Henna Indigo Help PLEASE!!

monami

I want jet black hair. I have 4a/b dry hair. I do not want to use any chemicals so I was thinking Henna Indigo. I ordered some samples off of hennaforhair. I was just hoping please anyone who has experience with Henna/Indigo, please tell me what is in your mix and what benefits you have exeprienced if any...

TIA

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I want jet black hair. I have 4a/b dry hair. I do not want to use any chemicals so I was thinking Henna Indigo. I ordered some samples off of hennaforhair. I was just hoping please anyone who has experience with Henna/Indigo, please tell me what is in your mix and what benefits you have exeprienced if any...

TIA

Hi Monami!
Indigo will give you jet black hair. :yep:
You will have to do 2 treatments back to back; apply henna, rinse and apply the indigo.

Indigo is just for color, but henna adds strength and shine and the resulting color is a red tone. You must do the henna to the hair first. The henna is what the indigo binds to. If you have not done so, read Catherine's guide for henna, Henna for Hair How-To
http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hennahairbook/index.html

Basic mixes for henna are water and some oil, let it sit overnight to release the color. Then use.
Indigo is mixed with plain water and if you desire, CMC, a additive that is used in salad dressing, to make it less splatter prone.

There are many mixes available, but I personally believe, less is more, so I stick to basic mixes. The most important thing to remember is to moisturize your hair well before doing a henna treatment and after. Henna is great, but it can be drying. The biggest turn-off for a lot of novice users is the dryness henna can cause.

Sareca, our resident Queen of Indigo is an excellent source of information. Check out her posts in the henna thread, Do Y'all Henna?

I could go on and on, but I will let some of the other ladies, chime in. :grin:

sareca

I thought I heard my name. :) I just indigo'd last night. :yep:I keep my mixes very simple. If it's your first time using henna, use the sample from hennaforhair.com to strand test on hair harvested from your comb or brush. They don't give you enough to actually do your whole head.

If the strand test goes as expected there's the henna procedure:
  • I start by adding almost boiling water to my henna. I like mine thick so it doesn't drip.
  • While you're waiting for that to cool off I put a moisturizing conditioner on my dry hair, bag it, and sit under the dryer (or a hot towel).
  • When the henna has cooled enough to handle I rinse the conditioner, towel dry, and apply the henna.
  • Wrap your head in plastic wrap for 30 minutes (with or without heat)
  • Mix the indigo (just hot water and indigo) and let it sit for 10-15 minutes
  • Rinse the henna and apply the indigo (you don't worry about rinsing all of the henna and don't bother poo'g)
  • Wrap your head again and sit for 30 minutes (with or without heat)
  • Rinse well, apply conditioner, rinse again, repeat, poo, apply conditioner (this time leave it for a while), rinse, style
  • With all that rinsing, poo'g, and conditioner you'd think it would be all out. It's not! You will see indigo in the rinse water for the next few washes.
A few things to remember:
  1. Use dark colored towel
  2. Wear gloves. Henna is used for body art too. :)
  3. Try leaning over the sink (or trash can) while applying henna.
  4. Don't rinse in the shower always rinse in the sink
  5. Henna can be drying so skip the protein conditioner for a few days before and after and ALWAYS follow henna with a moisturizing conditioner
  6. Oil rinses help me control the dryness as does conditioning before applying the henna
Ummm... that's all I can think of... feel free to PM w/ questions. :)

The benefits are many... all natural, strong, shiny, black hair are my favorites.

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
And you know that! I knew you would come through! :grin:

I thought I heard my name. :) I just indigo'd last night. :yep:I keep my mixes very simple. If it's your first time using henna, use the sample from hennaforhair.com to strand test on hair harvested from your comb or brush. They don't give you enough to actually do your whole head.

• I start by adding almost boiling water to my henna. I like mine thick so it doesn't drip.
  • While you're waiting for that to cool off I put a moisturizing conditioner on my dry hair, bag it, and sit under the dryer (or a hot towel).
  • When the henna has cooled enough to handle I rinse the conditioner, towel dry, and apply the henna.
  • Rinse the henna and apply the indigo (you don't worry about rinsing all of the henna and don't bother poo'g)
  • Rinse well, apply conditioner, rinse again, repeat, poo, apply conditioner (this time leave it for a while), rinse, style
  • With all that rinsing, poo'g, and conditioner you'd think it would be all out. It's not! You will see indigo in the rinse water for the next few washes.
  5. Henna can be drying so skip the protein conditioner for a few days before and after and ALWAYS follow henna with a moisturizing conditioner
  6. Oil rinses help me control the dryness as does conditioning before applying the henna

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing

The benefits are many... all natural, strong, shiny, black hair are my favorites.

When you say "repeat" do you mean repeat by re-applying the indigo, and then re-shampooing, conditioning, etc.?

Also, you only use water to mix with the henna and water to mix with the indigo? No oils or anything?

Thanks!

Malvada

I am never able to get the indigo to last,.... Am I doing something wrong? I used to use Hennalucent Gleaming Ebony but they discontinued it.
Thanks In Advance