I want sew-in tracks!!! Please help!!!

fattyfatfat

I need some help!!!! I asked my hair lady if I could get tracks (my hair is a mess and I want it away for the summer). She told me no because I do not have a relaxer in. So I am ready for a relaxer and tracks. My question is, has anyone had any bad experiences with sew-in tracks? If not, whats a good amount of time to keep them in? Thanks in advance!

You don't need a relaxer to get tracks in. don't leave them in for more than 2 months max, what kind of weave are you getting, will all your hair be covered, parts? how will you moisturize your real hair underneath? that's important.

Last edited:
really? she told me i did need a relaxer. well...i can see why she said that. my hair is natural right now. i just got it straightened on wednesday and today its already a little puffy. she said my hair would puff up and show which i can definately see happening. what kind of weave? ummm...i dont know, im not too advanced in hair stuff. i think all of my hair will be covered and to moisture my hair, i will use something light so the tracks wont get messed up.

danithefatty said:
really? she told me i did need a relaxer. well...i can see why she said that. my hair is natural right now. i just got it straightened on wednesday and today its already a little puffy. she said my hair would puff up and show which i can definately see happening. what kind of weave? ummm...i dont know, im not too advanced in hair stuff. i think all of my hair will be covered and to moisture my hair, i will use something light so the tracks wont get messed up.

You dont have to relax your hair unless you really want to. I wore weaves for 2 years with natural hair. I would leave a little bit out in the front and get my hairdresser to flat iron it so it would blend with the weave. Since the majority of your hair is going to be braided and tucked away, I dont understnd why she said it would puff up...

I used to be a HUGE fan of sew in weave but I no longer wear them. The main reason is, I can't wash my hair as often as I would like to. I also find that once the weave is washed, it begins to shed more and puffs up more. Meaning that you have to work twice as hard to keep it flat.

I find curly or wet and wavy weaves easier with natural hair. You dont have to worry about blend your hair as much.

If you do decide to get a weave , just make sure take care of your hair underneath as best you can.

Last edited:
i doubt if i left some of my hair out it would blend in with the weave. it would be too obvious. my hair is definately too hard to handle. it puffs up quick. so if i get a relaxer, would that be bad too have the weave on top of it? i thought that would make it break off more. maybe im wrong. im new to this whole sew-in weave thing.

danithefatty said:
i doubt if i left some of my hair out it would blend in with the weave. it would be too obvious. my hair is definately too hard to handle. it puffs up quick. so if i get a relaxer, would that be bad too have the weave on top of it? i thought that would make it break off more. maybe im wrong. im new to this whole sew-in weave thing.

no it wouldnt be bad to weave on top of the relaxer. Just keep it moisturized with something like S-curl or Sta-sof-fro moisturizer spray. Also, makes sure the hairdresser doesnt braid your hair too tight underneath. Go to the stylist ( or someone who is familiar with caring for weaves) to get it washed at least once every two weeks. Good luck :)

ok...next question. i have color in my hair. will that not work well with the relaxer? sorry for all my questions but i just want to make sure i do this right. i guess ill get the relaxer this coming week, and then get the sew-in the week after.

danithefatty said:

Unless you wanted to have relaxed hair before this it is not necessary. NO DON'T COLOUR AND RELAX to be on the safe side people who relax should use rinses/temp colour not permanent that's double processing.
Also if you get relaxed and weave you'll still have the natural new growth come in so what she's saying is bunk, plus you'll have to watch the 2 textures when you unbraid/undo the weave cause it will tangle esp. when you have bone straight relaxer growing out. ALL STYLISTS ANSWERS TO EVERYTHING IS THE SAME= RELAX THAT HAIR-they seem to hate natural hair. The braids will hold better if your hair is natural, take it from me, I've been wearing braided weave for 2 years @ least I'm 100% natural, and I deep condish in between braidings when I take a break from it. I have step by step instructions in my journal.

Sew-in-Full head braided weave:
http://www.freewebs.com/luciaj/myblog.htm
hth

Last edited:
I am natural and currently in a sew-in. My hair that is left out is flat ironed and it blends very well with my hair. It really would depend on the type of hair she uses. My hair looks very natural. I have hair at the top left out and the perimeter. Right now I have my hair up in a ponytail and does not at all look like I have hair added. It all depends on the hair and the stylist.

I wanted a straight weave but I was afraid the natural hair left out would puff up and not blend. To those who are natural and have a sew in what did u do to straighten the hair left out? How often do you have it straightened? And how do you keep it from reverting? ((Sorry to hijack))

To the OP: If you plan on wearing your hair weaved for awhile, it's probably best to just have the piece left out relaxed- most stylists I know recommend this. I also wouldn't go longer than 1-2 months max (relaxed) and 3 months (natural) because of the matting/shedding potential. I've had bad experiences with sew ins in the past b.c I thought I was giving my hair a "break". Yeah right. That's only partially true. Don't make the mistake and think that just because it's tucked away and out of sight you're off the hook. Deep condition your hair before and after, moisturize your hair and oil your scalp SPARINGLY (or else the weave.. :nono: ). If your hair is short or thin I'd also recommend having them reinforce the cornrows with synthetic hair. It helps the braids last longer and decreases the tension put on your hair with the needle, track, brushing etc.

thanks for all of your responses. i also just heard that i should relax my hair before doing a sew-in. ahhhhh so confusing! i just dont want my real hair to suffer since its already been suffering since forever and a day. :(. i dont plan on leaving the sew-in in for more than a month. im thinking im just going to have my hair lady here straighten my hair, then when i go back home get the sew-in. next question...how much does one normally cost?

Dan,

Please don't relax your hair for a one month weave. Your hair stylist is probably not skilled enough if she's telling you these things.

I don't care how puffy, nappy, kinky your hair is, there is someone out there who can press your hair into a straight style that lasts for at least two weeks at a time. You might have to go to one of those old timers.

Or you can get a curly or wavy weave so that if your hair does puff up, the different textures won't be so obvious. Or you could even consider texturizing your exposed hair to blend in with the weave.

Considering you have color in your hair, you're asking for trouble to relax and to do a sew in in the same week.

I suggest you invest in a better 'weavologist' to get your hair done right.

Good luck.

Baha_Ma said:
I wanted a straight weave but I was afraid the natural hair left out would puff up and not blend. To those who are natural and have a sew in what did u do to straighten the hair left out? How often do you have it straightened? And how do you keep it from reverting? ((Sorry to hijack))

I used to wear sew-in weaves. When I first got it, I left half of my own hair out. It was a major pain keeping my natural hair as straight as the weave hair. I live in the South where it is very humid, and it was nearly impossible. One really hot humid day was enough to make it go back, and if it was raining that day, well you could just forget it. I had to press every single day in the morning, after showers, exercising. It got to be so much that I eventually had my stylist braid up all of my natural hair. If I had it to do over again, I would probably not use straight weave hair, but kinky straight weave hair.

To the OP: If you plan on wearing your hair weaved for awhile, it's probably best to just have the piece left out relaxed- most stylists I know recommend this. I also wouldn't go longer than 1-2 months max (relaxed) and 3 months (natural) because of the matting/shedding potential. I've had bad experiences with sew ins in the past b.c I thought I was giving my hair a "break". Yeah right. That's only partially true. Don't make the mistake and think that just because it's tucked away and out of sight you're off the hook. Deep condition your hair before and after, moisturize your hair and oil your scalp SPARINGLY (or else the weave.. :nono: ). If your hair is short or thin I'd also recommend having them reinforce the cornrows with synthetic hair. It helps the braids last longer and decreases the tension put on your hair with the needle, track, brushing etc.

This is such good advice!

I get a full head weave, and I'm 100% natural with thick course 4a/b hair. And it lies flat, not a bump in site. And the one time I left some of my hair out (the 1st time I got it weaved) I went to my salon and the lady flat ironed it, and it blended 100%. You don't need to get it relaxed, that's silly (unless you wanted to)

I just wanted to add (can't edit on my sidekick) but in the pics in my siggy I'm wearing a full head weave. If its a good weaver they will cope just fine.

Crissi said:
I get a full head weave, and I'm 100% natural with thick course 4a/b hair. And it lies flat, not a bump in site. And the one time I left some of my hair out (the 1st time I got it weaved) I went to my salon and the lady flat ironed it, and it blended 100%. You don't need to get it relaxed, that's silly (unless you wanted to)

ive concluded that i will not relax my hair. ill get her to straighten it and ill go up and get the weave in.

next question...how do i take it out?

I use a small pair of scissors, cut the thread, gently pull the wefts off then undo the plaits

If you don't relax and leave some of your hair out, be sure to get a good quality hair that matches your texture.

Otherwise it will not look good.

I used to get weaves, but I am relaxed. I got frustrated with trying to make it look more natural w/o having to manipulate any of the hair that is left out all the time. That reason alone is why I grew tired of weaves.

Or you could just get a full weave with none of your hair out.

Where can I get some quality hair without paying a arm and a leg? $65 dollars for 10' hair is too much for me to pay, especially when I want at least 14'

sky_blu said:
Where can I get some quality hair without paying a arm and a leg? $65 dollars for 10' hair is too much for me to pay, especially when I want at least 14'

This is just my opinion, but most of the nicer hair that tangles less, matches type 4 textured hair, and sheds less will cost that much or more.

Any less and you have to deal with the drama after you wash it. I think Sensationnel Premium Plus and Permium Now are okay and they cost about $30 a pack, I think.

bump

Great thread! I've learned so much in a short period of time. I will be getting my 1st sew in next weekend for my 2 graduation ceremonies in the following 2 weeks, and I'm looking for a style that will last that period of time. So far, since I have natural hair it sounds like curly or kinky straight hair will be best.

What's a reasonable price for professional hair weaving--$180?

Sweetyb said:
bump

Great thread! I've learned so much in a short period of time. I will be getting my 1st sew in next weekend for my 2 graduation ceremonies in the following 2 weeks, and I'm looking for a style that will last that period of time. So far, since I have natural hair it sounds like curly or kinky straight hair will be best.

What's a reasonable price for professional hair weaving--$180?

Yeah. I have paid between $150 -200 for my weaves here in the ATL.

Thx X for your reply! So the price is ok :) But about the hair, how technical does it get. What's small weft... I guess vs large weft? How can you tell what's good quality--what are the common brand names, if any? (I had a ponytail that I had washed once and it lost its integrity :ohwell: ) Is there a guideline to how many packs you should buy?

I'm going to the store right now to check out some hair and hopefully I see something nice.

I'm getting a straight next week and I have a couple question: (I'm transitioning also)

1. What's the best hair/brand I should get?

2. How do I take care of my hair underneath?

I have more but I cant think of them right now....

I agree with everyone..you do not need to put a relaxer in your hair just to get a weave. I am natural..and did not think my texture would blend with the "silky" weave hair (if thats what you are getting). But you would be surprised. A marcel flat iron will get the job done. Just make sure she does not leave too much of your hair out. I would even go as far as saying you might look into getting another hairdresser because she should KNOW better. Also, It has been my experience that color already dries the hair out..add a relaxer to that and it could be disasterous. Feel free to PM me if you want more info...HTH

Back