Indigo Users Please Help

Ravenhairedbeauty

Hi ladies I want to use indigo to cover some grays but I'm protein sensitive does anybody know if indigo has a high protein content like henna? TIA. :)

I dont know if it has a high protein rate but I can tell you that for me INDIGO is more drying than HENNA. I still use both but I make sure to do an overnight DC.

I wish I could help more.

I'm not sure either about the protein rate either but like SouthernStunner said it is drying.. It cannot be used alone it must be used with Henna.. I find that when I do a Henna Gloss its less drying then for me because the Henna is mixed with a moisturizing conditioner.. So now I just do a Henna/Indigo Gloss so I won't have to add the Indigo right after the Henna I just add them all together after my color release in my henna.

Hi ladies I want to use indigo to cover some grays but I'm protein sensitive does anybody know if indigo has a high protein content like henna? TIA. :)

Henna and indigo are NOT proteins. However, both have been said to work like a protein treatment because henna and indigo bonds with the keratin in your hair to strengthen it (in the same way a protein treatment works).

So, if you find that your hair feels dry (and hard) when using protein, you have to infuse lots of moisture since you need to have a protein/moisture balance. This means, when using henna you MUST infuse lots of moisture as well.

Here are some suggestions of how to do this when using henna:

1) Mix in a moisture infusing component into the henna mix such as honey, aloe vera, yogurt or using another Indian herb, shikakai.

2) Use your best moisture deep conditioner following the treatment or try a natural way with honey, aloe vera or another product. One thing that comes to mind is Chicoro's moisture infusing mix of aloe vera and oil. Or you can steam with the henna treatment.

Here is a link to an article that talks about why the hair feels dry after using henna: http://www.suite101.com/content/why-does-my-hair-feel-dry-after-henna-a210787

ETA: How were you planning to use the indigo? When I used it, I did it as a two step process - henna first, then 30 minutes with indigo.

I was going to mix with honey and apply I thought that's all I had to do possibly add some coconut milk. I really want to cover my grays naturally but I've just found Ayurveda is not for me.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using T-Mobile myTouch 3G

I was going to mix with honey and apply I thought that's all I had to do possibly add some coconut milk. I really want to cover my grays naturally but I've just found Ayurveda is not for me.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using T-Mobile myTouch 3G

I understand as I have PLENTY of grays. I have done henna + indigo. It looks great and lasts for a while. However, when I decided to go lighter, henna wouldn't work, so I went to Aveda for coloring. Its been easy to manage and their products are as gentle as can be.

mzteaze , Shikakai is not moisturizing, it's strengthening. So mixing that in will only make it more drying. Shikakai used to make my hair hard like I had a protein treatment.

I second that the Indigo seems more drying then the Henna. I bite my nails and grip my chair but it beats boxed hair colors for me because they burn :(

mzteaze , Shikakai is not moisturizing, it's strengthening. So mixing that in will only make it more drying. Shikakai used to make my hair hard like I had a protein treatment.

*CherryPie*
I have never used shikakai, so I wasn't speaking from experience on that particular item. Sorry for the confusion.

However, I was paraphrasing from the link I posted in my original post. Based on everything I have read about it, shikakai is indicated as a detangler and is used basically as a conditioner.

Here is the quote from a few sources:

Typically, shikakai is mixed with water to make a paste which is worked through the hair. It lathers moderately and cleans hair beautifully. It has a natural low pH, is extremely mild, and doesn't strip hair of natural oils. Usually no rinse or conditioner is used since shikakai also acts as a detangler. This ancient product is probably the world's original pH balanced shampoo.

Shikakai is a complete tonic for retaining complete softness of hair. It is a unique remedy for natural and beautiful hair.

http://www.redrosehenna.com/shikakai.html

Also, check the original link in my previous post about how to deal with dryness when using henna. Here is the direct quote:

Adding Moisture to Henna Mixes
Another way to avoid dry hair after hennaing is to add a moisture component to the henna mix itself. Adding oils to henna mixes is not advised (other than tiny amounts of essential oils), as oiling may inhibit dye uptake. A thick henna paste can be mixed with honey, yoghurt (which adds both protein and moisture), aloe vera or a moisturising Indian herb such as shikakai, fenugreek or amla. These additions often make the paste easier to apply, and do not appreciably diminish the potency of the dye.

http://www.suite101.com/content/why-does-my-hair-feel-dry-after-henna-a210787

Here the additional article that talks about how to use shikakai: http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-wash-hair-with-shikakai-a196652

@mzteaze , I understand. They may think that, but shikakai is a strengthener, similar to protein. It strengthens the roots, darken the hair, and can also encourage hairgrowth. I use to use Shikakai. I had to stop because my hair is protein sensitive, and I was getting the same results as if I had used protein.....it also took me a long time to get my moisture back after using it.

Now, Brahmi and Bhringaraj are moisturizing.

Back