In the midst of a set-back: sew in...HELP!

blksndrlla

Hey Ladies!

So, I got a sew-in last wednesday. Long story short, it was too tight. It was tight when braiding and tighter when sewing. I DID speak up, but yeah... I've been back to the salon twice to have it loosened. She took out the bottom 2 tracks, but it is still pulling. She was polite and all that jazz. However, now I have some form of bumps (it almost feels scar-ish) and it still hurts. I am in less pain. I am supposed to go back on Wednesday to have all the tracks removed and the braids adjusted.

Should I just do a take-down and try to nurture my hair or would it be better to leave it in...especially after the next adjustment. I thought it may be better to leave it in b/c there will be little manipulation and I know if I take it down my hair will have to manipulate it.

When it is supposed to be adjusted on Wednesday, I plan on having her leave the hair out at the nape that is currently being pulled. My edges, nape and horseshoe are already out.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I so didn't want to have to make this post. I was so hopeful. On a good note, it looks great...LOL. Too bad I won't sacrifice my hair for my weave...:lachen:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
Thanks to everyone!

I took down the tracks. My head is thanking me! I will re-evaluate on Wednesday if I am going to get the tracks put back in...the actual braids aren't tight. So, we'll see.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:
I took the braids down. My scalp is SO sore. My edges (on the right) look thinner, but I won't know until I wash. Also, my nape is just cursing me...the bumps/sores are horendous. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Last edited:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
If not for the bumps, or if she could do it tomorrow, I'd advise you wait until she readjusts it and see if the pain stops. But those bumps are some serious business...you should probably take it out.

Why is she waiting until Wednesday? She can't do it tomorrow?

blksndrlla

If not for the bumps, or if she could do it tomorrow, I'd advise you wait until she readjusts it and see if the pain stops. But those bumps are some serious business...you should probably take it out.

Why is she waiting until Wednesday? She can't do it tomorrow?

She can't fit me in tomorrow. I almost feel like I've already suffered this long...so, what is 2 more days. I kinda feel like the damage is done.

blksndrlla

I guess I need to take it out. This is the 3rd weave experience gone bad in about 10 months... I know it is hair health over money, but...yeah...this is a lot of money.

One thing is...I don't know if it is just it was so tight for so long that it still hurts. Like bruised kinda. I mean, it is considerably looser.

I guess I am just trying to rationalize it...

ms.blue

I used to think "the tighter the better" when came to weaves. The girl who used do.my weaves said it would last longer. Then I saw her hairline and made me change my mind. The new girl who did my weaves was going through my head and found two small bald spots about an inch away from my hairline but b4 my ears. I asked would have seen that and the new girl said yes and that was messed up what was doing to my sister (she also found a bald spot on her also). The left side has grown in but the right bald spot is smooth and hardly has hair on it but it is easily covered. Lesson of the story if it's tight take it out. I rather lose money then my hair.

Last edited:

blksndrlla

Thanks to everyone!

I took down the tracks. My head is thanking me! I will re-evaluate on Wednesday if I am going to get the tracks put back in...the actual braids aren't tight. So, we'll see.

AmyRose92

I think you did the absolute best thing for your hair in removing those tracks. I have traction alopecia from two years ago that I'm still recovering from so I wouldn't want to see someone fall into the same mess that I did.

In any case, keep nursing your hair, be gentle with it, and you'll be bouncing back in no time :yep:

honeybuni84

i would just leave it down... i am coming back from a personal thinning set back from sew ins.. I believe too tight braids will leave you with thinning hair over the long term

blksndrlla

I took out the braids this morning...Not looking back. I need to baby the crap out of my hair and scalp. Sigh...protective styling gone WRONG!

Ediese

I'm happy you took it down. I've had situations where it did hurt the day of and probably the next day, but that was the extent of it. Once you see those bumps forming, that's a sign that too much tension is being applied to your strands. Most times, the pain comes in when they're trying to sew down the braids so they sew-in looks flat. If you get it done again, make sure you let her know to not braid it tight, and don't pull the thread too tight either.

blksndrlla

I'm happy you took it down. I've had situations where it did hurt the day of and probably the next day, but that was the extent of it. Once you see those bumps forming, that's a sign that too much tension is being applied to your strands. Most times, the pain comes in when they're trying to sew down the braids so they sew-in looks flat. If you get it done again, make sure you let her know to not braid it tight, and don't pull the thread too tight either.

I have definitely learned my lesson and won't forget it...ever!