Is biotin safe

katie

I want to start taking 4mg of biotin a day but I have no idea if there is a toxicity level.
Also I read in a post about biotin causing erratic heartbeats for some ppl and throwing off the menstrual cycle.That sounds bad to me.
Can anyone who has taken over 3 mg of biotin please repsond and tell me if they had negative side effects?or if they just got tons of growth

Peachtree

Katie, welcome to the board
Well I certainly hope that it is safe. Currently I'm taking 5 mg...I've been on it for 3 wks. I have had no side effects, although I'm still new to the vit.

I am far from being experienced on this topic, but from what I've read on the net & here, biotin is water soluable, meaning that it will not "build up" to become toxic. All that your body doesn't need / use will get passed out via urine, sweat, etc.

> Sister's here on biotin, help me out if I'm wrong.... <

BTW, I have recvd a lot of growth since beginning my vit regime

NAY007

i took 5 mg for a couple of weeks and it did make my hair grow but it also broke my skin out, so i stopped.

ny2atl

Peachtree is right. Your body uses what it needs and passes the rest daily. That's a good thing. BUTTT... since you really don't know how much you're passing, you may be wasting more than you're using. That's the only gamble.
No toxicity. I've also been taking 5,000 mcg of biotin for a little more than a month and I've DEFINITELY had increased growth.

If there were concerns of toxicity, I wouldn't even take the risk ... hair growth or no hair growth.

Good luck with your hair!

kreeme

[ QUOTE ]
i took 5 mg for a couple of weeks and it did make my hair grow but it also broke my skin out, so i stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am having the same problem. At first I noticed dry patches of skin on my wrists. It started about a week after I started taking the 5mg of Biotin. I kept putting lotion on it, so I didn't think anything of it because my hair has gotten a lot thicker. Then the other night, I don't know what made me turn around in the mirror, but I looked at my butt and it was all broken out! I almost died, because I didn't know it was there because I'm always putting lotion all over when I get out of the shower. I had to bend over and show my husband so he could tell me how bad it looked.
I'm sure my butt being broken out is not very attractive from the rear view
So I'm cutting back on the Biotin...hopefully things will get "back" to normal. I just hate to cut it out completely because my hair is definitely enjoying the results.

kreeme

[ QUOTE ]
When u guy say broken out - do you mean pimples? Or dry rashes?

I'm confused....

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like a dry rash. I've NEVER had this problem before I started taking Biotin. Now my girlfriend says that she breaks out in pimples.

honeycomb719

I think the Xtra biotin I've been taking has been the cause of these itching spells I have. My scalp, arms, everywhere has started itching alot since I uped my biotin intake by 1200mcg.
It's not as bad as it was the first week, but I still get the itchies everynow and then, but no rashes. Just redness and small bumps that go away when I stop scratchin

kreeme

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Xtra biotin I've been taking has been the cause of these itching spells I have. My scalp, arms, everywhere has started itching alot since I uped my biotin intake by 1200mcg.
It's not as bad as it was the first week, but I still get the itchies everynow and then, but no rashes. Just redness and small bumps that go away when I stop scratchin

[/ QUOTE ]

My wrists itch really bad if I don't keep them lubed up. But since I've cut back on the dosage, they don't itch as bad anymore.