Is everybody going natural?

AmiJay

Jenny from Justgrowalready, Ebony C Princess, Tracy from KISS and Sdestra are all going natural! All of them do crazy stretches anyway so might as well!

OT: I was in Target tonight and I always go into the hair care aisle and they only had 2 different brands of relaxers. Then went to CVS and they had like 4 different relaxers. A couple of years ago there would've been more to choose from.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Seems like it, I had no idea Tracey was going natural. Her hair is so long! I'm glad I didn't have too much length to get rid of. I think I might have remained relaxed if it were too long.

AmiJay

Honestly it seems like the key to long and healthy relaxed hair is stretching for long periods so why not go natural?

H0tPinkButtafly

Yea I just watched the video and in the comments shorty2sweet said she was going natural too. Im transitioning myself so I'm looking forward to seeing their new videos

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Traycee is going natural??? I must be behind. Lemme go check youTube.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Jenny from Justgrowalready, Ebony C Princess, Tracy from KISS and Sdestra are all going natural! All of them do crazy stretches anyway so might as well! OT: I was in Target tonight and I always go into the hair care aisle and they only had 2 different brands of relaxers. Then went to CVS and they had like 4 different relaxers. A couple of years ago there would've been more to choose from.

funny. I remember when I was considering transitioning, Traycee was transitioning to texlaxed with three textures on her head. Then quit. When I started transitioning the first time, Ebony started to consider then quit. And then so did I. LOL

Finally, I just stuck with it and now I'm fully natural. It's amazing to think if they had kept going when they started, they'd be done by now. No judgements..... I am just reflecting on my own journey and I can say I'm glad I stuck with it. Kinda like I get a chance to live that saying "every journey begins with a step" and "if you don't start, you will never get there" and "in a year you will look back and wish you started today".

It took me two years of 10-12 month stretches to make me see that I needed to just go natural. The way I preferred my hair (straight) was something I only got to really enjoy for about 3-4 weeks of the year. The rest of the time I was hiding and stretching. I finally said "forget this! What's the point?"

I'm interested to see how these ladies who I admire handle the transition this time around. I wish them luck! ;)

mz.rae

Wow I'm shocked Traycee is going natural! I remember how a few years back she was saying she wished she could wear her hair natural, but her texture was hard to deal with. I'm glad she is finally taking that plunge. Can't wait to see her natural videos! She really helped me a lot when I was relaxed and starting my hair journey.

Last edited:

Rozlewis

I just watched all of their videos, Sdestra, EbonyCPrincess, and Tracey. I am happy for them. I would like to go natural but I am not sure I can take care of my natural hair as well as I can the relaxed hair but lI think it it is an evolution. For those who do long stretches, I think there comes a time when you question the purpose of relaxing. I think texlaxing is beneficial in many ways because it gives you a chance to get familiar with dealing with textured hair. Then when you blend texlaxing with long stretches you are dealing with your texture more than not so why not go natural. I wish these ladies the best. I have learned so much from them about my relaxed hair now I'm looking forward to learning about natural hair.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I just watched all of their videos, Sdestra, EbonyCPrincess, and Tracey. I am happy for them. I would like to go natural but I am not sure I can take care of my natural hair as well as I can the relaxed hair but lI think it it is an evolution. For those who do long stretches, I think there comes a time when you question the purpose of relaxing. I think texlaxing is beneficial in many ways because it gives you a chance to get familiar with dealing with textured hair. Then when you blend texlaxing with long stretches you are dealing with your texture more than not so why not go natural. I wish these ladies the best. I have learned so much from them about my relaxed hair now I'm looking forward to learning about natural hair.

This was me. I started texlaxing and then stretching along with the texlaxing for long periods of time....finally I was like "why am I spending $100 on relaxer at a salon and my hair is still breaking on the ends once I hit bsl?...forget it". Lol

Guinan

Re-Branding
It def seems like everyone is either natural or going natural. IRL, I'm the only one at my job who still uses relaxers.

Me personally, I haven't made my decision yet if I wanna go natural. So until I decide, I've stopped relaxing.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
:yahoo: I'm excited for all of them! I think she'll be able to make it past BSL now, without the need to cut back to APL each time.

Beamodel

I'm not natural. I love my relaxed hair. I do the same exact stuff to my relaxed hair that naturals do to their hair and I have healthy relaxed strands.

Britt

I just watched Traycee's video and she looks really nervous about it. I can tell she thought longgggg and hard about her decision.

A friend of mine whose been relaxed for at least 30 years and has beautiful relaxed hair asked me why I'm going natural. She doesn't quite get people are doing so. I told her honestly it's something I've thought about for a few years and was scared to do. I was scared of how I would look and more importantly dreaded the entire transitioning process.

The impetus for my desire has been hair health and quality. My hair for the past few years have thinned out, just changed all together with each relaxer. The integrity of my relaxed hair IMO and others who know me have noticed had just diminished. My relaxed hair is very different than even the relaxed hair I had when I joined this board. I think my hair was telling me it's finally tired of being relaxed. I remember going with a friend to get twa in 09' and it's like I lived vicariously through her. I'd look at other naturals and could see myself with big fluffy hair in due time.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

doll-baby

I was natural 3 years ago but then went back to the relaxer. I preferred to wear my hair straight so I was always pressing it out and doing more damage to my hair than a relaxer. In it's natural state my hair was time consuming and hard to comb through. ORS has a new straightening and strengthening treatment that I might try. Depending on how well it keeps my newgrowth from reverting I may start using that instead of a relaxer.

Beamodel

I was natural 3 years ago but then went back to the relaxer. I preferred to wear my hair straight so I was always pressing it out and doing more damage to my hair than a relaxer. In it's natural state my hair was time consuming and hard to comb through. ORS has a new straightening and strengthening treatment that I might try. Depending on how well it keeps my newgrowth from reverting I may start using that instead of a relaxer.

Thts interesting. I didn't know about ORS new system. I will look it up. Thanks for the info

sunnieb

Honestly it seems like the key to long and healthy relaxed hair is stretching for long periods so why not go natural?

Honestly, it's because we don't want to.

I want long and healthy relaxed hair and stretching will get me there. For some, stretching is more trouble than it's worth so they don't do it and they have long hair.

And since relaxing is no longer a death sentence keeping hair at a broken SL, why not relax?

sharifeh

I probably would've kept my relaxed hair if I was able to stretch. The long stretches killed my hair and I couldn't pass BSL relaxed. Another issue I had with relaxed hair was that I felt like I could only enjoy my hair for two or three weeks after a fresh relaxer then it was trying to tame my new growth for the next 2 months until the next relaxer. That was always annoying too
We'll see... I'm still really nervous about going natural and I'm looking back every step of the way. But I really think I can grow to longer lengths if I stop relaxing. I did love my relaxed hair though

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
I probably would've kept my relaxed hair if I was able to stretch. The long stretches killed my hair and I couldn't pass BSL relaxed. Another issue I had with relaxed hair was that I felt like I could only enjoy my hair for two or three weeks after a fresh relaxer then it was trying to tame my new growth for the next 2 months until the next relaxer. That was always annoying too
We'll see... I'm still really nervous about going natural and I'm looking back every step of the way. But I really think I can grow to longer lengths if I stop relaxing. I did love my relaxed hair though

The bolded is what made me decide to go natural. It didn't make sense to me anymore to relax my hair, only to enjoy the fresh relaxer look for a month before new growth came in. I stretched for 4-5 months, didn't use heat and couldn't rollerset, so I had to work with my natural texture most of the time anyway.

LexiDior

These are the relaxed heads I look up to so im hurt. Oh well, im still going to relax and be happy with my mane.

NaturallyATLPCH

There are still quite a few relaxed heads around me. :yep:

I am natural but when it gets to a certain length, who knows?

But I do love my natural hair though. Even relaxed, I just like big hair.

Healthy hair can be achieved relaxed or natural. I've always had healthy relaxed hair, but I love the ease of natural.

I think it's just a personal preference.

LexiDior

There are still quite a few relaxed heads around me. :yep:

I am natural but when it gets to a certain length, who knows?

But I do love my natural hair though. Even relaxed, I just like big hair.

Healthy hair can be achieved relaxed or natural. I've always had healthy relaxed hair, but I love the ease of natural.

I think it's just a personal preference.

It really is. I had someone tell me on Youtube that I should go natural. I dont want too, its that simple really.

cutiebe2

I am natural and I follow a few relaxed ladies because of their beautiful healthy hair. I didn't even realize JustGrowAlready was going natural until two weeks ago because she is always in a stretch. Their hair looks great either way so I can see the long stretches being a big reason why they decided to go natural

BFeathers

For me if the Hairlicious lady can have full, lush relaxed hair than it's possible.

There's an idea or an unspoken taken for fact that the only way to have healthy long hair is to go natural then texlax or natural for a year or so then relax again. IMO that's a little bs for me.

I can finally tame and do my hair and very very little heat and stretching is doing wonders for my hair. I've always had healthy relaxed hair that never went past shoulder because I was busting out the curling iron and flat iron every more. Honestly every single morning because I like straight hair and my ends bumped under with body. That bumping kept sizzling them off.

Roller setting and stretching has grown my hair super fast and I'm going to keep doing that then switch to a sew in for up to 6 months then back and so forth.

I doubt Hairlicious will go natural so I just watch her head rather than the bandwagoners

Queensheba88

I'm back relaxed after a 10 month transition and 8 months natural and from my experience being completely natural was a lot different from my 6 month stretches...taking care of 2 inches of new growth was a lot easier then trying to properly moisturize and style a head full of 4c hair I loved the look but the maintenance was way too much for me....it was easier having healthy relaxed hair natural is NOT for everyone

Joigirl

I have been relaxed and natural several times. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I hated flat ironing my relaxed hair and I hated the battle with dandruff. Styling was quick and easy.
Natural hair is more dynamic and fun. It is also more time consuming. Although when I factor in the time spent in the salon, maybe not by much.

My concern with relaxers began when my mom started going through menopause. After years of relaxing and the hormonal changes that come with aging, her thick beautiful mane started thinning. Her crown is very thin even now that she is a straight natural. I don't want the same thing to happen to me so I dropped the relaxers early and will deal with the natural thinning process when it comes. I don't want the relaxers to hasten it.

greenandchic

It seems everyone is going natural when I went the opposite direction after never being relaxed. :lol: I was honestly soooo done with my natural hair. I hope I'll still have relaxed hair gurus to follow by the end of the year!

overtherainbow

I work in a very niche creative industry where nearly everyone is natural, and they expect everyone else to be natural too. :ohwell: So from my perspective, it seems that everyone around me is already natural or wearing natural styles as they transition (twists, kinky weaves/wigs). I'm not gonna lie, I find it kind of bizarre because no one in my work environment even straightens their hair anymore, as if it's taboo. It's a shame because I love my natural hair, but I also admire healthy relaxed hair too.