Interfaith Marriage

The Bible also says no too, so it just isn't Christian ministers that say it.

I was surprised at this statement: "I think it's about wether religion is a core issue or not."

In the life of a Christian, their faith is supposed to be the most core aspect of their life.

However, looking at how Christianity is practiced these days, maybe I should be more surprised if it were.

I agree with your comments, Alexstin... later :)

BerrySweet said:
Are Catholics not Christians?

I wasnt raised to believe that. Although I do now, to some extent. I look at the application of the doctrine in the person's life, somethings just dont mesh for me. For example, saying the rosary and the methods of baptism as a child rather than a conscious decision as an adult with other Christian faiths.

Seriously though, I would encourage any Christian women to seek a man who mirrors her walk with God. know what I mean? someone who you can grow with.

My Christian walk hasnt been a core focus of my life for a long time. Yes I pray, I seek the Lord's face about everything, but I know that I'm not living in the perfect will of God.. yet!
I dont live in condemnation everyday though, because of my marriage or because of my walk, but I life in Faith and victory because I see God bringing me to a place where I will appreciate my relationship with Him even more because of the practical understanding of who I am in Jesus.
I see Him doing the same thing with my husband.

BerrySweet said:
Of course not one can guarntee that, but I will raise my children in a Christian household. Believe what you will.

All I am saying is that you stated that you could be with someone who is an unbeliever, yet you will raise your children in a Christian household. Wouldn't the best environment in order to raise kids to be in a household where both parents are imparting the Word of God in their lives? If this is best, why do we as Christian women settle for less?

Sweet C said:
All I am saying is that you stated that you could be with someone who is an unbeliever, yet you will raise your children in a Christian household. Wouldn't the best environment in order to raise kids to be in a household where both parents are imparting the Word of God in their lives? If this is best, why do we as Christian women settle for less?

We settle for 'less' for lots of reasons.
1 - We cant wait. because we're either getting older, anxious to have sex or something.

2.- Some of the Christian men in our lives were the worst ever.. worse than the non-christians that we know. So whats the difference.

3 - We just dont have the forsight to understand the need to have a man of faith leading our households..
and the list goes on and on

None are justifications btw.
Discussions like these make me happy to understand the whole concept of Jesus dying on the cross and his ever giving gift of salvation and forgiveness.
Like my mother says, Thank God, that God isnt like man. Cos we'd condemn everyone

trinidarkie1 said:
We settle for 'less' for lots of reasons.
1 - We cant wait. because we're either getting older, anxious to have sex or something.

2.- Some of the Christian men in our lives were the worst ever.. worse than the non-christians that we know. So whats the difference.

3 - We just dont have the forsight to understand the need to have a man of faith leading our households..
and the list goes on and on

None are justifications btw.
Discussions like these make me happy to understand the whole concept of Jesus dying on the cross and his ever giving gift of salvation and forgiveness.
Like my mother says, Thank God, that God isnt like man. Cos we'd condemn everyone

Whew !!!!!:lol: At first I was thinking this is how you felt trini. I was about to go to knee-bone valley.

Zeal said:
Whew !!!!!:lol: At first I was thinking this is how you felt trini. I was about to go to knee-bone valley.

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

trinidarkie1 said:
I wasnt raised to believe that. Although I do now, to some extent. I look at the application of the doctrine in the person's life, somethings just dont mesh for me. For example, saying the rosary and the methods of baptism as a child rather than a conscious decision as an adult with other Christian faiths.

Seriously though, I would encourage any Christian women to seek a man who mirrors her walk with God. know what I mean? someone who you can grow with.

My Christian walk hasnt been a core focus of my life for a long time. Yes I pray, I seek the Lord's face about everything, but I know that I'm not living in the perfect will of God.. yet!
I dont live in condemnation everyday though, because of my marriage or because of my walk, but I life in Faith and victory because I see God bringing me to a place where I will appreciate my relationship with Him even more because of the practical understanding of who I am in Jesus.
I see Him doing the same thing with my husband.

I feel the same way. I've also notice that "some" Catholics tend to revere the Virgin Mary more than Jesus. Waaayyyyy more. And all of the Saints that they pray to...I had no clue there were so many! Should you not just pray to the Lord? I also have a problem with the reverence of the Pope and the hiearchy inself. But that's another topic lol!

Here is what the Bible says about Interfaith Marriage:

1 Corinthians 7:12-17

12But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her.
13And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.
14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.
15Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.
16For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife? 17Only, as the Lord has assigned to each one, as God has called each, in this manner let him walk And so I direct in all the churches.

Last edited:
Poohbear said:
Here is what the Bible says about Interfaith Marriage:

1 Corinthians 7:12-17

12But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her.
13And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.
14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.
15Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.
16For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife? 17Only, as the Lord has assigned to each one, as God has called each, in this manner let him walk And so I direct in all the churches.

Thanks for that Poohbear!

Blossssom said:
I wonder what was the scum of the earth back in Jesus' day? :lol:

I think it's pretty much the same as it is today. Look at who we think of as the scum of the earth now.

But, I think there's a huge difference (or at least there can be) between who we think of as the scum of the earth and who the Lord thinks of that way. For example, we may look at certain people with judgment, but the Lord knows our every thought, every experience, and He knows exactly why we behave the way we do (he saw everything that happened in our lifetime). For example, if there was a woman who the world viewed as a slut, God may know that she had a difficult upbringing, or maybe suffered sex abuse, or maybe looks for that love in men that she didn't get at home. The point is, I think God's ways are so much higher than ours. That's one of the reasons I posed this question about interfaith marriage in the first place.

I wondered if God could bring two different people together and still make a blessed marriage. Some think yes, others think no.

cocoberry10 said:
Thanks for that Poohbear!
Your welcome!

I also wanted to add to my post to explain those verses. I found a commentary that really breaks some of the verses down fairly well:

Verse 14
The blessings that flow to believers don't stop there, but extend to others. God regards the marriage as "sanctified" (set apart for his use) by the presence of one Christian spouse. The other does not receive salvation automatically, but is helped by this relationship. The children of such a marriage are to be regarded as Christians (because of God's blessing on the family unit) until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

Verses 15,16
This verse is misused by some as a loophole to get out of a marriage. But Paul's statements were given to encourage the Christian spouse to try to get along with the unbeliever and make the marriage work. If, however, the unbelieving spouse insisted on leaving, Paul said to let him or her go. The only alternative would be for the Christian to deny his or her faith to preserve the marrage, and that would be worse than dissolving the marriage. Paul's purpose in writing this was to urge the married couples to seek unity, not separation.

Verse 17
Apparently the Corinthians were ready to make wholesale changes without thinking through the ramifications. Paul was writing to say that people should be Christians where they are. You can do God's work and demonstrate your faith anywhere. If you became a Christian after marriage, and your spouse is not a believer, remember that you don't have to be married to a Christian to live for Christ. Don't assume that you are in the wrong place, stuck with the wrong person. You may be just where God wants you (see verse 20).

I found that commentary very helpful and just had to share. Hope that helps some more!!! ;)

Hey mkh_77 and others, this may help clear things up about 2 Corinthians 6:14-17...

In these verses, Paul urged believers not to form binding relationships with nonbelievers because this might weaken their Christian commitment, integrity, or standards. In 1 Corinthains 5:9 & 10, Paul had explained that this did not mean isolating themselves from unbelievers. In the verses I posted (1 Corinthians 7:12 & 13), Paul even told Christians to stay with their nonbelieving spouses. This is what it all boils down to... Paul wanted believers to be active in their witness for Christ to nonbelievers, but they should not lock themselves into personal or business relationships that could cause them to compromise their faith. Believers should avoid situations that would force them to divide their loyalties. That's it.

For those who have discovered God's Kingdom of light, there can be no contact or compromise with the kingdom of darkness. Separation from the world involves more than keeping our distance from sinners; it means staying close to God. It involves more than avoiding entertainment that leads to sin; it extends into how we spend our time and money. There is no way to separate ourselves from all sinful influences (Shoot, we live in a sinful, evil, crooked world). Nevertheless, we are to resist the sin around us, not give up and never give in.

Hope that helps!

cocoberry10 said:
I wondered if God could bring two different people together and still make a blessed marriage. Some think yes, others think no.

Just a couple of brief comments as religious debates tend to get too convoluted and endless at times, although it is understandable. Plus, I'm just a baby in Christ so I can't really discuss anything fully yet.

IMO, and from what has been discussed in my church, ALL marriages are blessed. A marriage is more than a union, it IS a blessing from God.

Moreover, as a Christian, it's right to segregate your ways from the world, but IMO I don't think it's "right" to separate yourselves from the world. And also, an interfaith marriage WILL work--- NOT if YOUR faith isn't a core issue in your life, BUT IMO, ONLY if your faith IS central and the most important in your life.

secretdiamond said:
Just a couple of brief comments as religious debates tend to get too convoluted and endless at times, although it is understandable. Plus, I'm just a baby in Christ so I can't really discuss anything fully yet.

IMO, and from what has been discussed in my church, ALL marriages are blessed. A marriage is more than a union, it IS a blessing from God.

Moreover, as a Christian, it's right to segregate your ways from the world, but IMO I don't think it's "right" to separate yourselves from the world. And also, an interfaith marriage WILL work--- NOT if YOUR faith isn't a core issue in your life, BUT IMO, ONLY if your faith IS central and the most important in your life.

Interesting perspective. I never thought of it that way.

I talked to another friend about this. She is a devout Christian, but a guy she is seeing is Muslim. She believes if he is the one, God will bless their union. Just an added perspective on the topic.

Poohbear said:
Hey mkh_77 and others, this may help clear things up about 2 Corinthians 6:14-17...

In these verses, Paul urged believers not to form binding relationships with nonbelievers because this might weaken their Christian commitment, integrity, or standards. In 1 Corinthains 5:9 & 10, Paul had explained that this did not mean isolating themselves from unbelievers. In the verses I posted (1 Corinthians 7:12 & 13), Paul even told Christians to stay with their nonbelieving spouses. This is what it all boils down to... Paul wanted believers to be active in their witness for Christ to nonbelievers, but they should not lock themselves into personal or business relationships that could cause them to compromise their faith. Believers should avoid situations that would force them to divide their loyalties. That's it.

For those who have discovered God's Kingdom of light, there can be no contact or compromise with the kingdom of darkness. Separation from the world involves more than keeping our distance from sinners; it means staying close to God. It involves more than avoiding entertainment that leads to sin; it extends into how we spend our time and money. There is no way to separate ourselves from all sinful influences (Shoot, we live in a sinful, evil, crooked world). Nevertheless, we are to resist the sin around us, not give up and never give in.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, but I was not, and am not at all confused as to what Paul was trying to get across in that letter. My frustration stemmed from those who were trying to imply that Paul was really talking about marriage when he wasn't. Taking verses out of context to fit your agenda is what was at the heart of my point.

mkh_77 said:
Thank you, but I was not, and am not at all confused as to what Paul was trying to get across in that letter. My frustration stemmed from those who were trying to imply that Paul was really talking about marriage when he wasn't. Taking verses out of context to fit your agenda is what was at the heart of my point.
correct! paul was referring to all types of relationships. ;)

cocoberry10 said:
Do you all believe this is possible? I am not married yet, but I wonder if God would only put me with a Christian. I know we are to love our neighbors.

So, do you all believe that the right person could be Muslim or some other faith? I know the Christian ministers would say no, but I know couples who have had successful marriages, but are not of the same faith.

Only if God comes down from heaven and into your room and says yes then go for it. But I know He will not do that because the Bible says do not be unequally yoke with unbelivers. Some people got married and then find Jesus that is different when someone knows up front. Preachers preach this because this is in the Bible it is God's word on how we should make decisions about our lives. See 2 Corinthians 6:14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
(But read the whole chapter)

If I were you I would not go by what I see from others marriages on the outside some couples are very, very phony in public. The try to fake until they make it. No body knows any body marriage unless they with them behind closed doors.

zanna said:
I am in an interfaith marriage, it is working well for me. I think it's about wether religion is a core issue or not. If it is, then there will be issues in the marriage.
Zanna
This is good point. If do not use Christian principles to make decisions in your marriage it probaly can work. But I do believe God wants us to put in pratice our biblical beliefs. Some relationships are heavy or deep into their faith they sleep and eat Jesus and everything the do with their children, home, decisions etc. is based on the Biblical model. Others may have the faith but it is not use on the forefront of there every life decisions.

This boils down to how close the person or persons what to be close to God. If one is very close to God and the other is not it can cause friction. God himself wants us to be evenly yoke in our union since He was the one that put it together in the first place.

star said:
If I were you I would not go by what I see from others marriages on the outside some couples are very, very phony in public. The try to fake until they make it. No body knows any body marriage unless they with them behind closed doors.

This goes for Christian marriages, too.

star said:
But I know He will not do that because the Bible says do not be unequally yoke with unbelivers.

How do you know what God would and wouldn't do for sure? Maybe he would put a believer and a non-believer together in an effort to save the non-believer.

None of us can fully know or understand God's workings. The best we can do is interpret how we feel God has shown Himself in our lives.

Lastly, while the Bible is an inspired writing, it was written by men.

Well i am not married, but my boyfriend has been a christian his entire like and his church, and quite a few under the same denomination say its best that you marry a christian, but if you don't its your loss. However he got with me, and now im saved.

God willlead you though, if you did marry a non-christian you maybe there way to salvation

1Corinthians Chapter 7 verse 12-16

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

mkh_77 said:
How do you know what God would and wouldn't do for sure? Maybe he would put a believer and a non-believer together in an effort to save the non-believer.

None of us can fully know or understand God's workings. The best we can do is interpret how we feel God has shown Himself in our lives.

Lastly, while the Bible is an inspired writing, it was written by men.

I have to say, I agree with this. I have read and understand everyone's points! Excellent points ladies!

Back