there was no use in getting relaxers any longer. I was already a long term stretcher and I'm ready to do something new and different for me.

I noticed too that once a lot of people were able to achieve long healthy relaxed hair, they transition or bc. I see at as achieving a goal.

FelaShrine

.there's no time you wtch luvmegz video or witty etc and there arent people asking "why wont you relax" "when are you gonna relax like there isnt a million natchals on yt already

:yep: anyway Ive been deleting blogs and unsubscribing left and right :drunk:

FoxxyLocs

Hindsight is 20/20.

EnExitStageLeft

YOU SAID THAT! and took the words right out of my mouth. Going natural is an personal decision and frankly I support them all. I can't even imagine the pressure they felt.

Last edited:

Babygrowth

When I saw that they were all going natural I was like dang! What am I going to do now? It was selfish of me but that's how I felt. I was natural before and could be again. Its really however I feel at the moment. But I love all hair and can do straight sleek styles and big fluffy styles all on my relaxed/texlaxed hair.
I will still follow them to a certain degree. But I ain't transitioning or big chopping no time soon.

Shelew

I am on vaca in the Virgin Islands and I am transitioning with about a third relaxed hair left and boy do I see why relaxers were invented!!! My pulled back pony tail can't even stop being puffed. I see where braiding can be your best friend. Wow the humidity here is powerful!!!

Britt

I am on vaca in the Virgin Islands and I am transitioning with about a third relaxed hair left and boy do I see why relaxers were invented!!! My pulled back pony tail can't even stop being puffed. I see where braiding can be your best friend. Wow the humidity here is powerful!!!

That's gonna be me next month in JA. Been thinking about it for a while. I am currently a week shy of 15 months post and was thinking of big chopping in time for vacay but I've already cut off some areas in the back of my head and due to shrinkage I don't think I'm ready now to chop off the rest. If I do, I will get some twists/braids for vacay. I have mostly natural hair at this point in most areas of my head.

atlien11

Happily natural. it was rough at first but its helped me redefine what i see as beautiful and how i see myself. Living in atlanta has got me brainwashed that "beautiful" was Porsha-esqe long mermaid weave and lots of makeup.

Last edited: